• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Army M24 Build Thread

195ABEF9-ADE4-4274-A669-1DC4EAC2F955.jpeg
@whitetailnut follow up question; are the Rpa rear sight bases parked as well? I found one old photo previous in this thread where it looks like the front base is matte/park and the rear is blued. Most of the photos I’ve seen look to have blued bases as well. But then there is the photo where the rear base looks parked(or maybe a bead blasted blue?)
9D2A1EAA-2879-45E4-820E-E39081D3540A.jpeg

3B75C893-8D83-4710-8684-596ECC628056.jpeg
Question on MIRS rails. I know the general difference between the rev a and b is the milling on the wing to see the serial number , but can anyone fill me in on what this circular modification is on rev b rails? I have seen this on both late production rev bs, as well as rev a’s that we’re modified to rev b(as indicated by the milled area where the rail was then marked rev b)

Thanks!

View attachment 7820220Question on MIRS rails. I know the general difference between the rev a and b is the milling on the wing to see the serial number , but can anyone fill me in on what this circular modification is on rev b rails? I have seen this on both late production rev bs, as well as rev a’s that we’re modified to rev b(as indicated by the milled area where the rail was then marked rev b)

Thanks!
Hey could you give me some screw lengths on those mounting screws? I picked up a rail but don’t have screws

I found this with a MIRS rail while digging thru some parts boxes. I didn't see it anywhere in the thread and thought someone might find it interesting.

Instruction sheet for a MIRS and the MIRS Kit component list.

Attachments

• Scan_20220305 (2)a.jpg
    Scan_20220305 (2)a.jpg
    501.3 KB · Views: 189
  • Scan_20220305.jpg
    Scan_20220305.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 140
Reactions: USNavy06
what do a set of iron sights (no bases) go for? assuming they are true M24 take-offs?

Getting the bases seems the problem for both rpa and the Redfield systems. Bases are becoming scarcer and scarcer. Sarco sold issued rpa rear sights for about 200 a while ago, ok webber is basically out of business out, Otto died a few years ago.

Also I was wondering if others had any reports that the latest batch of BO M24 marked mounts were narrower than the originals and weren't working for em.

Warner Machine Tools still makes a base:

products-Rifle_5.png

The Redfields clear the aft ring clamp nut, while the RPAs were cut and relieved:

20190707_190552-jpg.7602356
img_e71b8d639931-1-jpeg.6877893

Last edited:
Reactions: kb1
Also I was wondering if others had any reports that the latest batch of BO M24 marked mounts were narrower than the originals and weren't working for em.

I have a recent production badger mount. Current production leupold mark 4 rings, and sei rings fit without issue

Reactions: mjh30
I know the McCann Mirs for the M24 was a 0 moa mount, but can anyone confirm if the correct uses MARS mount was also the zero moa variant? I assume 0 moa would be correct when using the leupold mark 4 scopes

It was my personal experience with a G M24, Zero MOA MARS and a Mark 4 M3 3.5-10x variable illum that I needed the 20 MOA because I couldn't engage targets beyond 800 meters, the scope elevation knob topped out. I had to get a 20 MOA MARS to compensate. I did not test the M3a Ultra scope on the MARS so I can't speak to that. Clone correct or not for me wasn't the question, what worked was.

Last edited:
Reactions: deltawiskey
M24 with 0 MOA MARS. I am rolling a Sig Tango 6 5-30x 34mm scope so I don’t run out of elevation 800+. It shot 10 shot group from prone at 300 yards. .80 MOA. 5 MPH wind. I will take that all day. Gun has shot 3 shot groups at .18-.6. Averages .5 or better. 175 FGMM seconds (visual defect)

I also roll an FN SPR A4/A2. Solid rifle but just slightly less accurate then the M24. Just barely though

Attachments

• 2EB49C7B-0666-4C5B-9E5B-0BD827758189.jpeg
    2EB49C7B-0666-4C5B-9E5B-0BD827758189.jpeg
    661.9 KB · Views: 348
  • 84A17830-6BA6-48F1-9F45-76BACAA380AA.jpeg
    84A17830-6BA6-48F1-9F45-76BACAA380AA.jpeg
    215.8 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
I want to start bringing over some of the technical stuff that was on the old thread:

M24 build thread

Complete SWS NSN 1005-01-240-2136

Technical Manual: TM 9-1005-306-10

Action: Remington M700 long action.
Earliest example would be a C prefix action. Production continues through today 11/14.
Most recent examples are RR prefix with a single letter suffix, A, B & C observed.
Scope mounting holes tapped #8-40. 2 iron sight holes left side of actions, on same centers as rear scope base holes, tapped 6-48.

Bolt: Standard caliber (30-06) bolt face. Body coated with Black Sandstrom dry film E859-B29 up to but not including the bolt handle. Bolt handle back is Rem tuff.
It will have a Circle M on the handle.

Barrel: 24” stainless 5R right hand 1-11.25” twist. M24 contour. Several hundred of the initial contract made by Mike Rock rifle barrels, then Remington switched to a hammer forged barrel made in house. Rock Creek barrels still makes a spec barrel. See attached drawing for spec.
Barrel is marked 7.62 NATO 6.125” from the front of the lug, Left hand side, also has a 2 letter code, XY, WB ( both observed). Right side markings include: REP in oval (Remington English Proof) Triangle w/ an X or an N in it (Observed) and an M in a circle (Magnetic Particle inspection).
Front sight base holes are drilled and tapped 6-48 1.125” and 1.688” from the muzzle.
Drawing to follow.

Recoil lug: Standard Remington M700 lug.

Triggerguard: It is a modified version of the Dakota arms M700 Custom. The trigger bow (the area that protects the trigger shoe and houses the floorplate latch) is left un-contoured with a rectangular cross section.
Badger Ordnance sold a small quantity to Remington in the mid 90’s.
current manufacturer is sunny hill mfg.
Markings, All parts, Latch, Rail and floor plate will have a letter to keep the parts together after finishing. Will have the circle M.

Magazine box: It’s a highbred, it is a BDL height but with the ADL mounting tab. It is screwed to the Receiver like an ADL to facilitate easy assembly by the operator in the field. Easy to make from an ADL box.

Follower: Magnum follower, MIM’ed part, some call it cast but it is a metal Injection Molded (MIM) Part. Will be chrome plated the sprayed with the Sandstrom dry film E859-B29 Black

Follower spring: Standard long action follower spring.

Stock: HS Precision PST-024 Long action, RH, adjustable length of Pull, black. stocks will have a Remington marked butt pad.

Scope: Leupold ULTRA 10X-M3A L&S Inc. Initial contract scopes were dated, the first 2 digitsof the serial number are the year of manufacture. Typical markings
ULTRA
10X-M3A
S/N 92 XXXX
L&S Inc.

Follow on contract scopes are marked
LEUPOLD
MARK 4
M3-10X
XXXXXXF
Scope base: Steel one piece Weaver base, similar to Picatinny but does not meet the M1913 Mil standard. Sourced from Leupold as the Mk 4 base, it has 4 slots, 2 on the front ring 2 on the rear.
Badger Ordnance sub contracted some bases. When the switch in Iron sights from Redfield’s to RPA sights was made the one piece base was replaced by a two piece version with the same pattern of slots as the one piece mount.

Scope rings: Leupold Mk 4 Ultra 30 mm rings, Patterned after the scope rings invented by Earl Reddick of Reddick Arms Development (RAD). The original Mk 4 rings were cast steel and cut above center and featured a parkerized finish. Some time after 2000, Leupold changed the rings to version 2, they are fully machined and cut on center. They appear to have been made on a turning center as the outer edges are radiused. Finish appears to be black oxide.

Iron sight bases: Original contract sight bases were Redfield, WB 490 Redfield P/N 715005 rear Redfield P/N 723001 front .175 tall. After the remaining supply of Redfield International Big bore front sights and Palma rear sight were exhausted new emergency sights and bases were purchased from Rangemaster Precision Arms (RPA) Trakker match sights. Rear sight P/N RP60-1001 and front sight P/N OK-0008

NOTE: OK Webber no longer distributes RPA sights, please don’t call, they have NONE!

Sling: M1917 Leather sling NSN1005-00-714-1245

Bipod: Harris 1A2 9-13” NSN 1005-01-260-2665

Soft case: Allen Black rifle case NSN 1005-01-262-2818

System case: Hardigg NSN 1005-01-260-2662

Deployment case: Pelican 1120 (Tool kit) NSN 1005-02-260-2647

Day Optic sight case: Flambeau tool box P/N 50042 NSN 1005-02-260-2666 (Note Mfg’s P/N must be verified.) Color Grey, modified with 2 straps.

Finish: Remington Rem tuff, a Teflon powder coat, black

Markings: Receiver is marked with the Remington Logo above “MODEL 700 M24”
More to follow after Turkey day

The initial US Army contract was for 2510 rifles

Marty
Badger Ordnance

M24 build thread

Complete SWS NSN 1005-01-240-2136

Technical Manual: TM 9-1005-306-10

Action: Remington M700 long action.
Earliest example would be a C prefix action. Production continues through today 11/14.
Most recent examples are RR prefix with a single letter suffix, A, B & C observed.
Scope mounting holes tapped #8-40. 2 iron sight holes left side of actions, on same centers as rear scope base holes, tapped 6-48.

Bolt: Standard caliber (30-06) bolt face. Body coated with Black Sandstrom dry film E859-B29 up to but not including the bolt handle. Bolt handle back is Rem tuff.
It will have a Circle M on the handle.

Barrel: 24” stainless 5R right hand 1-11.25” twist. M24 contour. Several hundred of the initial contract made by Mike Rock rifle barrels, then Remington switched to a hammer forged barrel made in house. Rock Creek barrels still makes a spec barrel. See attached drawing for spec.
Barrel is marked 7.62 NATO 6.125” from the front of the lug, Left hand side, also has a 2 letter code, XY, WB ( both observed). Right side markings include: REP in oval (Remington English Proof) Triangle w/ an X or an N in it (Observed) and an M in a circle (Magnetic Particle inspection).
Front sight base holes are drilled and tapped 6-48 1.125” and 1.688” from the muzzle.
Drawing to follow.

Recoil lug: Standard Remington M700 lug.

Triggerguard: It is a modified version of the Dakota arms M700 Custom. The trigger bow (the area that protects the trigger shoe and houses the floorplate latch) is left un-contoured with a rectangular cross section.
Badger Ordnance sold a small quantity to Remington in the mid 90’s.
current manufacturer is sunny hill mfg.
Markings, All parts, Latch, Rail and floor plate will have a letter to keep the parts together after finishing. Will have the circle M.

Magazine box: It’s a highbred, it is a BDL height but with the ADL mounting tab. It is screwed to the Receiver like an ADL to facilitate easy assembly by the operator in the field. Easy to make from an ADL box.

Follower: Magnum follower, MIM’ed part, some call it cast but it is a metal Injection Molded (MIM) Part. Will be chrome plated the sprayed with the Sandstrom dry film E859-B29 Black

Follower spring: Standard long action follower spring.

Stock: HS Precision PST-024 Long action, RH, adjustable length of Pull, black. stocks will have a Remington marked butt pad.

Scope: Leupold ULTRA 10X-M3A L&S Inc. Initial contract scopes were dated, the first 2 digitsof the serial number are the year of manufacture. Typical markings
ULTRA
10X-M3A
S/N 92 XXXX
L&S Inc.

Follow on contract scopes are marked
LEUPOLD
MARK 4
M3-10X
XXXXXXF
Scope base: Steel one piece Weaver base, similar to Picatinny but does not meet the M1913 Mil standard. Sourced from Leupold as the Mk 4 base, it has 4 slots, 2 on the front ring 2 on the rear.
Badger Ordnance sub contracted some bases. When the switch in Iron sights from Redfield’s to RPA sights was made the one piece base was replaced by a two piece version with the same pattern of slots as the one piece mount.

Scope rings: Leupold Mk 4 Ultra 30 mm rings, Patterned after the scope rings invented by Earl Reddick of Reddick Arms Development (RAD). The original Mk 4 rings were cast steel and cut above center and featured a parkerized finish. Some time after 2000, Leupold changed the rings to version 2, they are fully machined and cut on center. They appear to have been made on a turning center as the outer edges are radiused. Finish appears to be black oxide.

Iron sight bases: Original contract sight bases were Redfield, WB 490 Redfield P/N 715005 rear Redfield P/N 723001 front .175 tall. After the remaining supply of Redfield International Big bore front sights and Palma rear sight were exhausted new emergency sights and bases were purchased from Rangemaster Precision Arms (RPA) Trakker match sights. Rear sight P/N RP60-1001 and front sight P/N OK-0008

NOTE: OK Webber no longer distributes RPA sights, please don’t call, they have NONE!

Sling: M1917 Leather sling NSN1005-00-714-1245

Bipod: Harris 1A2 9-13” NSN 1005-01-260-2665

Soft case: Allen Black rifle case NSN 1005-01-262-2818

System case: Hardigg NSN 1005-01-260-2662
I am looking for Badger PN 306-85. M24A2 bottom metal. I already have 306-84 (rare). Can anyone help me? Thanks

That is correct. The current production badger M24 mounts are too narrow for the original leupold ultra mounts. Normal picatinny type scope rings will fit though.
If anyone has an older wider mount let me know. I will trade/buy it from you.

Not sure if it’s okay to post links, so if it’s not let me know and I’ll edit my post, but I found a source for Redfield reproduction parts. The rear base will have to be modified for ring clearance, and the front base(under scope blocks) will have a dimple on the side opposite of the crescent cut. Doesn’t always appear to have inventory but considering how hard originals are to come by, thought I would share.

Also, if anyone is looking for a MARS, century arms has some 0 moa, and 30 moa long action mars in their surplus corner, but they are pricey.

For myself, if anyone has a source for the old Leupold mark 59230 mounts(the ones that have a shallow countersink in the rear that uses a longer screw compared to the front) I would appreciate the lead. It’s the last piece I need to finish my build(using current production in their interim)

Anyone know if the mars recoil pin is supposed to be angled forward(toward the receiver) or straight at a 90 degree angle? Just need to confirm if I need to reach out to century to swap mine

Attachments

• 7B7E445B-1C42-4F0E-9903-1B64EF8FEEE5.jpeg
    7B7E445B-1C42-4F0E-9903-1B64EF8FEEE5.jpeg
    226.3 KB · Views: 120
What is the worth on a new take M24 stock?

How about bottom metal?

Badger ordnance M24 bottom metal?

Thanks

Demand for m24 parts is only going up with all the actions sold on gb over the last few months.

with a mag, I wouldn’t sell that badger bottom metal for anything less than 500

Is it 306-85 or 84?

I’m glad I found my m24 can when I did. On arf, Ron A made it sound like there won’t be any more of those made before he retires

Reactions: Master Gunny
Demand for m24 parts is only going up with all the actions sold on gb over the last few months.

with a mag, I wouldn’t sell that badger bottom metal for anything less than 500

Is it 306-85 or 84?
A44ED537-5077-4BC4-B0A1-C2A5C62DA177.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: deltawiskey
I really enjoyed the vids. I am more experienced with M40A1/A3. I have fallen in love with the M24. I really like the detailed vids. Thanks for sharing them.

I have never understood why anyone would spend HUGE $$$ to replicate faithful the M24 when you could build a rifle as good as or better for less than 1/2 the money!

I grew up with the M24. I learned to shoot at Ft. Benning and my dad was career Army for 23 years! Shot it plenty of times and remember his soldiers at Ft. Stewart begging like a little kid asking for candy to take the M24 to the range for live fire! My best friends dad was an instructor at the Ft. Benning Sniper School and was a sniper his first and second tour of Vietnam.

It was a good system considering it was knee capped with the 7.62 NATO when it had been designed and was actual desired in 300 Win Mag.

In fact my first rifle that I purchased for myself in around 1995 in college was in 300 Win Mag. based on my experience and instructors/mentors at Ft. Benning. I had no desire to do the 30-338 Win Mag.

In fact even if you gave me the original optic for free I would rather run something else.

When you look at everything on the market for the Remington 700 action especialy given the barrel choices and optics available today and triggers I do not get the desire for 100% accuracy.

I am not faulting anyone that does want to do that I just can not wrap my head around it. I would especialy never use a long action if I was going to handicap myself with 7,62 NATO. I love standard and magnum length actions but not if I am going to run a short cartridge that just makes living with the rifle difficult at times when trying to run a fast time on a timed course.

I wonder how cheaply I could build an M24 killer? LOL

To bad no one makes an affordable transit case like the original!!!! Out of everything I would like to have the case more than anything else!

My F-T/R cost a lot less to build than a faithful M24 and is far more accurate I do not get it? I do not shoot M118LR but shoot hand loaded Berger 185 Juggernauts.

Why? Help me understand the point of spending $$$$$$ for what is a compromised system from top to bottom?
You completed miss the point. If you don’t understand then you never will. The M24 is a 1/4-1/2 MOA rifle in 308 (7.62). People love old school sniper rifles. I used an M40A1/A3 and love that people duplicate and collect them. I am not block headed enough to as you say (wrap my head around) to understand. There are better calibers and systems out there. If you don’t understand the attraction then you should probably not post on this thread. The thread is about love.. building, cloning, duplicating the M24. You obviously don’t love the system or you wouldn’t have posted what you did. That’s ok though. Enjoy your 300 whatever….

I have never understood why anyone would spend HUGE $$$ to replicate faithful the M24 when you could build a rifle as good as or better for less than 1/2 the money!

I grew up with the M24. I learned to shoot at Ft. Benning and my dad was career Army for 23 years! Shot it plenty of times and remember his soldiers at Ft. Stewart begging like a little kid asking for candy to take the M24 to the range for live fire! My best friends dad was an instructor at the Ft. Benning Sniper School and was a sniper his first and second tour of Vietnam.

It was a good system considering it was knee capped with the 7.62 NATO when it had been designed and was actual desired in 300 Win Mag.

In fact my first rifle that I purchased for myself in around 1995 in college was in 300 Win Mag. based on my experience and instructors/mentors at Ft. Benning. I had no desire to do the 30-338 Win Mag.

In fact even if you gave me the original optic for free I would rather run something else.

When you look at everything on the market for the Remington 700 action especialy given the barrel choices and optics available today and triggers I do not get the desire for 100% accuracy.

I am not faulting anyone that does want to do that I just can not wrap my head around it. I would especialy never use a long action if I was going to handicap myself with 7,62 NATO. I love standard and magnum length actions but not if I am going to run a short cartridge that just makes living with the rifle difficult at times when trying to run a fast time on a timed course.

I wonder how cheaply I could build an M24 killer? LOL

To bad no one makes an affordable transit case like the original!!!! Out of everything I would like to have the case more than anything else!

My F-T/R cost a lot less to build than a faithful M24 and is far more accurate I do not get it? I do not shoot M118LR but shoot hand loaded Berger 185 Juggernauts.

Why? Help me understand the point of spending $$$$$$ for what is a compromised system from top to bottom?
M24s are cheap as far as clones go. Go venture into the gas gun clone threads and let us know how you feel about guys spending $10k+ on a m110

Reactions: Master Gunny
M24s are cheap as far as clones go. Go venture into the gas gun clone threads and let us know how you feel about guys spending $10k+ on a m110
Fclassparadise is a knucklehead. I just read all 12 of his posts. All are the same BS type of posts. Brings nothing and talks to much…. Don’t feed the troller

I understand the contract spec for these rifles is the 10x scope, but have seen the variable power scopes mounted ina few rifles, per this thread the pre-mk4 vari-xs were used as well https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...pes-ever-used-on-m24-military-rifles.7032813/

I assume the vari-x scopes were second focal plane, but does anyone know if the mk4 s used were first focal plane? I assume the socom contracted night vision systems used the mk11 ffp scope with McCann rails, but would all of the other 3.5-10s be second focal plane?