• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Avoid I-40 E in Arkansas

Sandhog308

Petty Officer of the Hide
Minuteman
  • May 14, 2020
    Between the Ozark and Ouachitas
    There was a multi vehicle cluster fuck late yesterday between Little Rock & Memphis. Basically both E and W directions are SHUT DOWN. Many have been stuck and/or stranded for 16 hrs so far. Avoid that stretch of I -40 if possible. Friend of mind that drives for a major trucking business hasn’t moved his rig 10 yards since the collisions occurred.👎
    Even a State Trooper with lights flashing got hit. There’s a 30 mile stretch where there was over 25 different crashes.

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
    That stretch of interstate SUCKS on a good day. When I drove to North Carolina several years back, I took I-20 East to Birmingham, just to avoid the interstate between Little Rock and Memphis.
    You got that right ! Once you exit LR heading E , its a whole different road. The local news says both E & W lanes are backed up over 15 miles. Temps are in the mid teens. Bet there’s some hungry folks that need a head break most Ricky Tick.🙈

That stretch of interstate SUCKS on a good day. When I drove to North Carolina several years back, I took I-20 East to Birmingham, just to avoid the interstate between Little Rock and Memphis.
    Smart move. Better highway, better scenery. And thats with all the improvements. You may hate Clinton but when he was governor the highway got a lot better in Ark. Used to be constant construction. We'd joke "Its because all the roads in Ark. are made out of pork."

Hasn’t that stretch been under constant construction since around 1998 or so? I swear it seems like that

Not sure, but every time I drive it, 3/4 of the vehicles on it are trucks, and the near stand still line just to get into Memphis is usually two hours or more.
    I was stationed at Ft. Campbell in the late 90s and when I would drive back home to western arkansas, it was under construction starting at the state line on 40. The last time I drove from NC to AR, that same stretch was still being worked on. Maybe I’m just lucky and catch the repair cycle like clockwork. Next time, I’m gonna take the southern route and see some fresh scenery

I was stationed at Ft. Campbell in the late 90s and when I would drive back home to western arkansas, it was under construction starting at the state line on 40. The last time I drove from NC to AR, that same stretch was still being worked on. Maybe I’m just lucky and catch the repair cycle like clockwork. Next time, I’m gonna take the southern route and see some fresh scenery
    That stretch of I-40 has always been under construction somewhere. 👎 Arkansas Highway Dept don’t get in no hurries ...period ! They called out the Guard to assist where they are REALLY needed.
    Troopers were going car to car or truck to truck waking people up earlier. Bad place to be , especially when stranded in a big rig without adequate supplies. Or a old fart with a active bladder 😳

There was a multi vehicle cluster fuck late yesterday between Little Rock & Memphis. Basically both E and W directions are SHUT DOWN. Many have been stuck and/or stranded for 16 hrs so far. Avoid that stretch of I -40 if possible. Friend of mind that drives for a major trucking business hasn’t moved his rig 10 yards since the collisions occurred.👎
    Even a State Trooper with lights flashing got hit. There’s a 30 mile stretch where there was over 25 different crashes.
    IIRC, that same stretch was a total CF back in the 2000 ice/storm storm as well. I-40 from MEM to LIT needs to be 3 or 4 lanes wide. I hate driving that road...hate it. Not to mention it's boring as hell.

Reactions: Sandhog308
    It cracks me up that art 40 literally from Nashville till you get to Memphis it is 2 lanes each way. It Doesn’t take more than a fender bender and it is shut down. And the exits are far and few in between. Tractor trailers too, fuck up the 2 lanes with the passing that literally them 20 minutes to pass another tractor trailer. For such a main artery rt 40 really needs to be widened.

It cracks me up that art 40 literally from Nashville till you get to Memphis it is 2 lanes each way. It Doesn’t take more than a fender bender and it is shut down. And the exits are far and few in between. Tractor trailers too, fuck up the 2 lanes with the passing that literally them 20 minutes to pass another tractor trailer. For such a main artery rt 40 really needs to be widened.
    Yeah, I-40 from Nashville to Fort Smith is a disaster. The tractor trailers passing on the flat ground that take them about 5 miles to accomplish are either a result of a lot of these drivers perhaps being assholes, perhaps are governed by the GPS monitor, or what have you. It really needs to be ticketed. I'll fess up...I've obliterated the speed limit a few times seeing the situation about to pan out where one truck in a "convoy" decides he's going to pass - and that seriously can be 20 miles. I just want to get away from that shit...talk about dangerous. If pulled over, well, I'll just have to face the consequences but I'm not getting behind a convoy of trucks driving under the speed limit (of course Arkansas has the uneven speed limit I think) - especially the dual trailer types that sway so badly. EVERYBODY loses their cool behind that crap.

I was following one of these convoys once from LR to MEM and it was raining. Whilst I was too close to the truck from my perspective, the girl behind me in her Sonata was so close to me I could only see her head (nose up), no hood, no bottom windshield and she was hell bent on sticking that close. she was not making a point that I needed to get over (couldn't...another 18 wheel right beside me) - she was just glued. Then behind her...same thing.

I-40 has to be one of the most dangerous highways in US.

A state trooper told me apparently beneath the road is very thick concrete so the US could roll tanks down there to the Texas area in a hurry if need be. rt 40 is the main artery from Tx up towards Va. so simply widening the road is not that easy.

I-40 in Arkansas is an idiot magnet. Once you get through Memphis going East or Russellville going West it gets much better. Even the non-residents driving I-40 turn full retard when the cross into Arkansas. I-30 is even worse!

A state trooper told me apparently beneath the road is very thick concrete so the US could roll tanks down there to the Texas area in a hurry if need be. rt 40 is the main artery from Tx up towards Va. so simply widening the road is not that easy.
    All original US interstates had the same spec I believe. Besides, state trooper is wrong. I-40 does not go to Texas except to Amarillo. Besides, there is no way that stretch between Arkadelphia and Hope could possibly have ever been extra thick because that's frankly the worst stretch of highway I've ever been on. Actually most of Arkansas roads are like that...but I-40 and I-30 have had the expansion joints fail or something and every "slab" is at a different slope causing car to go nuts if driving in right lane.

The real problem with widening it is MONEY. Not only to actually build it but to acquire the necessary land to do so.

I-40 in Arkansas is an idiot magnet. Once you get through Memphis going East or Russellville going West it gets much better. Even the non-residents driving I-40 turn full retard when the cross into Arkansas. I-30 is even worse!
    You could have just left out the "I-40 in" and you'd have been more correct. State is consistently, in almost every rating, 47-50th in US. And yes...I'm a native....but good riddance. Only thing they have going for them IMO is that they have good gun laws and formerly great duck hunting (not what it used to be from what I hear).

There are a few stretches of I-40 that aren’t that bad ...Ft Smith to LR isn’t bad most of the time. Roads aren’t as bad , Not as much volume it seems....Also , it seems to be patrolled more than past LR towards Memphis. Hear one lane was still shut down around Brinkley.....NEED a multi lane I-40 from at least LR heading E. The Highway Dept has the Eminent domain stuff done pat !
    They have O problem taking your land.😖

There are a few stretches of I-40 that aren’t that bad ...Ft Smith to LR isn’t bad most of the time. Roads aren’t as bad , Not as much volume it seems....Also , it seems to be patrolled more than past LR towards Memphis. Hear one lane was still shut down around Brinkley.....NEED a multi lane I-40 from at least LR heading E. The Highway Dept has the Eminent domain stuff done pat !
    They have O problem taking your land.😖
    Been a long time (since university days) I've driven Fort Smith/Van Buren to Little Rock. That's actually a pretty drive; and once past Conway it's smooth sailing. Most trucks I think take I-30 to DFW. But that MEM to LR has been bad since I was a child (when it was still 75mph and little safety equipment). They've finally decided to fix and work on that stretch between MEM and midway to Forrest City. THAT stretch probably would have been smoother had they just carpet bombed from a B-52.

Long time ago there was a grand plan to make 4 lanes from T-Town to Bentonville, Hot Springs to Russellville, Hot Springs to Little Rock (done after Mayor's kid got killed - sad that is what it took) and I believe even Harrison to Fayetteville/Chickendale. But, that required a 10c a gallon gas tax back in 1980's early 90s....and as you may recall...that went nowhere. Highway 7 is one of the most fun roads in the USA, and with a little shoulder it would be THE most fun. Sadly, one mistake on that road and you die. Same with Hwy 16/23 (aka Pig Trail) - though Hwy 7 from HS to Russellville is seriously hard core pro-race hill-climb level road.

I live on Hwy 7 on the Arkansas River. All those roads are my stomping grounds. I’ve lived in Hot Springs and Fayetteville. Spend lots of time on the Buffalo.
    Ever shoot through holler 👍

Reactions: BytorJr
    Cluster fuck seems like an understatement.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210218-150326.png
      Screenshot_20210218-150326.png
      557.9 KB · Views: 43
    I live on Hwy 7 on the Arkansas River. All those roads are my stomping grounds. I’ve lived in Hot Springs and Fayetteville. Spend lots of time on the Buffalo.
    The Buffalo makes some good kayak and canoe times. The Ouachita does equally as well.
    2916F7E9-DCB3-41E1-B06C-782783CCCA47.jpeg

Drove from Shell Knob, MO to Hot Springs via Hwy 7 last summer on family vacation. Fun drive, not a lot of traffic, lots of nice vistas. On the way to MO, we crossed the top of AR via Hwy 63, 62, & 412. I think we may have traversed more two lane highway than interstate....

I-40 east bound to Memphis going home was indeed a horrible drive in the rain.

You missed the Caddo. I've only done Ouachita and Caddo as a kid. Never did Buffalo - crying shame.
    Used to swim in the Caddo up around Norman all the time. Our family cemetery is not far from there.

Had a few wild trips on the Cossatot near Mena ! Got in over my head , literally !
    Went from fun to dangerous really quick.
    Sheeps Den on the Cossatot is a wild ride some days. I grew up riding those rapids and jumping off the rock face at the end of the run. Seen that “little” river tear up some stuff real fast with a little bit of rain as well.

The Cossatot can be a beast on occasions. The last few times I‘be been there , pretty much didn’t see anyone else. Good one way , Bad if you get hurt !
    Really a beautiful part of the state 👍