• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Aus vs USA build price comparo

chopiesel

Private
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2010
Canberra, Aus
So I just put a gen4 w3 on my tikka. (Love it)

Thought I'd share what this thing has cost me in Aus $$$

I'm pretty sure you guys over there could do this for much less.

Tikka super varmint 7mm08 - $1480

HSS bolt knob & shroud - $130

EGW 20moa base - $90

KRG W3 - $1200

Weaver 6 hole tac rings - $120

Vortex PST FFP 6-24 - $990

Atlas bt-10 - $280

Accurate mag 10 shot - $90

Total $4380 au

Current conversion rate $ 4110 us

Would love to get a custom build done one day but for now I'm more than happy with this for something
Bolted together at home. It's plenty accurate enough for me!!!

Sorry for the shitty pic

e6asubur.jpg

Defineatly not many cheap options out there if your going to build a fully blown custom rifle.
Toni

That's the problem Toni this build (whilst a great set-up) isn't custom at all it's a factory rifle dropped into a chassis....

Most dealers over here screw us over because they know most won't go to the trouble of ordering from overseas/importing something themselves. For example the old model Accuracy international AX through a dealer would cost you $9-10 000 AUD if you imported one from the UK yourself $6000 and dealers can get them even cheaper than that but most don't import things themselves and buy through NIOA who jack the price up on EVERYTHING I don't care what anyone says there is NO reason for a $3-4000 mark up on a single rifle.

There are a couple of guys in AUS that will build you a nice custom stick for a reasonable cost but as has already been stated sometimes going overseas can be cheaper, I was in the process of deciding which AI to get from the UK when one popped up second hand for a great price so I jumped on that instead, down the track when I get and AT or AX I will be ordering it myself from the UK

Well Chopiesl & SNAFU308 let me know with PM what your after I have made some great friends & contacts in the US
As we speak I'm getting my B709 & B709a organised.
Have found an exporter in the US so am getting paperwork & getting actions etc ready to go.
I'm happy to add some to the list if your keen

That's the problem Toni this build (whilst a great set-up) isn't custom at all it's a factory rifle dropped into a chassis....

Most dealers over here screw us over because they know most won't go to the trouble of ordering from overseas/importing something themselves. For example the old model Accuracy international AX through a dealer would cost you $9-10 000 AUD if you imported one from the UK yourself $6000 and dealers can get them even cheaper than that but most don't import things themselves and buy through NIOA who jack the price up on EVERYTHING I don't care what anyone says there is NO reason for a $3-4000 mark up on a single rifle.

There are a couple of guys in AUS that will build you a nice custom stick for a reasonable cost but as has already been stated sometimes going overseas can be cheaper, I was in the process of deciding which AI to get from the UK when one popped up second hand for a great price so I jumped on that instead, down the track when I get and AT or AX I will be ordering it myself from the UK

Time to go in to business for yourself and undercut the competition.

Finding the gear I is one thing, the other things to consider to
Finding a exporter
Fees that he charges
Shipping fees
Taxes on the bits when it hits our shore
The exporter has to make a bit to he has got to put good on his table.
Toni

Think you're taking a fairly simplistic view on it Snafu. Yes NIOA must make big margins but there is also a few other differences that go beyond those guys.

The market in the USA is almost infinitely bigger than the market in Australia. We have more red tape and regulative measures to prevent firearm ownership. This alone reduces the size of the market significantly. Per capita we have no where near as many firearm owners as the states.

Freight, duties, wages, overheads are much higher here. We are the most isolated country in the world (from a distance perspective). We have higher costs of living and higher wages accordingly. Looking at for example, a Tikka T3. Locally a Varmint runs at about $1,350 AUD. The same gun costs USD 810 or $862 AUD for comparison sake. Average wage in Australia is higher too.

Just my few cents mate.

I think to a degree it's a numbers game the US market is huge compared to ours & yes costs are much lower.
Still no harm in trying to get our gear at a decent price hey Andy.
Toni