• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Armalite or DPMS SASS?

CPEC0402

Private
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2009
Indiana
I'm planning on buying a SASS, but can't decide which one to purchase. Does anybody have either the Armalite or DPMS version, and if so, how do they perform? Quality? I noticed that the DPMS version has an 18" barrel as compared to the Armalite's 20" barrel. Does the shorter barrel give a noticeable difference at longer distances? I'd like to shoot 800M or beyond. I've always used a bolt gun, so any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Armalite or DPMS SASS?

I am sure you will get all kinds of responses to your question but as a owner of a DPMS SASS in 5.56 and 308 I am pretty sure you would not see any difference. One item to look at is magazine availability. The SASS right now is not all that easy to find one so I would get either model if given the opportunity.

As far as 18" versus 20" - again, I don't think you would see all that much difference in the two but there are equations on how much FPS you lose per inch of barrel length. I don't think you are going to be able to tell the difference. It will not be noticeable to the average shooter.

They are both fine weapons and you would like them both so which ever one is available I would have no problem jumping on either one.

Get a good scope and you will be ready to shoot the distance.

Re: Armalite or DPMS SASS?

I am a fan of short barrels, but using FGMM, I have read somewhere between 35 fps and 50 fps going from 20" to 18". At 900 yards (800 meters), that might make the difference between staying suupersonic or not. You can play with it in a ballistics program.

I am thinking about an accurate 308 semi as well. Those SR-25's sure are nice, but expensive as well compared to the AR-10 or DPMS platforms.