• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ATF e-filing no big deal

gloryman

Private
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2017
Oklahoma
Seems like every retailer is now celebrating ATF’s belated implementation of e-filing regardless of suppressor type. I say they’ve proven they can’t be efficient with e-filing Form 1’s for so long this shouldn’t get us too excited. Am I missing something? What’s the excitement about, boosting sales?

Yep - I usually get my Form 1 e-files back in a couple of weeks. But, I remember the old, original Form 4 e-file, so I'm skeptical the ATF can pull this off. But, I remain hopeful..........🤞

Agree, skeptical but hopeful. It will be interesting to see how this pans out. But then again, I always seem to be 'that' guy with the ATF - my last Form 1 e-file took 4 months, not weeks. If there's a way for the gubbermint to screw it up, bets are they will.

My first form 1 in 2019 took 26 days to come back approved

My last one filed on November 1 of this year came back on the 24th approved

There seems to be an assumption that new form 4 efilers will somehow jump the line and there won’t be a lag due to paper applications already pending. I’m not sure why that is……

Reactions: AMGtuned
There seems to be an assumption that new form 4 efilers will somehow jump the line and there won’t be a lag due to paper applications already pending. I’m not sure why that is……
They might tho. Paper form 1’s take longer than the efile. So the first efile 4’s may pass up the last paper filed 4’s

Form 1 papers are over 200 days currently. My efile came back in 24 days

Ignore the circle. Was sending to a friend for reference
2A85368C-59C8-4405-A704-C6FDE1CDEA3A.jpeg

Y’all act like the bottle neck is solely with the ATF. You have the FBI in the mix too. And, e-file form 1s are a minor component of the whole NFA system. Jam a significant portion of the form 4s into the e-file system and they'll be taking as long as paper in short order.

They might tho. Paper form 1’s take longer than the efile. So the first efile 4’s may pass up the last paper filed 4’s

Form 1 papers are over 200 days currently. My efile came back in 24 days

Ignore the circle. Was sending to a friend for reference
View attachment 7753240
I’m not questioning that an eform would get processed faster based on anecdotal evidence. I’m questioning that eforms would jump the line.

My form 4 has been at the atf since the beginning of June and not slated to be approved until around April. They seem pretty backlogged. Now purportedly somehow eforms are going to jump ahead of me??

I do like that folks pushing idea this because there will be a bunch of dullards who can’t read or do basic math that will cancel and reapply on an eform, erroneously thinking it will be faster. This “dullard squad” could speed mine up. Carry on…..

Last edited:
Y’all act like the bottle neck is solely with the ATF. You have the FBI in the mix too. And, e-file form 1s are a minor component of the whole NFA system. Jam a significant portion of the form 4s into the e-file system and they'll be taking as long as paper in short order.
Depending on how the system works I could see it speeding things up over time. That said, I think it is naïve to think we are going to go from 0 to 100 here.

Of course I said something very similar about the hearing protection act when certain industry folks were going around saying it was all but a done deal……

Depending on how the system works I could see it speeding things up over time. That said, I think it is naïve to think we are going to go from 0 to 100 here.

Of course I said something very similar about the hearing protection act when certain industry folks were going around saying it was all but a done deal……
.gov could fuck up running a whore house…

I’m not questioning that an eform would get processed faster based on anecdotal evidence. I’m questioning that eforms would jump the line.

My form 4 has been at the atf since the beginning of June and not slated to be approved until around April. They seem pretty backlogged. Now purportedly somehow eforms are going to jump ahead of me??

I do like that folks pushing idea this because there will be a bunch of dullards who can’t read or do basic math that will cancel and reapply on an eform, erroneously thinking it will be faster. This “dullard squad” could speed mine up. Carry on…..
I remember the original eFile system. When it worked it worked fine - approval times were pretty good too. Much better than paper at the time.

As for people "jumping the line" - I don't give a fuck. If they could approve an electronic e-file in 1 day that would be ideal. Even if my paper stuff that's still in the system took forever.

Why? Because the number of people in the NFA game would SKYROCKET - and we need as many people to have skin in that game as physically possible.

Since they audit the form before they cash the check, they could just do the background check at the same time and move all paper transactions to less than 30 days. Not logical to believe that one type of form miraculously takes 10x longer to process.

If they actually wanted to shorten the processing time, which it doesn't seem that they do.

Reactions: gloryman
The NFA stuff is the only .gov shit I know if that a “customer” has to redo their background check, finger prints and picture every time. That is forcing the Inefficiency. I suspect I know why they haven’t gone to a PIN number system, but that would be the single biggest change to speed up receipt of a NFA items except removing it from NFA.

Even if they handled it like TSA, where you could apply for and pay for a quick pass to get around security because you’re pre-vetted. This shit should take no longer than e-paying the stamp and either printing a stamp or maybe waiting for one in the mail once the payment is sent.

I’m in the market for a SOCOM 7.62RC2 so my hope is this works fabulously but I seriously doubt it will make much difference, at least for the next year.

Maybe that can divert some of the 82,000 IRS agents Biden wants over to the ATF processing center…..

My last form 1 Efile was 3 weeks, funny thing I had a question and sent a ask the experts and got the response to the question in 6 months.

I'm not very hopeful that this will improve anything. I hope that it does, but I doubt it. The entire eforms system is so terrible, and crashes multiple times usually when I'm filing, that I swear it's designed that way to dissuade people from owning those items.

As for people "jumping the line" - I don't give a fuck. If they could approve an electronic e-file in 1 day that would be ideal. Even if my paper stuff that's still in the system took forever.
Ok there seems to be a reading comprehension problem here. Jesus. I feel like I am typing Arabic or something. It’s like you guys read with your emotions and not what is actually stated.

I never questioned the “morality” of people jumping the line. Your “emotions”, just made that up.

I'm not very hopeful that this will improve anything. I hope that it does, but I doubt it. The entire eforms system is so terrible, and crashes multiple times usually when I'm filing, that I swear it's designed that way to dissuade people from owning those items.
Yea that is not encouraging......

Ok there seems to be a reading comprehension problem here. Jesus. I feel like I am typing Arabic or something. It’s like you guys read with your emotions and not what is actually stated.

I never questioned the “morality” of people jumping the line. Your “emotions”, just made that up.
You made an emotionally charged moral discourse out of my statement that "I don't give a fuck." :)

Reactions: Baron23

The bottle-neck is shipping and processing papers between the ATF and FBI. Doing that electronically is what is cutting down the time. The faster the FBI returns the background the faster the ATF processes stamps.

Since they audit the form before they cash the check, they could just do the background check at the same time and move all paper transactions to less than 30 days. Not logical to believe that one type of form miraculously takes 10x longer to process.

If they actually wanted to shorten the processing time, which it doesn't seem that they do.

They don't though.

They cash your check, review your form and mail the stuff to the FBI. There it sits until they review and process the background and then they mail it back to the ATF. ATF then processes the form and puts the stamp on.

If the ATF were capable of doing their own checks it may work quicker. As it is they're essentially tax collector's waiting on FBI to notify if they're ok to process the taxes.

I'm hopeful the times improve but not confident.
But perhaps my opinion is driven by my anger that the whole tax requirement is unconstitutional ... and I suspect that unless they discontinue the required ATF approval altogether, I'll remain pessimistic of the entire process regardless of times. But since the government rarely surrenders power, I'm pessimistic that the ATF will ever relinquish its control. (signed, Mr. Pessimism ;))

They don't though.

They cash your check, review your form and mail the stuff to the FBI. There it sits until they review and process the background and then they mail it back to the ATF. ATF then processes the form and puts the stamp on.

If the ATF were capable of doing their own checks it may work quicker. As it is they're essentially tax collector's waiting on FBI to notify if they're ok to process the taxes.

Then how can they process Form 1's so quickly? Why not have the same procedure for all of them?

3 Form 1’s this year, 3 weeks on all of them.
I’d bet that after 3-6 months that may be typical for F4’s.

Chevy Man, they can process them more quickly as you did the electronic data entry for them, and as others mentioned they’re waiting on local sheriff to say no and the fpi to each say no.
Substantially less work for ATF.

Last edited:
Then how can they process Form 1's so quickly? Why not have the same procedure for all of them?

Because you've digitized it for them. Email isn't nearly as slow as shipping pallets of paperwork back and forth.

That is the idea. The form 4 e-file will do the same as the form 1, and cut out all the mail travel time and paper sitting in boxes.

Every time the issue comes up the ATF points at the FBI and says "they're slow turning around paperwork". Then the FBI points to the ATF and says "but they send us paper!"

3 Form 1’s this year, 3 weeks on all of them.
I’d bet that after 3-6 months that may be typical for F4’s.

Chevy Man, they can process them more quickly as you did the electronic data entry for them, and as others mentioned they’re waiting on local sheriff to say no and the fpi to each say no.
Substantially less work for ATF.

Local Leo is notification, not approval.

We'll be lucky if we're down to 3 weeks after 10 years of e-file. It's going to do the same as last time and crash the system.

Credit cards and 30 day turn around by 2023! 🤯

I have a tbac on order and it should hit my lgs by mid March. Would be really neat if I can e- file and the stamp didn't take a year.

Reactions: Baron23