• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are the FN SPR enthusiasts extinct?

You might have bought my SPR! If so, that's the original box of a different, identical rifle. The box is of my first one, but that rifle was my third one. I figured somebody would appreciate it more than me.

As for the 300 WSM PBR I just got from a member here, extraction isn't great like the 308 guns. I've only put about 40 rounds through it, but the bore was really nice with some cracking in the throat. I had heard the 300 WSM does that pretty quick.

I think these would have sold better if:
-they offered 6.5 creed at some point
-MSRP wasn't intimidatingly double or triple the street price
-they did absolutely any advertising or youtube shillery at all

They made my new favorite rifle, but also dropped the ball. My only complaint about the rifle itself is it didn't come in 6.5 so that I would buy more of them. An FN hammer forged, chrome lined 6.5 barrel would tickle my pickle for sure.
Hiya brother. Thanks for the information, seems I got yours SPR. It’s arriving today and I can’t wait to pick it up from my FFL. I just purchased a TBM kit to go with the gun. This is the most expensive bolt action I’ve own and I’m very excited to make it to be my favorite!

I didn't read ALL the pages but I will chime in on the FN SPR.

I LOVE THEM......and I build rifles for a living. I recommend a PTG AICS bottom metal pretty much instantly though.

You can (or used to....pre-crazy) buy them for $1k or less.......they are chrome-lined......and most are solid sub 1/2moa shooters.

Where else are you going to buy a mcmillan stocked rifle, decent barrel, good pic rail, and serviceable trigger for $1,000 or less?

They are a perfect option for the newbie who wants a 308win or 300wsm.

Even though I have quite a few laying around.......I will still pick them up when I see it for less than $1k.

You are hard-pressed to buy a custom action for $1k nowadays. Let alone a rifle you can plop a scope/rings on and shoot a 308 only match and be competitive.

Ern

Follow up.....

Is the FN SPR the Mercedes of Rifles......of course not.

Are they competitive to costlier 308win rifles......absolutely.

I am not a fan of the 12twist barrels......so I shoot 155gr bullets out of mine. If I need more distance or energy.....I am not shooting 308win anyway. Can the actions and general craftsmanship be improved on the FNs?......of course......but get out your wallet.

I guess what I am saying is........buy it......AICS DBM it......do a little trigger work......maybe bed it (if needed)......and shoot it for 10k+ rounds. I spoke with the main guy on the SPR program back in the day and really pushed him to experiment with chromelining 6.5mm cartridges (the 260rem was the new LR hotness at the time)........but it was easier to stick with 308win.....all the R&D had been done decades ago by FN.

Best bang for your buck right there.

When you wear that thing out and IF you still enjoy LR shooting.....haha.....then take a look at the top shelf customs.

Ern

None of the top shelf customs offer me enough difference to move away from the SPR platform. I need to order a McMillan HTG in forest came for one of mine. I've been waiting for years to find one, and I'm sure I never will so will have to order one. I already have the Williams two piece bottom metal in the white.

The biggest issue with the SPR was aftermarket support. Everything is a clone of and caters to the Remington 700 footprint.

In one of my earlier posts I listed how many rounds have been shot down my chrome lined 308 barrel. Primarily the 175 SMK over IMR 4064. Really solid contender out to 1,000 yards.

Last edited:
Follow up.....

I am not a fan of the 12twist barrels......so I shoot 155gr bullets out of mine. If I need more distance or energy.....I am not shooting 308win anyway. Can the actions and general craftsmanship be improved on the FNs?......of course......but get out your wallet.

I guess what I am saying is........buy it......AICS DBM it......do a little trigger work......maybe bed it (if needed)......and shoot it for 10k+ rounds. I spoke with the main guy on the SPR program back in the day and really pushed him to experiment with chromelining 6.5mm cartridges (the 260rem was the new LR hotness at the time)........but it was easier to stick with 308win.....all the R&D had been done decades ago by FN.

When you wear that thing out and IF you still enjoy LR shooting.....haha.....then take a look at the top shelf customs.

Ern
I notice that there are a lot of hates on the 1:12 twist on 308 barrels. But one just ignore the fact that twist rate always works together with the barrel length. In my opinion the 12 twist rate for 24” barrel is an excellent twist rate since it gives bullet 2 full rotation upon exit. 1:10 twist tends to work better on shorter barrels 20” or less. Also, slower twist rate goes easy on the rifling and thus lengthen the barrel life.

TLDR: 1:12 twist on 24inch works just as good as 1:10 on 20inch barrel.

CG Xtreme mod 22 trigger gets my vote. Fully adjustable ball bearing pivot points. You can not feel anything moving, just 1st and 2nd stage pressure weight.

Reactions: Basher
Appears the web store was hosted on a godaddy domain. Wonder if they got canceled by that shit vendor also?

Follow up.....

Ern
Why do you say you aren’t a fan of 1/12 and then not list the reasons??? I freaking hate when people do that. It adds nothing to the thread. I like 1/12 and it’s because my SPR A2/A4 stabilizes 175 FGMM great. The gun is a 1/2 MOA rifle with 1/12. 24 inch barrel with 175 SMK. My 1/10 twist A5M isn’t shooting as good. I have tried everything to get it to.

Attachments

• 3C70568A-A4AA-4C95-AB21-5621F246B154.jpeg
    3C70568A-A4AA-4C95-AB21-5621F246B154.jpeg
    266.7 KB · Views: 82
I don't prefer a 12 twist because I also shoot 185 juggernauts and 208 amaxs out of 308win as well. In my experience these won't stabilize in MY 12 twist SPRs.

Also, just because it groups at 100yds doesn't mean it will at distance.......the bullets might become unstable and open up.

Hopefully this answered my dislike for a 12 twist.

Ern

Reactions: Master Gunny
I have shot my SPR A1 in F Class T/R for 4 years now. My 1-12 stabilizes 175 smk to 1000 yards consistently. I'm only a mid 290s shooter anyway, but the rifle isnt the reason. I HAVE dominated some F T/R midrange matches with it. I did find it would not stabalize 190 Smk bullets and didnt really like the 178 eld-m much.

Last edited:
Yepper......that's why I like running a faster twist than "required". Bullets are not getting any lighter/shorter.......it's better to be a little overkill than find yourself with not enough.

I do a ton of 8/9 twist 308wins for MIL guys too......they have pretty much debunked the "lose velocity with faster than needed twist rate" theory and they shoot accurately well beyond the transonic range too.

Ern

I don't prefer a 12 twist because I also shoot 185 juggernauts and 208 amaxs out of 308win as well. In my experience these won't stabilize in MY 12 twist SPRs.

Also, just because it groups at 100yds doesn't mean it will at distance.......the bullets might become unstable and open up.

Hopefully this answered my dislike for a 12 twist.

Ern
Well thank you for answering. My 24 inch 1/12 stabilizes to at least 800 yds with FGMM 175. Haven’t shot further.

My 1:12 A3G apparently hates all 168’s but loves every 175 I’ve thrown at it.

Reactions: Master Gunny
Yepper......that's why I like running a faster twist than "required". Bullets are not getting any lighter/shorter.......it's better to be a little overkill than find yourself with not enough.

I do a ton of 8/9 twist 308wins for MIL guys too......they have pretty much debunked the "lose velocity with faster than needed twist rate" theory and they shoot accurately well beyond the transonic range too.

Ern
When I rebarrel I plan to go 1-10. Problem is this damned thing just flat out shoots. I've won our annual groundhog shoot, crow shoot and a couple informal benchrest matches at the local range.
Sometimes I toy with the idea of a lower recoil, better ballistic option for a rebarrel. 2 things stop me.
1) it's my go to rifle and it's in a cheap, common round
2) I refuse to go creedmoor.

Keep it stock.

I build rifles for a living and I giggle like a schoolgirl when I find a box stock fn spr at a great price. Something about a no frills chromelined bolt gun. I've loaned mine out multiple times and they always come back with praise.

Hell I even got lucky enough to win one on a dice roll at the Alleghany Sniper Challenge when FN/Corbon sponsored it.

Keep it stock.

I build rifles for a living and I giggle like a schoolgirl when I find a box stock fn spr at a great price. Something about a no frills chromelined bolt gun. I've loaned mine out multiple times and they always come back with praise.

Hell I even got lucky enough to win one on a dice roll at the Alleghany Sniper Challenge when FN/Corbon sponsored it.
Got a general chromelined with fn action question. Mind if I pm you

Did anyone else here shoot the FN/USO/Corbon sponsored ASC when all competitors were issued an SPR with fixed 10x USO?

20" .308s with 1:12" twist, 10 power and 175gr SMKs. Somehow targets got hit.

Keep it stock.

I would love to keep it stock, but I shoot it enough that the barrel maybe has a season or 2 left in it. It will get rebarreled and continual use.

Did anyone else here shoot the FN/USO/Corbon sponsored ASC when all competitors were issued an SPR with fixed 10x USO?

20" .308s with 1:12" twist, 10 power and 175gr SMKs. Somehow targets got hit.
When was this match held? I thought the SPRs were out of production? No?

It was in the fall of 2010. So along time ago.

If I remember right, it was two weekend matches (Labor Day and Columbus Day) with about 25 shooters each. Shooters had the option to buy their match-issued rifle at the close of the second match. It was a very neat experience. I think just under half of the rifles were purchased.

Hey, any of you guys ever have a chrome lined FN SPR barrel cut down? I know there are tons of threads on the subject but I'm really looking for "real world" experience with the FN barrels regarding flaking, accuracy ect. I'm thinking of sending mine to ADCO (I've used them before).
Thanks in advance..

Hey, any of you guys ever have a chrome lined FN SPR barrel cut down? I know there are tons of threads on the subject but I'm really looking for "real world" experience with the FN barrels regarding flaking, accuracy ect. I'm thinking of sending mine to ADCO (I've used them before).
Thanks in advance..
I would just replace the barrel with something else. Don’t destroy it. Hold onto it in case you change your mind

He's just reminiscing about an FN match and some participants vehicles. No need for the dope attack.

Are you smoking dope??? Wrong thread bro. Get on the Ford forum. This is a weapons forum. Also, stop with your giggling like a little school girl. Not a good fit on this forum. Go somewhere else with your perverse crap.

Are you smoking dope??? Wrong thread bro. Get on the Ford forum. This is a weapons forum. Also, stop with your giggling like a little school girl. Not a good fit on this forum. Go somewhere else with your perverse crap.
Funny how a guy who joined last year feels the need to berate someone who's been a member for 15 years. How about you shut your fucking cockholster?

I am still hesitant to cut my barrel even though almost every gunsmith I've see say it's fine if done right. If I ever decide to get it threaded I'll probably go ahead and chop the barrel down.

Can anyone recommend a good place to send my FN SPR bolt to be upgraded to a larger, tactical bolt knob? Also, if you have pictures of work, can you share?

Thanks,
One Holer

Can anyone recommend a good place to send my FN SPR bolt to be upgraded to a larger, tactical bolt knob? Also, if you have pictures of work, can you share?

Thanks,
One Holer
Hit up SAC. I think I had a week turn around on mine a few years back. Perfect fit and finish.

scroll up and you’ll see the pics I posted. That knob is their handy work.

100/10 would contact them again if I had another knob to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: One Holer
Hot up SAC. I think I had a week turn around on mine a few years back. Perfect fit and finish.

scroll up and you’ll see the pics I posted. That knob is their handy work.

100/10 would contact them again if I had another knob to do.
Thanks for the info.
Mark at Short Action Customs did mine over a decade ago. The work is amazing and would absolutely recommend him.
Thanks.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
Funny how a guy who joined last year feels the need to berate someone who's been a member for 15 years. How about you shut your fucking cockholster?
You on the other hand can kiss my ass.. I don’t give a damn how long anyone has been on here. I was wrong and apologized. Now shut your cock holster.

Last edited:
Reactions: M8541Reaper
You on the other hand can kiss my ass.. I don’t give a damn how long anyone has been on here. I was wrong and apologized. Now shit your cock holster.
Did I hurt your little feelings after you bullied someone for no reason? Suck a dick Nancy.

Reactions: J-Ham
Did I hurt your little feelings after you bullied someone for no reason? Suck a dick Nancy.
“Bullied someone”. You liberal woke wuss.. I’m not a soldier.. I don’t get my feelings hurt. Must be a doggie thing.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: gunjunkie45