• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Army M24 Build Thread

Check this shit out guys! Here's 2 of my M24 FOIA requests, these ones came back with a ton of information! One receiver was sent to Iraq and Afghanistan and the other was with Special Forces! Both of these receivers were upgraded to an M2010 configuration. One went to Afghanistan after this rebuild, the other one went to an SF unit! So, this confirms that the M2010's were built using every receiver they had, including the extremely early ones.

One other thing to mention, just because Iraq or Afghanistan isn't listed on the FOIA request doesn't mean that it wasn't deployed with a unit to one of those (or other) war zones. I need to look up each one of these units and see if they were in possession of these receivers while on deployment. It takes a little bit more work, but it's worth it to fill in the blanks that this paperwork left out.

I have 3 more receivers that I submitted paperwork on, do you guys want to see those to? I just chose 2 of the 5 that I thought were the most interesting. I'll post the others if you want to see them. Feel free to post your FOIA requests or even a summarized version if you're not comfortable posting the entire document. I'm pretty excited to see what the FOIA requests come back as for other receivers, hopefully you guys will share them!

WlGeYen.jpeg

1LMgQ7P.jpeg

UJx2RLa.jpeg

zkm9UHZ.jpeg

63pMDjz.jpeg

EKMCJil.jpeg

GntZLaP.jpeg

Excellent FOIA responses! It nice to see the detail you can get on these "newer" weapons.

I for one would enjoy seeing the other 3 responses!

One other thing to mention, just because Iraq or Afghanistan isn't listed on the FOIA request doesn't mean that it wasn't deployed with a unit to one of those (or other) war zones. I need to look up each one of these units and see if they were in possession of these receivers while on deployment. It takes a little bit more work, but it's worth it to fill in the blanks that this paperwork left out.

This is an important point. For example I have seen two responses that showed ownership history as 05 Special Forces from 1991 through 2012. Somehow I am doubting that they stayed in storage at Fort Campbell all those years....

1. 07 November 1991 - 0005 Special Forces (SF) Battalion (BN) 01 Special Forces
(SF) Battalion (BN), Fort Campbell, Kentucky received the weapon.
2. 16 January 1998 - 0005 Special Forces (SF) Battalion (BN) 01 Alpha Company
(Mobilization) MOB, Fort Campbell, Kentucky received the weapon.
3. 11 September 2000, 25 October 2001, and 21 January 2003 - United States
Army Logistic Readiness Center (USALRCTR) Fort Campbell, Fort Campbell,
Kentucky performed multi-field corrections on the weapon.
4. 09 July 2012 - Army General Supply (Logistics Modernization Program (LMP)
Stock Records), Anniston, Alabama received the weapon from United States
Army Logistic Readiness Center (USALRCTR) Fort Campbell, Fort Campbell,
Kentucky.

Well for me, that explains why there are all these empty receivers in the wild now. They came off the M24E (M2010) rifles when they returned them to Remington again. I never liked the M2010 conversion program and many I know of didn't either. I think, we the US Taxpayers, were duped. Taking 25 +/- year old weapons, stripping them down to bare receivers, not even keeping the trigger. Then they rebuilt them into the M2010 and justified the cost savings to bring the weapon up to 21st Century standards and it only cost us $11,500 PER WEAPON!! What a saving! THEN Remington took all those take off parts, attempting to keep the set together as best they could, built a new weapon using a new barreled receiver group and the Reissue Program was introduced and they made more money. Can't fault Remington from making money on the used parts that the collector community truly wanted, but we all would have been better served, the Army and citizens that bought the Reissue weapons, if they had just released them intact and built the M2010s on the new barreled actions.

Did the 3.5-10 MK4s that some rifles had use the M118lr marked elevation knob?

Did the 3.5-10 MK4s that some rifles had use the M118lr marked elevation knob?
I had a M118LR turret for mine and it had a NSN and a Leupold part number though I couldn't tell you what it was. I even had a black M2 turret for M118LR for the FDE M110 scope, again it had a Leupold part number and wasn't a custom turret.

interesting on the black m2 turret. I knew the m118 turrets were standard on the GOV FDE scopes.

Scored a good deal on a new 3.5-10 w/ the m118 turret. As much as I like the atacr, I'm thinking of going back to the classic

Reactions: apache64pilot
interesting on the black m2 turret. I knew the m118 turrets were standard on the GOV FDE scopes.

Scored a good deal on a new 3.5-10 w/ the m118 turret. As much as I like the atacr, I'm thinking of going back to the classic
FYI I asked for a black M2 Turret because I needed more contrast on the markings for low light conditions. White on Black was the ticket, White on FDE is difficult to see in limited visibility.

For all of the guys having to building rifles and trying to go the extra mile and make it as correct as possible, specifically those building off of stripped actions and having to buy separate bolts. Page 1 lists the coating for bolt bodies as Sandstrom #859-B29 "Black", I have been emailing with Sandstrom to try to get that color but, to paraphrase, it was updated to B26 several years ago for a much deeper black and there isn't a way to lighten it up on the small scale I need for one bolt body. That might mean that they could do it on a larger scale but I do not know what that larger scale might be. I haven't asked if they could do a one time custom order for that reason and I don't want to foot the bill for it unless I get significant interest from others and then I would be taking money upfront if Sandstrom said it's possible. Good day, I am now going to go buy a pint of #859-B26.
I have a can of B28A that I used on mine. It looks identical to the factory coating. Shoot me a PM and I can coat yours for you as well.

FYI folks, there is a eBay auction for a EMA filter if you're looking for one to complete the set. Not my auction, don't even know who or how much just now, only that I saw it in passing.

I don't have much to add right now but I hope to very soon. I did receive a FOIA reply. It's not very exciting but all in all I am very happy to own such a piece of American history. It's interesting to me that members here are open to do a FOIA request. Many years ago on the CMP forum members were chastised for wasting tax payer money on it. I actually added some old CMP purchases with this one since I was emailing them for information.

One thing that I would really like to find is a Remington LA Mars Rail for it. I actually found a Vet selling 2 but he is in Washington State and the forum that he is on will not allow out of state members. He only is asking $300 for the pair. There even rattle canned from when he was over seas. I would of snatch them both up for that kind of money especially since I could use both of them for my rifles.

If anyone can point me in the direction of a reasonably price Mars rail I will be obliged.

Here is some of the info on my RR A suffix rifle.

Attachments

• cropped.jpg
    cropped.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
I don't have much to add right now but I hope to very soon. I did receive a FOIA reply. It's not very exciting but all in all I am very happy to own such a piece of American history. It's interesting to me that members here are open to do a FOIA request. Many years ago on the CMP forum members were chastised for wasting tax payer money on it. I actually added some old CMP purchases with this one since I was emailing them for information.

One thing that I would really like to find is a Remington LA Mars Rail for it. I actually found a Vet selling 2 but he is in Washington State and the forum that he is on will not allow out of state members. He only is asking $300 for the pair. There even rattle canned from when he was over seas. I would of snatch them both up for that kind of money especially since I could use both of them for my rifles.

If anyone can point me in the direction of a reasonably price Mars rail I will be obliged.

Here is some of the info on my RR A suffix rifle.

HutchS is selling one or two MARS rails in the BX section of the M14Forum. He is in Wisconsin.

Reactions: superdave269
HutchS is selling one or two MARS rails in the BX section of the M14Forum. He is in Wisconsin.
Thanks for the lead but I can't find their classified section or PM him as I don't have enough post on that forum.

Since another awesome member of this forum has tried to help me with a heads up on a MARS Rail on the M14 forum I though why not share a pic of my first semi M14. It belonged to Karl Maunz, the Godfather of the M14 M1A1. His business partner sold it to me years ago. I put a US property marked SEI scope base on it and love the look of it.

Attachments

• munz1.jpg
    munz1.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 143
  • munz2.jpg
    munz2.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 139
M24 SWS was assembled by a Remington armorer, not US Army Marksmanship Training Unit (USAMTU) armorers. There isnt much additional accurizing to be done that would equate to higher accuracy. Aluminum bedding block eliminates pillar bedding. The requirement to detach the scope eliminates welding the ring bases. The BM was already assembled. Larger scope base bolts were machined. And the trigger was custom built. The main item contributing to accuracy was the hammer-forged 5R barrel. Could they have line bored & trued the rings? Welded the barrel lug on? Threaded the barrel for a blast suppressor? Install a Sako-style extractor? Tight neck the chamber?
My opinion is that more emphasis needed to be placed on ammunition. M118LR using the SHPBTMK 175gr was the great equalizer between M40A1 & M24

Last edited:
Debating from either 2006-2010 or possibly a late build to match when the rifle was built.

Took it out and tried it. Very impressed with the groups I was getting from the bench, shot steel afterwords.

View attachment 7631115

View attachment 7631113View attachment 7631112

I noticed the buttpad adjustment system needs some work. I thought it was stripped, but I noticed that the screw with the wheels on it can freely turn. I just need to pull the pad off and tighten what ever holds it in place right?.

View attachment 7631116

Were you able to remove the butt pad to fix you center screw? I cannot figure our what kind of screws hold it on (phillips, allen, torx?)

Let me know when you get a chance.

Thanks,
Lu
Debating from either 2006-2010 or possibly a late build to match when the rifle was built.

Took it out and tried it. Very impressed with the groups I was getting from the bench, shot steel afterwords.

View attachment 7631115

View attachment 7631113View attachment 7631112

I noticed the buttpad adjustment system needs some work. I thought it was stripped, but I noticed that the screw with the wheels on it can freely turn. I just need to pull the pad off and tighten what ever holds it in place right?.

View attachment 7631116

Were you able to remove the butt pad to fix you center screw? I cannot figure our what kind of screws hold it on (phillips, allen, torx?)

Let me know when you get a chance.

Thanks,
Lu
Yes, there are 2 allen screws holding the pad on and a large allen screw that threads into the center post (the large threaded post that adjusts LOP) that can be tightened.

Not difficult but it would be pointless. I asked if they could lighten a larger batch or do a one time run of B29. They cannot do a lighter batch of B26 and the pigment for B29 is not in inventory and even if it was it would cost thousands for a batch. So this is the end to a very short road.

Separately, is someone willing to post measurements of all of the proof markings? I need the diameter of the circle M, height and width of the REP oval, height of the triangle, letter height for the assembly code, letter height for the 7.62 NATO, and number height for the last four of the serial on the bottom of the bolt handle. I want to order a set of custom stamps to make this look as legit as possible.
Did you have the stamps made? if so how did they turn out?

Thanks,
Lu

Just got my M24 finished up and couldn't be happier. Let me know what you guys think. I was inpatient and put a leupold vx3 tactical 3.5-10x40 on it with m118lr elevation caps. I've heard mixed opinions that these may have been issued with certain units? If anyone has information on that I would greatly appreciate it. Also purchased a mars rail the other day and looking for a mirs instead if anyone has one they would like to trade or sell. Thanks gentleman!

Attachments

• 20221024_162730-02.jpeg
    20221024_162730-02.jpeg
    734.1 KB · Views: 201
Just got my M24 finished up and couldn't be happier. Let me know what you guys think. I was inpatient and put a leupold vx3 tactical 3.5-10x40 on it with m118lr elevation caps. I've heard mixed opinions that these may have been issued with certain units? If anyone has information on that I would greatly appreciate it. Also purchased a mars rail the other day and looking for a mirs instead if anyone has one they would like to trade or sell. Thanks gentleman!
I believe there is video on YouTube of those very scopes being used.

Just wanted to share pics of 2 of my Remington M24s. No sense in posting the 3rd as all I did was switch it out with my Remington 700 long range rifle in 30-06. So I figure I have the coolest hunting rifle out there since it has a real M24 receiver.
The first one is pretty stock except I added the MARS rail that was used over seas back around 2008.
The 2nd one I used a 300WM barrel and more of a target stock and Athlon scope on top of another MARS rail. The FOIA stated it was upgraded to XM2010 before leaving the DOD.
They both shoot like a dream.

Attachments

• 7.62.jpg
    7.62.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 195
  • 300WM m24.jpg
    300WM m24.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 197
2DA7FBC4-9346-4EAF-8F4D-27760E016B93.jpeg

Finally satisfied with having a couple extra m24 triggers on hand.

Are they all pretty hit or miss as far as adjustment screw staking goes?
The pull weight screw on all 3 of mine can be adjusted.
The overtravel screw can be adjusted on 2 of 3.
The sear engagement can be adjusted on only 1 of 3

If any of you guys have M24 receivers with C, E and G prefix serial numbers that were acquired from JFE on Gunbroker, they might be Army used receivers and you should do a Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA) request on them! I have 5 M24 receivers with C prefix serial numbers and a US stamp above the serial number. I recently received FOIA paperwork on all 5 receivers and the person who processed emailed me the documents and said "your FOIA request had some of the best information to date." So, if your M24 receiver is military surplus, you'll be able to get some great information on it! I'll have to look up the deployments from the units listed on my paperwork, but one of them came back saying that receiver had been to Iraq! Another one of my M24 receivers was in an Army Special Forces unit!

Send an email requesting serial number information to the U.S. Army Logistics Data Analysis Center (LDAC). I accidentally sent my request to the wrong office and they forwarded my request to the LDAC. I was using the pull down menus instead of grabbing the correct email address listed under them. As a side note, if you have other FOIA requests for other military branches, use the options in the pull down menus. I think I received my M24 information within a few weeks of submission, the DOD processes these requests quite quickly! As stated in previous posts, the new Rem Arms company doesn't have any documentation, this is the only route to go for information pertaining to your serial number. Obviously this is for military surplus firearms only, they don't have any information on commercial firearms (such as the ASA M24's, the rebuilt RR M24's, your grandfather's Model 700 form 1962, etc.). I figure I'd add that bit of information in case some idiot tries to ask the government for information on a firearm that the government never owned.

Also, if I had an FFL and could sell firearms, I'd buy a ton of these receivers from JFE, get FOIA paperwork on each receiver and list them one at a time on Gunbroker for a lot of money! You're welcome, anyone who actually does this and makes a profit, lol.

Here's the information taken directly from the FOIA website, the DOD small arms records goes back to 1975, so you can request information on other weapons such as the Army surplus M17 pistols. It doesn't cost anything, so there's no reason not to submit your request. Also, they don't ask if you're the owner of that firearm with that serial number, so don't be afraid of this being some kind of secret ATF firearm owner database. I'm even going to submit the serial numbers for the M4 and M9 I was issued, and the M40A3 my team leader was issued. Send your type of firearm and serial numbers (i.e. M24 serial number Cxxxxxxx) to the email address below:

If you are seeking DOD Small Arms/Light Weapons Registry records for serialized weapons, DLA does not the own/maintain/control this data. Please submit your FOIA request for this data directly to:

USARMY Logistics Data Analysis Center (LDAC) Miss Mickelle Penn Freedom of Information Act Officer [email protected]

https://foiaonline.gov/foiaonline/action/public/request

Good luck to everyone who submits their M24 serial numbers, hopefully you get some great information from your FOIA request!
I have sent several emails to Miss Penn and got no response. Any help would be great.

Quick question for the M24 aficionados, as searching through the site and finding my Google Fu not being up to par....

Are the tap holes for the rear iron sights specific to only M24 long action Remingtons or are they also found on non-M24 variety Remington 700 long actions as well?

M24-RearIronSightTapHoles.png

Thanks for any input as I have seen this finding out in the wild but serials do not match the posted ranges in this and other M24 hide threads with the aforementioned prefixes/suffixes matching normal garden variety R700s I have seen (e.g., the RR prefix variety).

Quick question for the M24 aficionados, as searching through the site and finding my Google Fu not being up to par....

Are the tap holes for the rear iron sights specific to only M24 long action Remingtons or are they also found on non-M24 variety Remington 700 long actions as well?

View attachment 8044346

Thanks for any input as I have seen this finding out in the wild but serials do not match the posted ranges in this and other M24 hide threads with the aforementioned prefixes/suffixes matching normal garden variety R700s I have seen (e.g., the RR prefix variety).

Nope, older rifles have them and the newer ones don’t like my RR prefix. In your case with the M24 they are for the iron sights.

Reactions: CaseFinder