• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ashbury 338

Jimmym40a2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2008
Colorado
ashbury338.jpg

Anyone ever seen one of these?
"ASHBURY ASW338LM SNIPER RIFLE
Engineered around the versatile .338 Lapua Magnum cartridge, Ashbury’s ASW338LM is based on the combination of a Surgeon XL bolt action receiver and the SABER-FORSST modular stock chassis system. This sniper system enables shots on enemy targets and lightly armored threats out to 1,500 yards. The ASW stock can be folded and extended, while incorporating an adjustable cheek piece and folding monopod. The composite forend includes a monolithic top rail, a thermal heat management system and side rails that are co-bore aligned. Bullets are sent out of a Rock Creek 416 5R Pinnacle barrel with an optional muzzle brake or suppressor system. The manufacturers report sub-MOA accuracy with RUAG target ammunition beyond 1,500 yards. For more information, visit "
http://www.tactical-life.com/online/products/ashbury-intls-asw338lm-sniper-rifle/?hp=products_title

Re: Ashbury 338

I've just submitted the article on the system, so you'll see a lot more on it shortly. When I get a date for the magazine I'll post it here. In the meantime, I can say it's VERY nice. That's the 20" gun pictured with an AAC can. I've still got the 27" gun here for further testing.

The stock system will be available commercially for the TRG-42, Remington 700 and Badger 2008 actions.

Cory Trapp
Gunsite Academy, Inc.

I lost interest as soon as I heard it was not available to the public.... I believe Jered at Patriot has built a couple of these.

It will be publiclly available for the standard XL action by the end of the year. The grip angle is adjustable via three different bases, pick what you like. It's also adjustable for reach, the base is serrated. Final pricing is not yet available, I'll post here as soon as that's been determined. You can figure it won't be cheap, but some of that depends on the scale of production. Building 20 of a complex item is never cheap, build 1000 and the numbers change quite a bit.

I have shot it at 550, 900 and 1200 and really like the feel of it. It is a very comfortable and easy rifle to get behind. At 550 with the .338LM, it is cool to watch the steel target quake before you have even ridden the recoil all the way through. I also like that there were no heat signals drifting up in my field of view after going through some magazines fairly quickly. The pod is quite nice as well, allowing very small incremental elevation changes with the slighest movement of the hand. It stores nicely for carry as well.

At this point, about the only things I'd like to see are a bit lighter weight, (I'm told that about 1.5 lbs should come off in the final build) and a sling cup up front in the forend so as not to require the side rails. The production mags will have removable floorplates. I'd also like to see the stock able to be shorter, then min of 13.5" is close to max as far as I'm concerned, I've got no clue who might want it out to 16.5".

Arch is right, it shoots way soft, partly the weight (about 20 lbs all up & loaded right now), partly the stock design itself.

I'm torn about the dip in the stock tube at the hinge, the original was straight line. The were some issues in getting the cheekpiece low enough, hence the bend. Now the rings are higher to accomodate the unitized top rail for the PVS-26, HISS, etc. Now I run the cheekpiece almost all the way up, go figure.

I sure would like to have one of these, might be nice to do a Norma setup in one.

Re: Price?

There is no retail price set at present, and I'd hate to speculate until production is ramped up. As soon as that happens, you'll see it here.

Accurate-Mag has built the magazines for the gun, ive held the gun, its pretty cool, its not light, it can shoot, the grip you see is a magpul AR grip, and if you like a AR grips for heavy long distance guns good for you!

Yes, it was on a show called The Unit. The silencer is an AAC TiTAN-QD.

I did not know about it until today. I assume they got them as a package from Ashbury.

Here is the rifle at AAC:

mg7090o.jpg

Tell her take the ring off for next photo, so some can have hope.

I got a chance to view this rifle at the Shot Show. I haven't stopped thinking about it since. The guys at the booth gave me the flyer, and I hung it on my wall in my office. Sure wish it would be available to the public.

Oh, and the girl....there is nothing that is not hot in that pic.

Yeah, that was mine, one of the first test beds. There's a link to the first post I made about it

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...true#Post510280

I understand Jacob liked it. Sadly, I'm now waiting for a Phase II rifle of my own, which may be several more weeks.

It's looking like we may be able to put together about 20 of these as a commercial offering, using the Phase I center section and buttstock, but with the new forend. I'll make a post here when we get that together, there are a few other irons in the fire at the moment.

Ugh...time to add another rifle to the wishlist..damnit!

The Unit using an AAC TiTAN-QD on Ashbury rifle.

unittitan.jpg

From the infos I got they'll be available to the public next September/october 2009 ,
PP out

We are working on some Mod 0's for public consumption right now. They won't have the unitized top rail or side folder. As soon as info becomes solid, I'll make an announcement here. In the meantime, the article in Harris Pubs Special Weapons magazine is out there now.

Cory ,
let me well understand , the one you'll be going to release for civvies is not going to have the 12 o'clock long rail for mounting the NVDs and the folding stock , is it that ?
Thanks,
PP out

The first release will not have the monolothic rail. There will be a forward rail section for you PVS-22/26, it's just not one piece. There are some challenges involved with end users bolting that system together and not torquing everything up wrong. The folder will end up being available, and could be retrofitted to the first one out the door, it's just a cost cutting and timing issue. The production costs of the lightweight hinge are not really settled yet, so it would be crazy expensive.

Read your article today while at work. Can't wait until the civilian version is out on the market! Good Article.

Ed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ed Baker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Read your article today while at work. Can't wait until the civilian version is out on the market! Good Article.

Ed</div></div>
+1 I would like to know how much they are going to cost.

They are hard at work to get production systems in place. Top priority at the moment is the PSR project for SOCOM. As soon as I get any realistic numbers, I'll post here. It won't be cheap, but it'll be worth it.

Glad you enjoyed the article!

It's in the August issue of Special Weapons for Military and Police, you'll see Ichi's great photo on the cover.

Ichi needs to lay off the red and blue filter on his lights... I have a good mind to give him a run for his money. The colored highlights have gotten really old really quick.

I'm thinking I might enter his workspace and show people there is more to a picture than a red light skipping across the frame.

wink.gif

Well, they are eye catching. I submited this

TheASW338riflesontherangeduringtest.jpg

Some of his night shots came out very nice, I've got no idea where they will turn up.

I really liked the pics he did of his black widow 1911 in .38 super they were great. He did use the red filter though as the lettering was all black and red so I do see what you mean. I have no doubt seeing your photog' talants you would give him a huge run for his money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ichi needs to lay off the red and blue filter on his lights... I have a good mind to give him a run for his money. The colored highlights have gotten really old really quick.

I'm thinking I might enter his workspace and show people there is more to a picture than a red light skipping across the frame.

wink.gif
</div></div>

Picked up the magazine and read the article Cory, very well done. I have a question. You said it has a couple of mounting points on the stock for buttons (electronics). The pictures are not to clear on the stock so I couldn't see how or where they were located. Can you elaborate?

Thanks! On the pic aboce, look just below the center of the cheekpiece. It's a 3 slot piece of 1913 rail. The RULR, for example, has a remote switch, so you can fire the laser to get a range from your normal shooting position.

As soon as pricing and deliver becomes available, I'll post it here.