• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Arken Optics EP-4 Tracking Test Video

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Arken Optics EP-4 Tracking Test Video

Before the weather changes to ice and snow, I managed to get out on the range to shoot a few videos. Two of them were online training lessons, but one I wanted to do a short piece on the Arken Optics EP-4 4-16x Scope as I have one here.

This scope retails for $550 and at first glance, it appears to be a very capable scope. The feature set includes a zero scope, ED Glass, and plenty of elevation for the new shooter. All this is great but the most important question is, does it track?

The scope comes with a tracking guarantee, and looking at the overall package they definitely spec'd out a decent scope for not a lot of money. This scope can easily compare with any other OEM scope selling for $1000 to $1500, in other words, it's punching above it's weight class.

IMG_1705J.jpg

IMG_0088J.jpg

I have not shot it yet, but after the marketing posts and reaction it received I wanted to jump on this as quick as possible.

No hype necessary, just a fact there is truth in advertising with somethings and testing this scope, it was clear to me it was tracking 100%. I tested it at 10 Mils and at 13.3 Mils on the 4ft Level pictured above.

The sight picture on this optic is very good, it's easy to get behind, the look and clean and what you would expect. The only thing left is to see how it holds up to recoil, and use over time. But at $550 I don't it as a big gamble, just a solid offering from a new company.

Nice touch with getting onto the testing early to try and limit the shit going on in the Arken thread ?
    And great to see another scope manufacturer pushing the boundaries of other manufacturers.

It sounds like it might make a decent scope to put on cheap spare ARs so you can have something decent without spending more than the gun cost.

Reactions: Lowlight
    Much appreciate you taken the time to do this for us. Just in time for the holidays!

Its crazy looking at what 1000 bucks got you 5 years ago VS today. Speaking to scopes specifically. I would like to get my hands on one, and check it out over the winter.

If only it and the 4-14x44 were illuminated, i would have one.

WTF is up with that reticle?
    Are those upside down chevrons to show you where the aiming point is? they are certainly useless for holdunders, which, admittedly, you don't do too often. Gee, if they only blinked in order.

They are also completely useless for measuring anything.
    I realize that trying to avoid patent infringement is a bit difficult, but I would rather have nothing above the POA instead of that abomination.

It's a rapid ranging reticle

It's not for holds, you put the target between the V and where it lines up is the range

the Military still does reticle ranging and they have several RTE (rapid target engagement) variations on how to do it.

But this just simple reticle ranging
    What is the subtension?
    Does it seem actually useful to you?

It's usually shoulders or 18" wide for a human torso

They are not the only ones doing it, you'll probably likely to see more of a similar fashion in 2020

Me Too Steve, or is it #metoo

I will see if they say in the instructions
    I looked at the manual provided online, it didn't address it.

Cool, we can use EGW base and Burris rings again.

Bit of a jump to say it tracked 100% to we or me endorsed it

I reported a fact after a check of a single unit, yes it’s a great bang for the buck and it punches above its weigh class, but that said,

I have no clue who that FB guy is and never added more than what you read here

Last edited:
    Stupid question but I see a lot of horizontal movement when you are dialing vertically. It appears to come back in line once you stop dialing but doesn't travel up and down in a straight line. Do you see this as an issue?

You are looking too much into it,

that is me moving the fixture because the one I am using has rubber feet.

If you are really paying attention you see me checking parallax, moving it and letting it settle in, because, I AM MOVING IT

The fixture is 27LBS, the new versions are 30BLBS and the feet were changed.

My bench is also metal and concrete into the ground, if I lean on the table or touch it, the fixture will move.

Stop trying to find an issue that doesn't exist, we ar moving the scope by turning the turret, you are gonna see movement.

WTF is up with that reticle?
    Are those upside down chevrons to show you where the aiming point is? they are certainly useless for holdunders, which, admittedly, you don't do too often. Gee, if they only blinked in order.

They are also completely useless for measuring anything.
    I realize that trying to avoid patent infringement is a bit difficult, but I would rather have nothing above the POA instead of that abomination.

It works like this when you turn on the lights
    Sequenced-Lights-64b.gif

Not if yout using .05 cm clicks huh @AIAW ? ?

Oh indeed - if one doesn't mind dialing for ages on the .05 turrets :LOL:

.1 MIL (1/10th) turrets = 0.36" per-click @ 100 yards
    .25 MOA (1/4) turrets = 0.262" per-click at @ 100 yards
    .05 MIL (1/20th) turrets = 0.18" per-click @ 100 yards

32 percent more "clicking" required versus 1/4 MOA.
    50 percent more "clicking" required versus 1/10 MIL.

Last edited:
    No other scopes, that I'm aware of in this price bracke,t have 32mils total adjustment range (if true).

Reactions: PBR DRIVER
    Oh indeed - if one doesn't mind dialing for ages on the .05 turrets :LOL:

.1 MIL (1/10th) turrets = 0.36" per-click @ 100 yards
    .25 MOA (1/4) turrets = 0.262" per-click at @ 100 yards
    .05 MIL (1/20th) turrets = 0.18" per-click @ 100 yards

32 percent more "clicking" required versus 1/4 MOA.
    50 percent more "clicking" required versus 1/10 MIL.
    You forgot about 1/8 moa clicks ?

Reactions: AIAW
    I have a Bushnell Elite 2/16 scope. Laid it on the side of a 500 meter berm behind a ram. It survived the match. Covered with dirt and peppered a little. Then I threw it over the berm to simulate T-Rex jumping for cover just like on his older cancelled radio show. Did that a few times and it held up.