• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Army M24 Build Thread

If that’s an M24R with a US Army take-off stock with camo job from military service - I would not modify it. The value of the rifle will be seriously and adversely impacted if you modify it from the original US Army take-off configuration. I’d leave it as-is, it’s a classic.
(I have one that looks fairly similar).

It is indeed an M24R. I added the MARS rail, but otherwise it's stock from when I bought it from Euro Optic a few years ago.

Reactions: ilikebmxbikes
“The only thing used by the military on that gun is the stock, perhaps the trigger and floor plate, everything else is new.“

Yes, but other than CMP’s vintage 1940s-50s era M1 Garands, the US Army is pretty effective in de-milling/destroying former US Army weapons, and parts. Very little of it exists in the private market. Thus the original “camo” painted take-off M24R stocks are unique. You know better than me, but I think the US Army only allowed Remington ~3500 stocks (EDIT/Correction: 2,000) to be sold on the M24Rs, so the supply is limited, compared to the volume of M700 rifles sold.

I will note that McMillian sold the well-used USMC M40A1 “return” stocks back in 2006-07 for about $260 shipped - but today they bring 4x to 6x times more $ given market scarcity. My M24R rifle only costs me $2k in 2015, but today I think on gun broker it would sell for $3k or more due to supply constraints. ($5500 plus with original optics and goodies - but I would never sell my M24R rifle). It’s the closest I’ll get to a real M24, and I guess as a collector, the military service-based patina of the painted stock (and apparently some old skate-board tape as well) appeals to me. I like the patina, just as I like the old camo paint and patina of my painted M40A1 stock. To others of course it’s basically just an old beat-up stock...my 2cts.

Attachments

• A8493224-1674-4752-B48D-31858A03705B.jpeg
    A8493224-1674-4752-B48D-31858A03705B.jpeg
    274.3 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
Reactions: lockedandloaded
The number wasn't 3500, I don't remember exactly what it was but less than that. I totally get what you are saying and I have to be honest and admit that I am personally spoiled and biased having carried the gun on active duty, taught many sniper courses using it and then dealing with it pretty much daily while at RAC.

Its definitely a collector piece and you got it at a good price. Given the state of RAC and impending demise it could be worth even more in coming years.

Reactions: ilikebmxbikes
Keeping this thread alive - been contemplating adding an AE M24 suppressor and/or Badger M24 trigger guard with detachable magazine, but I think I may just keep it like this:

220gSEl.jpg
You know I would have given this a "love", but I still have all that inner ."308-Hate" going on.... :rolleyes:

The number wasn't 3500, I don't remember exactly what it was but less than that.

I have not seen data re how many were sold, but I did find the original 2012 announcement, which noted that Remington's proposal to the US Army was for only 2,000 M24Rs, so I assume sales were around that level:

Remington Military Rebuilding/Refurbishing U.S. Military Sniper-Used M24 Sniper Weapon System Sniper Rifles for Non-Military/Commercial Sale. Very Interesting.
January 5, 2012

M24 Commercial Recapitalization/Rebuild/Refurbishment Program

During M24E1/XM2010 proposal preparation, the Remington proposal team realized that essentially almost all of the parts of the M24 were going to be removed and discarded. In the past when Remington conducted M24 overhauls they were required to de-militarize (destroy) all the unserviceable system components removed. However, during the reconfiguration to the XM2010 most of the M24 parts removed would be serviceable but would still have to be de-militarized. The proposal team recognized an opportunity and decided to offer the Government a contract price reduction for a complete set of serviceable parts if Remington would be allowed to resell these parts in the form of complete sniper systems for the commercial firearms collector market. Remington was unsure if the Army could overcome the institutional and regulatory hurdles to agree to this part of their proposal. However, after many months of work by the PM Soldier Weapons program office, in coordination with their legal counsel and the Army Materiel Command, approval was granted for the transfer of all serviceable M24 parts to Remington Arms in exchange for a reduced contract price on respective XM2010s.

...here's where the 2012 announcement noted "less than 2,000 systems," but I wasn't sure if that included just the complete M24R SWS system with deployment case, or if the 'Rifle only' volumes were included in that total.

System price will be $3,500 – about half the current Government price for a new system. Remington expects to offer less than 2,000 of these systems for sale over the next 2 years so supplies are limited. Delivery time may be up to 9 months from time of order as these rifles will be made on the same production line as XM2010s and FMS M24s and those orders take priority.

...Anyhow, I think the M24Rs are a good investment given the limited production with take-off parts, etc. I would never sell mine, it will be passed down.

Last edited:
Reactions: sandwarrior
Which parts exactly are "take-off" parts on the M24R?

Obviously the stock is, but what other parts were issued/used prior to Remington re-building these into complete M24s?

Obviously the stock is, but what other parts were issued/used prior to Remington re-building these into complete M24s?
How did your rifle come, rifle itself or rifle with scope. Seems just the stock and bottom metal, looks to me that the narreled action and trigger are new manufacture.

On mine it was clearly the stock and bottom metal. Per Remington's contract with the US Army, all serviceable parts that were removed for the M2010 program could be re-used on the M24R rebuilds. I think Remington apparently refinished some parts, ie, scope mounts, iron sight blocks, etc, so its hard to say exactly what small parts are take-off versus replaced parts. I think the old Redfield iron sight mounting blocks are refinished original parts, as the originals haven't been made since the late 80s. (Mine has the later OK Weber iron sight mounts which are a little different than the late 1980's Redfield parts).

To the best of my knowledge, there were 3 parts that were always new on the M24Rs:

1. M24R receiver's are new as the US Army re-used the serviceable ones for the M2010s, and US Army will not allow its serial numbered receivers to be re-sold to the public. (Note: Any M24/M2010 receiver that develops or exhibits a potential issue is destroyed by Remington as part of their support contract with the DoD).
2. M24 fire control unit (trigger and safety) are new, as it would be too much liability for Remington to re-sell a used trigger unit that might be been modified, worn-out, or otherwise 'messed with' in its military service, resulting in a unsafe firing mechanism. The new M24R triggers went through the same rigerous testing protocol that the military requires.
3. M24 barrels are new for obvious reasons - who wants to buy an M24R with a potentially worn-out barrel? Again, these are mil-spec M24 barrels that go through an extra honing process by Remington Defense, stamped '7.62 NATO' etc.

As for the other small parts, if they were serviceable they were apparently refinished and re-used. If not, they were replaced. Some kits had painted scope rings, scope rails, and some Harris bipods that matched the camo job on the stock, but I was not lucky enough to get the whole kit with such parts. (Pic #4 is not my M24R, but it came with the take-off/matching Leupold M3A optic and the long discontinued one-piece scope rail. I am 99% sure the scope, sunshade, rings, and scope rail are associated with that painted M24 stock while in military service....not all M24Rs had that level of matching take-off parts, but many did).

My take-off optic is a 1989 dated M3A Ultra that had its camo paint removed at some point in the past, with only some remaining on the rear lens cover, etc. I had it sent back to Leupold for a no-cost Warranty/Inspection process as it had fine grit or debris in the rear ocular. They replaced that glass and reticle and returned the scope to me with all the patina in tact, but with new glass. Rings are also take-off parts.

As noted in the last picture, my projects often start with a take-off stock: M40A1 on top, and my Navy Mk 13 Mod 3 project is in process (bottom stock).

Attachments

• M24R w Deployment items1.jpg
    M24R w Deployment items1.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 398
  • M24R bottom of stock.jpg
    M24R bottom of stock.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 315
  • M24_optic_rt_side.JPG
    M24_optic_rt_side.JPG
    476.4 KB · Views: 383
  • russ_M24R_range2.jpg
    russ_M24R_range2.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 1,192
  • McMillan_take-off_stocks2.png
    McMillan_take-off_stocks2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 359
Last edited:
Does anyone know exactly which optic Nick is running on this rig? When you zoom in on the power ring it looks like the focal range is 4.5-14x, but I could not find any information about a MK4 4.5-14x40 with M3 turrets.

Today I finally learned the answer to that question about the mysterious Leupold Mk 4, 4.5-14x scope that Nick Irving was using on that M24 years ago (circa 2009). I am now convinced it was actually a specially-made scope used on the relatively low production US Army Ranger-specific 300 WinMag rifle, the Mk 13 Mod 2. Another forum member found one of these scopes, and apparently it's a first focal plane scope with BDC turrets for use with the "A191 300 WinMag" ammo. The scopes are reportedly dated to 2002. (K-suffix serial #). (EDIT: Perhaps Premier Reticles converted them to 1st Focal Plane?)

As far as I can tell from the Mk 13 literature, apparently they don't have a local NSN #, which is odd. Leupold's custom shop (or Premier Reticle?) must have made a small number for the Rangers's back in 2002-3. I don't think Leupold sold First Focal Plan commercial scopes with variable power until 2007 or so....hence the Leupold 4.5-14x scopes with M3 turrets used on the Mk 13 Mod 2's are really unique little scopes. Just an fyi to close the loop on this question from months ago...

Attachments

• IMG_6310.jpg
    IMG_6310.jpg
    857.9 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_6311.jpg
    IMG_6311.jpg
    934.7 KB · Views: 295
  • Irving_The_U.S._Army_-_World's_premier_snipers_converge_on_Fort_Benning_2009.jpg
    Irving_The_U.S._Army_-_World's_premier_snipers_converge_on_Fort_Benning_2009.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 308
  • Mk 13 Mod 2_Ranger6.jpeg
    Mk 13 Mod 2_Ranger6.jpeg
    187.6 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:
Interesting, circa 2002 obviously no mk4's back then but vari-x. I believe I have seen some of the leupys with premier reticles in ffp wonder who supplied them.

Today I finally learned the answer to that question about the mysterious Leupold Mk 4, 4.5-14x scope that Nick Irving was using on that M24 years ago (circa 2009). I am now convinced it was actually a specially-made scope used on the relatively low production US Army Ranger-specific 300 WinMag rifle, the Mk 13 Mod 2. Another forum member found one of these scopes, and apparently it's a first focal plane scope with BDC turrets for use with the "A191 300 WinMag" ammo. The scopes are reportedly dated to 2002. (K-suffix serial #). (EDIT: Perhaps Premier Reticles converted them to 1st Focal Plane?)

As far as I can tell from the Mk 13 literature, apparently they don't have a local NSN #, which is odd. Leupold's custom shop must have made a small number for the Rangers's back in 2002-3. I don't think Leupold sold First Focal Plan commercial scopes with variable power until 2007 or so....hence the Leupold 4.5-14x scopes with M3 turrets used on the Mk 13 Mod 2's are really unique little scopes. Just an fyi to close the loop on this question from months ago...
Sadly, I wish there were things us "old Scrollers" got that the "new Scrollers" got. I remember getting laughed at in 1985 for suggesting we go to a bolt action rifle for better accuracy. It even went so far as an E-7, who was in that meeting , afterwards telling me what a 'stieeuuwwpud idea' that was! WOW!

Of course, technology hadn't caught up to us in any form or fashion. :rolleyes:

Reactions: sinister and mjh30

As far as I can tell from the Mk 13 literature, apparently they don't have a local NSN #, which is odd. Leupold's custom shop must have made a small number for the Rangers's back in 2002-3. I don't think Leupold sold First Focal Plan commercial scopes with variable power until 2007 or so....hence the Leupold 4.5-14x scopes with M3 turrets used on the Mk 13 Mod 2's are really unique little scopes. Just an fyi to close the loop on this question from months ago...
Good invaluable info. Thanks for running it down.

here are the three 4.5-14x 40mm Mildot F1 m3 turrets. I have been building a mod 2 for a while and never expected to stumble onto these. Now i want to put one on an m24. Single scope is mine, USMCSGT got the other pair and posted photos in the mk13 thread.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 12.36.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 12.36.46 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 238
  • IMG_5691.jpg
    IMG_5691.jpg
    443.4 KB · Views: 267
  • 118214767_1238818759787406_538798667048087657_n.jpg
    118214767_1238818759787406_538798667048087657_n.jpg
    446.1 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
For those that have bought the EuroOptics M24, what trigger pull weight are you experiencing?

Mine must be close to 4 pounds and makes accuracy hard to accomplish. So far I have been able to shoot under some 1/2 MOA but I think the gun is capable of better with a lighter trigger pull.

Mine must be close to 4 pounds and makes accuracy hard to accomplish.

I think this link might be bad now, but here's some relevant info: http://www.snipershide.com/m24-sniper-weapons-system

THE TRIGGER

One component of the M24 specification was the requirement for a user adjustable trigger (“the rifle shall have a trigger pull capable of being adjusted by the user”). The trigger weight was to be not less than 2 lbs 8oz and “more” than 4lbs (it could exceed 4 lbs). As a result of these specifications, Remington modified their existing trigger by adding a screw and a spring in the trigger shoe than can be adjusted by the operator. This trigger is called the “M24 Fire Control” and is normally only used on the M24 series of rifles (M24, M24A2, M24A3).

While the M24 Fire Control is technically unique, truthfully it is as stated a standard Remington commercial 700 trigger (fire control) with a screw and a spring in the trigger shoe to allow it to be adjusted by the user. It is worth noting that “adjustment” is a relative term when it comes to this trigger. What I mean is that the trigger is manufactured (set up) to be somewhere between 3.5 and 5 lbs (they try to get around 3.8 – 4lbs), however the adjustment screw can never make it any lighter, only heavier. In other words, the screw can be completely removed without making the trigger/weapon unsafe and in fact many sniper students do exactly that. The intent of the requirement was to give the sniper an adjustable trigger (as I know the shooters involved with development specified), however soldiers being soldiers, if there is a screw that can be manipulated, it will be and Remington did not want a weapon system that could be made unsafe.

It’s worth noting that each M24 Fire Control is set and then tested with 5 pulls; the trigger must produce a pull force less than 5lbs throughout the test to be used. Once the trigger is set, the sear engagement screw is peened; a punch is used to dent the screw pathway so that that it cannot back out. Also, all three adjustment screws are coated with a shellac material that dries hard. Usually this shellac is red, but I have seen clear as well.

...each M24 trigger goes through a good bit of testing as noted above, and ~ 4 lbs (or a tad less) is what one should expect for a mil-spec M24 trigger pull.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjh30
For those that have bought the EuroOptics M24, what trigger pull weight are you experiencing?

Mine must be close to 4 pounds and makes accuracy hard to accomplish. So far I have been able to shoot under some 1/2 MOA but I think the gun is capable of better with a lighter trigger pull.
I put a Jewel trigger in mine. Mine shoots 1/4-1/2 MOA with FGMM 168-175

I took some cool pics today of her.

Attachments

• 2EF22501-A7E7-4D1D-A394-2A5F735BD118.jpeg
    2EF22501-A7E7-4D1D-A394-2A5F735BD118.jpeg
    373.6 KB · Views: 370
  • 33324382-6D25-4118-8995-2C070334282F.jpeg
    33324382-6D25-4118-8995-2C070334282F.jpeg
    379.2 KB · Views: 632
The M110-SASS EMA-ARD is what I found. Its plastic bodied versus aluminum. Threads screw on secure.

“The only thing used by the military on that gun is the stock, perhaps the trigger and floor plate, everything else is new.“

Yes, but other than CMP’s vintage 1940s-50s era M1 Garands, the US Army is pretty effective in de-milling/destroying former US Army weapons, and parts. Very little of it exists in the private market. Thus the original “camo” painted take-off M24R stocks are unique. You know better than me, but I think the US Army only allowed Remington ~3500 stocks (EDIT/Correction: 2,000) to be sold on the M24Rs, so the supply is limited, compared to the volume of M700 rifles sold.

I will note that McMillian sold the well-used USMC M40A1 “return” stocks back in 2006-07 for about $260 shipped - but today they bring 4x to 6x times more $ given market scarcity. My M24R rifle only costs me $2k in 2015, but today I think on gun broker it would sell for $3k or more due to supply constraints. ($5500 plus with original optics and goodies - but I would never sell my M24R rifle). It’s the closest I’ll get to a real M24, and I guess as a collector, the military service-based patina of the painted stock (and apparently some old skate-board tape as well) appeals to me. I like the patina, just as I like the old camo paint and patina of my painted M40A1 stock. To others of course it’s basically just an old beat-up stock...my 2cts.

Reactions: D_TROS
They are three ema's that I know off, plastic and metal basically off the M110 and the early ema for the M24

Screenshot_20200908-212639_Chrome.jpg

I have no idea whether or not the later plastic and metal versions were issued with the M24. As for the original ema, never even saw a picture of the original dual threaded ard until recently, that is correct.

Anyone have an EMA ARD they're willing to part with?

As seen in post #578, there are apparently 3 flavors of 40mm ERDs (aka LFUs) for Leupold scopes - but their is an important nuance to the part you seek.
Leupold changed the thread pitch in 2004 on their tactical scopes, so the sunshades (and ERDs) for the pre-2004 scopes don't fit the post-2004 scopes very well - if at all. The original ERD (on far right of that pic) is hard to find. Its fits the old Ultra M3A scope (circa 1987-1992/3) and the Mk 4, 10x scopes made circa 1993 to 2003.

The middle ERD with scan tag is reportedly an M110 unit, and fits the "post-2004" scopes (ie, M110 was adopted ~ 2008, and the Leupold FDE 3.5-10x scopes have the 'post-2004' type threads). You might be able to find one on eBay, maybe...

The plastic one on the far left (see attached) is more common and I think its still in production. I was able to find 2 of them this year. It fits the post-2004 Leupold scopes, and were issued with the US Army M14-EBR-RI beginning in 2009 (see 2nd pic of US Army M14-EBRs in training exercise).

Anyhow, just wanted to point out a thread pitch change occurred on Leupold tactical scopes circa 2004 - and how that impacts what ERD/LFU can be utilized. The majority of M24s likely had pre-2004 scopes (either M3A Ultra or the later Mk 4 after 1993) and presumably the large early aluminum ERD with the white alignment line as seen in the other post. If you have a pre-2004 era Leupold scope, then you'll have to hunt one down...

I suppose it is possible that some Leupold scopes were damaged in combat and replaced in the 2004-2009 era with current production Mk 4, 10x scopes - and thus conceivably some could have a post-2004 scope and possibly use an M110 type ERD unit, but that is just a guess. Good luck in your search.

Attachments

• Tenebraex_ARD_40mm_Leupold_scopes.jpg
    Tenebraex_ARD_40mm_Leupold_scopes.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 183
  • US Army M14 EBR-RI training.jpg
    US Army M14 EBR-RI training.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Reactions: LUNCHBOX0621
Random Guy by chance do you have any pics of the original dual threaded ard.

I think 'IlikeBMXbikes' has all the goodies and might have a pic of what you requested. Attached is the ERD that I have.
Unfortunately I don't have the honey-comb ARD that screws into the front of this old ERD...but hope to find one at some point.

Attachments

• IMG_6673.jpg
    IMG_6673.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_6674.jpg
    IMG_6674.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 84
I think 'IlikeBMXbikes' has all the goodies and might have a pic of what you requested. Attached is the ERD that I have.
Unfortunately I don't have the honey-comb ARD that screws into the front of this old ERD...but hope to find one at some point.

Have the same one, have you seen pictures of the original ard.

Have the same one, have you seen pictures of the original ard.

Not in person. Attached pics are not my rifle, but I know the owner with the attached set-up on his XM25 replica.
I tried to buy this ARD unit and the neat scope covers with an 1990-dated M3A scope I got from him, but he kept these two rare parts...

Attachments

• ULTRA M3A - 4.jpeg
    ULTRA M3A - 4.jpeg
    16.2 KB · Views: 120
  • ULTRA M3A - 5.jpeg
    ULTRA M3A - 5.jpeg
    6.7 KB · Views: 133
  • XM25_ARD_cover_angle.JPG
    XM25_ARD_cover_angle.JPG
    420.3 KB · Views: 154
  • XM25_ARD_scope_cover_up.JPG
    XM25_ARD_scope_cover_up.JPG
    247.9 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Not in person. Attached pics are not my rifle, but I know the owner with the attached set-up on his XM25 replica.
I tried to buy this ARD unit and the neat scope covers with an 1990-dated M3A scope I got from him, but he kept these two rare parts...
Lol, neither have I, only for you I have only seen the pics once, at least its a reference.
Screenshot_20200908-180107_Chrome.jpg

Finished up modding a WB490 rear and swapped out the OK Weber bases. Wanted to return this to an early issued configuration.
Rifle has small logo buttpad, Dakota bottom metal, 1989 Ultra M3a and rings/bases. Just received a 1995 dated sling and old style Allen case to finish it up.
Was also fortunate enough to snag an as new M49 kit to go with it.
20200828_175242.jpg
20200103_200041_001.jpg
20200103_195834.jpg
20200906_082357.jpg

Looks great, especially the wb490 need mine parked to be honest. Both stocks have the small logo, both were c prefix rifles from the tags on the stocks. As for the bottom metal dont know

Reactions: m1marty
Just a few more pictures, the original lsu(ema) decilog attached, the metal version with scan tag attached and the pair combined and finally just the ard, all mounted on a 90 m3a.

20200912_192600.jpg20200912_192752.jpg

Attachments

• 20200912_192827.jpg
    20200912_192827.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 20200912_192910.jpg
    20200912_192910.jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 94
Looks great, especially the wb490 need mine parked to be honest. Both stocks have the small logo, both were c prefix rifles from the tags on the stocks. As for the bottom metal dont know
I do the shaping, low psi glass bead and parkerizing here at home. A little time consuming but nothing bad.

Reactions: mjh30
I'm thinking about building a M24 clone.
Given the long action I'm thinking about fitting a 1-8" 308win barrel and use 180 and 198gr Warner Flatline bullets.
Has anyone tried this? What about bullet point damage during feeding from magazine.
A 308win with 198gr Flatline can really scare the 6 and 6.5s at long ranges :)

Last edited:
Reactions: sinister
Given the long action I'm thinking about fitting a 1-8" 308win barrel and use 180 and 198gr Warner Flatline bullets.
Has anyone tried this? What about bullet point damage during feeding from magazine.

Not sure you could quite call it a clone, with different barrel specs. I'm sure some of ftr guys have considered or tried the long action. But with a short action and single feeding those long bullets provided one has enough freebore don't cause an issue. Unfortunately with a long freebore one can have issues with 175's and lower. As for the loading long in the m24, I'm using 175lrbt's, loaded to a long coal, with the bdl box interior dimensions again no issue. As for bullet point damage never an issue I ran into.

A 308win with 198gr Flatline can really scare the 6 and 6.5s at long ranges

If one wants to compete with the 6.5 Creedmore or 6.5 PRC that shoot accurately out to 1200 to 1500 yards - and is considering using a long action M700 - then I suggest 300 WinMag, not a 308W. The 300 WinMag has enough powder capacity to launch a 190 to 230 grain bullet at a high enough velocity to compete with the 6.5 CM/PRC. The 308W can't do that, esp with a heavy 198 grain bullet - that's what the 300 WinMag was invented and used for... The US Army wanted more range out of their M24s, so a decade ago they re-barreled all those long actions into 300 WinMag and haven't looked back. The Mk 248 Mod 1 ammo (with 220 grain bullet) has an effective range of 1500 meters, which is basically the max range of 140-147gr 6.5 CM/PRC ammo. Barrel life is shorter though. My 2cts.

See post #671, this guy took two Mk 13 Mod 0 stocks, and built one replica in 300 WinMag, and built the other replica in 6.5x55 Swede, which with modern/full-power loads is a true long-range rifle that uses a long action. (Note: Lapua loads their 6.5x55 ammo at full power for modern actions, etc). Another option?...

Last edited:
It wouldn’t be clone if you do this. You might as well just do a rifle the way you want to. M24 it wouldn’t be.

The only deviation from a bone stock in a long action M24 is 1-8" twist in the barrel and probably some changes to the 308 chamber config to handle the very long 198gr Flatbase. Doing this, and if the very sensitive tips on these bullets are not damaged during feeding from a long m700 action, this M24 will have 1500yds+ range and still be backward compatible with linked MG 146gr Nato ball ammo in a SHTF scenario. I do not need 300wm when I can shoot at the same range with a cleverly loaded 308win.

The 198gr FB in a 300wm will outranges a 308 with a wide margin but then again; you have a single shot rifle, less barrellife, etc, etc..

198gr Flatbase in 308: https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...atlines-elr-in-mt-results-from-field.6639490/

Reactions: Master Gunny
The only deviation from a bone stock in a long action M24 is 1-8" twist in the barrel and probably some changes to the 308 chamber config to handle the very long 198gr Flatbase. Doing this, and if the very sensitive tips on these bullets are not damaged during feeding from a long m700 action, this M24 will have 1500yds+ range and still be backward compatible with linked MG 146gr Nato ball ammo in a SHTF scenario. I do not need 300wm when I can shoot at the same range with a cleverly loaded 308win.

The 198gr FB in a 300wm will outranges a 308 with a wide margin but then again; you have a single shot rifle, less barrellife, etc, etc..

198gr Flatbase in 308: https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...atlines-elr-in-mt-results-from-field.6639490/
It won’t be an M24 clone though. You are just putting a long action together with 1/8 twist and calling it an M24 clone. That’s a farce. Nice idea but not even close to a clone. Probably deserves to be on a different thread. Not being a smarty pants. Just being real.

Finished up modding a WB490 rear and swapped out the OK Weber bases. Wanted to return this to an early issued configuration.
Rifle has small logo buttpad, Dakota bottom metal, 1989 Ultra M3a and rings/bases. Just received a 1995 dated sling and old style Allen case to finish it up.
Was also fortunate enough to snag an as new M49 kit to go with it.
View attachment 7420622View attachment 7420625View attachment 7420626View attachment 7420627
Your M49 is a nice find! I've got an M48 TM dated 7/59 you can have if you want it. Main differences are leather straps. Tripod & can are the same. LMK.

Reactions: m1marty
Since the original ema's and matching ards are rarer than hens teeth, looked at the manual and saw this. Obviously whether they were issued items with the SWS is another thing.
20201006_134425.jpg