• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors ATTN: WYOMING SUPRESSOR OWNERS!!! UPDATE 08/01/12

Re: ATTN: WYOMING SUPRESSOR OWNERS!!!!! UPDATE 3/9/12

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hk401</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is there any Class 3 dealer near Jackson Hole WY? i want to buy a suppressor but no class3 dealer around here, anybody know? </div></div>

Sent you a pm...

Re: ATTN: WYOMING SUPRESSOR OWNERS!!! UPDATE 08/01/12

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The draft would make the use of a suppressor a separate criminal offense if one was
1)to take a big or trophy game animal in a closed area or without a proper license;
2)wantonly waste a big or trophy game animal;
3)trespass upon private land and take a big or trophy game animal;
4)take a big or trophy game animal out of season.
</div></div>

Oklahoma attempted the same type of language last session when the hunting with suppressor bill went through but ours was more along the lines of "break the law while using a suppressor, get an extra ticket for using a suppressor, even if it's not used in the commission of the crime" For example, not wearing the right amount of blaze orange and hunting with a suppressor? Get two tickets. Luckily, the senator that introduced the bill wouldn't let it pass after the above language was added in the house and the bill was re-written to keep over zealous game wardens (who all openly hated the bill along with the O.D.W.C.) from going ticket crazy.
In the final bill as everyone read it, the suppressor is just part of the rifle like a scope or muzzle break, not something to attach an extra ticket to.

I would try my damnedest to have the language refined.

Re: ATTN: WYOMING SUPRESSOR OWNERS!!! UPDATE 08/01/12

Comments left. I tried to be polite and as diplomatic as I could, given all the BS some were spouting in the comments.

Zac, I left comment on the page as well as have contacted my Leg. and incouraging my shooting friends to do the same. Really hope we can get this passed this go round.

Seems the story has been pulled from the Casper Star website....convenient....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWILLIAMS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Really hope we can get this passed this go round. </div></div>

yup !

Re: ATTN: WYOMING SUPRESSOR OWNERS!!! UPDATE 01/11

Well, it's over for this year. It was voted down. The bill won't make it out of Committee.

This morning, the Travel Recreation and Wildlife committee heard testimony on the bill that WY Game & Fish wrote to allow for suppressor use in hunting.

Although the WY Game & Fish Administration was "officially" neutral on the bill, the Game Warden's Association testified in opposition, claiming the use of a supressor is a "poacher's dream". According to a person there whom I spoke with, the Warden's representative offered no testimony as to how many poachers he had interviewed to gain that bit of concrete knowledge.

Nor did he testify as to the difference between a law-abiding citizen who endured the time and expense of a background check to allow the ownership of a federally registered suppressor and the wanton criminal poacher that the Warden's apparently feel will run rampant across the state if the bill passes. In the (testifying) Warden's mind there is apparently no difference between the two, despite the fact that by definition one is a criminal and one is law-abiding. (I actually had a Warden tell me last year in a telephone conversation on the subject of suppressors that the background check was worthless. "You could wake up tomorrow and decide to poach." he told me. It seems, In the minds of our Game and Fish Wardens (at least the ones who testified, representing all the others) everyone is a poacher. I don't know how you feel about that but I'm not too pleased with being painted with that broad brush.)

The Warden's group representative offered up evidence of past poaching cases (that didn't involve the use of suppressors) and inferred that it would be much worse if the law was changed to allow their use. Apparently the majority of the Committee members were influenced by the testimony.

The opposition reminds one of the prognosticators who loudly proclaimed "blood in the streets " and "shootouts at traffic accidents" when WY was considering Concealed Carry with a Permit and again when WY was considering permitless concealed carry in the state for residents who didn't plan to carry outside the state. Neither predicted scenario has occurred as a result of allowing citizens to carry firearms, permitted or permitless, and I believe the crystal ball that the Warden's representative is using probably is as cloudy.

The state residents who wish to get this changed will have to get better organized and more vocal to seek the freedom to hunt / shoot in the state with suppressors. Because, according to a March 27, 2012 letter from the Chief Game Warden, "The legislative intent of the phrase "game fields and forests of Wyoming" is interpreted to mean any area in Wyoming <span style="font-weight: bold">where wildlife is or may be present." </span>(emphasis added)

He hasn't yet responded to my April 5, 2012 letter asking if ranges are exempt. See the following excerpt:

<span style="color: #FF0000">Your response has brought up two more examples. I’m again asking your indulgence for clarification.

Example 1: I’m at an established shooting range, shooting at paper targets with a taxed and registered silencer on my firearm. I have no intent to hunt or take any wildlife. While shooting, a cottontail rabbit (Small Game) shows itself within the confines of the closed and fenced range and begins eating grass. A Mourning Dove (Migratory Game Bird) flies over but does not land, looking for a place to take in gravel for its crop or get a drink of water from a puddle.

Example 2: I’m on my own unfenced private property in rural subdivision of Laramie County (or any County in Wyoming) and decide to test fire a taxed and registered silencer equipped firearm by shooting it into the ground. I have no intent to hunt or take wildlife. A jackrabbit (predator under state law) is on my acreage, sitting quietly by observing me. Nearby, a Red Fox (predator under state law) watches the Jackrabbit, thinking about making a meal of it.

Apparently, in both examples, by your agency’s strict interpretation of “legislative intent”, I would be in violation of established law and subject to arrest by a Game warden for a High Misdemeanor under state law, correct?

Please address these examples in your reply.</span>
With no official reply, for now we should surely be cautious about even shooting at an established range in our great state.

Shitty. Really thought it had a chance with all the other pro gun bills as of late.

What a truck load of shit!!!!! I would really like to get something like this started in Ohio. I have no idea of how to even begin. All of the political red tape BS would certainly get my blood boiling quick!!

Montana is similar. We love guns and state is all for them. But supressors are vodo. The Fish and Game hates them with a passion. I don't get it. Hope you get things change. People are trying hard here also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John in WYO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
This morning, the Travel Recreation and Wildlife committee heard testimony on the bill that WY Game & Fish wrote to allow for suppressor use in hunting.

Although the WY Game & Fish Administration was "officially" neutral on the bill, the Game Warden's Association testified in opposition, claiming the use of a supressor is a <span style="font-weight: bold">"poacher's dream". </span>According to a person there whom I spoke with, the Warden's representative offered no testimony as to how many poachers he had interviewed to gain that bit of concrete knowledge.</div></div>

I call bullshit on this.

First while it could assist a poacher by concealing muzzle blast what about the other half of the problem, The supersonic bullet. Hell thats a majority of the noise.

Here in CO we can hunt with them, my support flows north however

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: montana</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Montana is similar. We love guns and state is all for them. But supressors are vodo. The Fish and Game hates them with a passion. I don't get it. Hope you get things change. People are trying hard here also. </div></div>

Can't you guys at least hunt predators with them ??

it was a fight down here in Louisiana and we finally passed a law last year allowing suppressors for varmints. its a whole different battle for game animals. good luck to you guys eitherway

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_Hoff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it was a fight down here in Louisiana and we finally passed a law last year allowing suppressors for varmints. its a whole different battle for game animals. good luck to you guys eitherway</div></div>

Hell I would be happy with that as that's all I shoot! Who gives a shit if I use a can while shooting prairie dogs? What advantage am I going to gain? It's not like I am going to be poaching any as you can shot as many as you want 365 days a year. The state will even pay for half the cost to poison them and eradicate then from your land for fucks sake. Let me use my can on them and I'll save the State some money..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_Hoff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it was a fight down here in Louisiana and we finally passed a law last year allowing suppressors for varmints. its a whole different battle for game animals. good luck to you guys eitherway </div></div>

Has your state seen a massive increase in poaching centered around suppressor use?

That really BLOWS!!! had high hopes of it passing

Sounds like a case of the increasingly common warden complete with cranial rectal inversion.

Was any testimony from our side heard? Just a few facts can do a lot more than the "eyewitness" testimony our opponents cook up.

Wyoming Legislature Introduces Pro-Hunting Reform

Wyoming Senator Ogden Driskill (R-1) introduced a bill yesterday that would further expand the rights of hunters in the Cowboy State. Senate File 132 would repeal the state prohibition on hunting with sound suppressors (which are additionally regulated under federal law) while providing additional penalties for those who use them illegally.

An identical version of this legislation was introduced earlier in the state House as House Bill 5. However, the House Travel, Recreation, Wildlife and Cultural Resources Committee defeated it this week by a vote that was neither announced nor made public. Senator Driskill drafted this bill to accomplish what HB 5 was supposed to do before it was unfairly dismissed.

Currently, more than half of the states across the country allow hunters to use suppressors. Recently Arizona, Oklahoma and Texas adopted new rules allowing for use of suppressors when hunting game. It’s time that hunters in Wyoming are able to enjoy the same opportunities available to sportsmen in more than half of the country. For more information on firearms and suppressors, click here.

Noise complaints are being used more frequently as an excuse to close shooting ranges, informal shooting areas and hunting lands throughout the country. Increased use of suppressors will help to eliminate many of these complaints and protect hunting and shooting areas well into the future.

In order to acquire a suppressor, a purchaser must submit the appropriate paperwork to the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives where long wait times for approval are unfortunately common (four to six months). Also, purchasers must undergo a background check by the FBI, find a licensed dealer authorized to conduct the transaction and pay a one-time $200 tax for each device. While suppressors do not eliminate the sound of a firearm, they do reduce the muzzle report in a manner similar to the way that a muffler reduces exhaust noise from a vehicle. The benefits associated with suppressor use include increased accuracy due to reduced recoil and muzzle blast, protection from hearing damage and reduced noise pollution.

SF 132 has yet to be assigned to a Senate committee for further consideration. However, please call your Senator and urge him or him to support SF 132. Be sure to check NRA-ILA’s Wyoming page for more updates.

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/state-legislation.aspx?s=&st=10514

I just sent Barasso an informative email on the benefits of Suppressors, hoping it will at least debunk some of the myths.

I had heard that Sen. Driskill was going to introduce a bill, but it wasn't out as of noon today. Must have happened after lunch.

It looks like it may be back on for Wyoming, boys.

At least it could get a fair shot and a vote, rather than being shot down in committee by the Wardens Ass'n.

Just an absolute guess but most of ours laws go into affect July 1.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Varmint Slayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just an absolute guess but most of ours laws go into affect July 1. </div></div>

Damn, about 3 weeks too late...

Please Contact Committee Members and Urge Their Support!

Wyoming Senator Ogden Driskill (R-1) introduced a bill last week that would further expand the rights of hunters in the Cowboy State. Senate File 132 would repeal the state prohibition on hunting with sound suppressors (which are additionally regulated under federal law) while providing additional penalties for those who use them illegally. This legislation has been referred to the Senate Travel, Recreation, Wildlife and Cultural Resources Committee, and will be heard when they meet early tomorrow morning. Please call and email the Senators on the Committee and urge them to vote in favor of this meaningful hunting improvement legislation!

An identical version of this legislation was introduced earlier this month in the state House as House Bill 5. However, the House Travel, Recreation, Wildlife and Cultural Resources Committee defeated it this week by a vote that was neither announced nor made public. Senator Driskill drafted this bill to accomplish what HB 5 was supposed to do before it was unfairly dismissed.

Noise complaints are being used more frequently as an excuse to close shooting ranges, informal shooting areas and hunting lands throughout the country. Increased use of suppressors will help to eliminate many of these complaints and protect hunting and shooting areas well into the future. Currently, more than half of the states across the country allow hunters to use suppressors. Recently Arizona, Oklahoma and Texas adopted new rules allowing for use of suppressors when hunting game. It’s time that hunters in Wyoming are able to enjoy the same opportunities available to sportsmen in more than half of the country. For more information on firearms and suppressors, click here.

In order to acquire a suppressor, a purchaser must submit the appropriate paperwork to the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives where long wait times for approval are unfortunately common (four to six months). Also, purchasers must undergo a background check by the FBI, find a licensed dealer authorized to conduct the transaction and pay a one-time $200 tax for each device. While suppressors do not eliminate the sound of a firearm, they do reduce the muzzle report in a manner similar to the way that a muffler reduces exhaust noise from a vehicle. The benefits associated with suppressor use include increased accuracy due to reduced recoil and muzzle blast, protection from hearing damage and reduced noise pollution.

SF 132 has been assigned to the Travel, Recreation, Wildlife and Cultural Resources Committee where it will be heard early tomorrow morning after the Committee convenes at 8:00am. It is important that you contact the following committee members and urge him or her to support SF 132.

Senate Travel, Recreation, Wildlife and Cultural Resources Committee

Senator Bruce Burns (R-21), Chairman

(307) 672-6491

[email protected]

Senator Paul Barnard (R-15)

(307) 799-6480

[email protected]

Senator Leland Christensen (R-17)

[email protected]

Senator Bernadine Craft (D-12)

(307) 382-1607

[email protected]

Senator Ogden Driskill (R-1)

[email protected]

get on it guys. I'm an out of state shooter and if i can bring my can over the boarder it makes varmint hunting a pleasure.

write a quick email to all the above !! copy and paste if you must...

urge them to support SF 132 !!
grin.gif

Scott,

Mine was sent.

John

I request that you tactical comp shooters who wish to shoot in WY with a suppressor attached send an e-mail to the committee explaining what your sport is and why suppressor use is advantageous, as well as how current law prohibits the sporting use of a suppressor in these comps.
The Hide Cup was shot near Douglas last year if I remember correctly.
I would hate to see a competitor get hit with a $512.00 ticket for using a can. Worse, the current statute carries up to $10,000.00 and a year in a county jail.

Well the Senate passed the bill this morning.

There is still a lot of strong opposition so it's no where close to over.

Contact your House Representative http://legisweb.state.wy.us/LegislatorSummary/LegislatorList.aspx?strHouse=H&strStatus=N, and your Senator http://legisweb.state.wy.us/LegislatorSummary/LegislatorList.aspx?strHouse=S, let them know you support the bill. Have your friends and family do the same.

Here are the maps.
House http://redistricting.state.wy.us/planviewer/ViewPlan.aspx?plan=HEA%20number%208%20house
Senate http://redistricting.state.wy.us/planviewer/ViewPlan.aspx?plan=HEA%20number%208%20senate

Interesting Sendero man, i've been posting the exact same NRA/ILA excerpts over on LRH.
laugh.gif

Shane, you can bet they'll get an email showing my support.

t

The law does not ban suppressors in matches. It prohibits their use "in the game fields"-- which is left undefined. This is not legal advice and you should consult your own lawyer if you are not sure how to proceed, but I do not consider a sanctioned shooting match to be a "game field" by definition.

If you want to write something about it to them, I would recommend saying that the current law is vague and could be interpreted to prohibit them for legitimate target shooting.

like it has been said....

The Wyoming Senate Travel, Recreation, Wildlife and Cultural Resources Committee voted 4 to 1 in favor of a pro-hunting reform authored by Senator Ogden Driskill (R-1). Senate File 132 would repeal the state prohibition on hunting with sound suppressors (which are additionally regulated under federal law) while providing additional penalties for those who use them illegally. This bill is now eligible for a vote in the full Senate. A date for this Senate floor vote has not been scheduled at this time but please call and e-mail your state Senator urging him or her to vote in favor of this meaningful hunting improvement legislation!

Zak,

My lawyer said the way it is written basically sux ! laffin'

He said even if it is a target shoot, match, etc. and a Game warden or law enforcement rolled up and saw an antelope, deer, game animal in the area, you could be ticketed ! He said it is so vague, it is up to each individual officer and or prosecuting attorney in each county. basically like our concealed carry laws here too. He even mentioned the possibility of game animals at or near shooting ranges... RIDICULOUS !!

I cranked out some emails today, spread the word. Even if someone just does a one line email stating they support it is better then nothing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wyfox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cranked out some emails today, spread the word. Even if someone just does a one line email stating they support it is better then nothing.</div></div>

Yes!

Even if your out of state and would like to hunt Wyoming suppressed let them know. Out of state hunters bring money and that carries weight.

Zak,
You are correct. I mis-spoke (mis-typed?) when I said/inferred that the current law (specifically)bans suppressor use in matches. Thanks for pointing that out.

However, I'll quote the Chief Game Warden from a March 27, 2012 letter in which he replied to my question as to whether a "calving pasture" would be exempt from the current statute, as it definitely is not considered by me (like your opinion about a match) to be a "game field".

"The legislative intent of the phrase " game fields and forests of Wyoming" is interpreted to mean any area in Wyoming where wildlife is or may be present. Calving pastures would be considered game fields by this interpretation and the use of a silencer would not be legal."

I'll bet that you'd get the same response for a tactical match held in Wyoming on a private piece of ground where wildlife "is or may be present".

I asked for clarification on this very issue last May and have yet to receive an answer. So I choose to not take my cans to any range at this point. I don't feel like arguing the issue in court with the attendant costs of an attorney.

I sure hope we can get this changed. Shane was in the meeting and probably has a better handle on how the opposition is attacking the change.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So all we need is a gang to scare away all the animals while we're target shooting. Ok... </div></div>

Don't forget the chipmunks, too!

Sent out letters and all the emails I could. Gotta love the, "well, it really just depends on if I like you or not today" kinda answer.

With all the talk of what we can and can't do in WY with suppressed guns, check with your county attorney regarding case law and prosecutions in WY of people using suppressors. You will find out there isn't any. Most of the talk of "you can't do this or that or you will get fined" is just that, talk. Even if you are ticketed, your county attorney is the one who has discretion to prosecute or not. Just figure it this way: if you are doing the right thing and aren't a dick to LE, you will probably be let go. I agree that this is no way to expect to live in a free society, but that's the way it is. Challenge the LEO bugging you and I bet you will be the first guy to get a ticket for use of a suppressor "in the game fields and forests" of WY.
While you are at it, ask your county attorney what "game fields and forests" means. It is different than fields and forests.
But all this isn't to say that we don't need to change the laws here in WY. Have you written your emails yet?