• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AT Vs AX differences

LRJammer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2011
Southwest US
Hello AI fans. I am contemplating a new AI but am not sure which direction to go.

From what I can tell, the primary difference between the AT and the AX (non MC), is the chassis mag cutout on AX and the quick change barrel that is present on the AT, but not on the AX. They are both bonded flat bottom actions with the same trigger (accoring to Lowlight's intro video). The AX has the copious rail options due to the tube type forend. Naturally the AX is a good chunck more money than the AT.

Is there anything that I am missing? Are there substantive advantages or disadvantages that one has over the other in terms of practical application and/or performance?

Since I have an AX currently and a AT on order I'm probably a bit biased and would say get both.

Would you likely be leaving it one caliber or would the quick change barrel be a benefit to you? You can still easily change barrels with an old AX with just a few tools but it's not practical to do anywhere like with the AT.

Will you be running any tactical competitions? If so the AX will have more advantages than the AT. The main advantage is the forend design. For shooting off barricades I wouldn't have it any other way. You simply rest the tube on the barricade and drive the forend into it and you can get very stable and stiffen up on wobbly barricades. The mag cutout also comes in very handy if you have to reload in a low position so you don't have to break it and reposition your rifle.

Depending on your needs you may actually want to try to justify the extra cost for the new AX.

Unfortunately, getting both is just not an option for me.

I would probably get it in a 20" 308 version and get a 260 barrel later but I dont necessarily need to be able to change on the fly. It would be nice, but certainly not a requirement. I have shot a few matches and would very much like to get deeper into the sport. Is the AT 308 barrel the same 1:12 twist or is it 1:10? Couldnt find that info on the Mile High site.

Either one is going to be stretching the wallet in terms of price but the older AX is doable, but the MC is getting out of reach.

If matches are a thought I would definitely sway towards the AX platform. If you plan of swapping barrels I would try to make the new AX happen if remotely possible. Keep in mind the expense for tools to swap barrels on the old AX you're looking at roughy $250 for a barrel vise and action wrench and another $250 for a quality torque wrench. Another $500 you'll have to spend to change barrels on the older AX. I have the tools anyway and I have no intentions of changing barrels on my match rifle until one is burnt out so it's not an issue for me.

The barrels on the AT are the UK LW 1:12's. I believe the new AX's come with the same.

I already have a barrel vise and torque wrench so I'm good there. Found the thread on the hide member that makes the action wrenches so that is all I would need, other than the barrel. I may have to just get the AX in 260 Rem. Does the 1:12 twist of the LW barrels stabilize heavier bullets? (175-200 grain) effectively?

At 308 velocities a 1:12 will stabilize everything up to and including 208 Amax and that's a long damn bullet. The only real advantage to a 1:10 is subsonic use.