• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

B&C medalist A5

[email protected]

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2012
Rochester, NY
Sorry, I know ive asked a million times but will the b&c medalist a5 stock fit properly on my remington 700 model adl with a sporter barel? I plan to buy a DBM to fit in the bottom as well. thanks in advance

Re: B&C medalist A5

Why would you wanna BR stock for a pencil brrl? They make some nice stocks for the sporter barrels. Gonna be tough to get 10-15 shot strings with that small barrel, before it heats up, and starts scattering, but it would make a nice lil hunting rifle. I toted my 243 SPS Varmint w/BC light Varmint, and was killed. My 5R w/ 20" feels much better to hunt with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: x SNIPER x</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry, I know ive asked a million times but will the b&c medalist a5 stock fit properly on my remington 700 model adl with a sporter barel? I plan to buy a DBM to fit in the bottom as well. thanks in advance </div></div>

What are your plans for the rifle? I had one for a few years, it was a very good stock but it flexed when shooting off the bipod. Not that it hurt the groups any.

If you are going to build a tactical rifle and plan to put a heavy barrel on your 700 soon I would say this is an O.K. plan. But IMO if you are going to buy a stock then add a DBM you would be much better served buying a nice used AICS 1.5 for $600 or so and re-barreling with a quality tube with a heavier profile. A 22"-24" MTU would be a perfect match with a high quality base, rings and scope. It really just depends on what you plan to do with the rifle.

The AICS 1.5 chassis pop up here on the Hide all the time. I think I saw one a couple days ago with a bipod for $675 which is a very fair deal.

HTH!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: x SNIPER x</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry, I know ive asked a million times but will the b&c medalist a5 stock fit properly on my remington 700 model adl with a sporter barel? I plan to buy a DBM to fit in the bottom as well. thanks in advance </div></div>

What are your plans for the rifle? I had one for a few years, it was a very good stock but it flexed when shooting off the bipod. Not that it hurt the groups any.

If you are going to build a tactical rifle and plan to put a heavy barrel on your 700 soon I would say this is an O.K. plan. But IMO if you are going to buy a stock then add a DBM you would be much better served buying a nice used AICS 1.5 for $600 or so and re-barreling with a quality tube with a heavier profile. A 22"-24" MTU would be a perfect match with a high quality base, rings and scope. It really just depends on what you plan to do with the rifle.

The AICS 1.5 chassis pop up here on the Hide all the time. I think I saw one a couple days ago with a bipod for $675 which is a very fair deal.

HTH!

</div></div>

your B&C flexed? i shoot from the prone all the time and have never had that problem. under what conditions did this happen? I just want to test my stock out under the same conditions to insure mine is not flexing. might want to test my cousins rifle and a few friends as well who use the same stock. would love to know more about this because i was planning on building a few stevens 200s and using the B&C medallist stocks on them.

I have owned a cpl BC stocks, and have found them to be very rigid. I have yet to see much flex if any with my BC light varmint. However all my hsp's flex a little, I can literally grab the forearm and barrel and squeeze them. I even have one cut out a bit to fit a HV Hart and it flexes some, but it's a BR rig, and it still drives tacks. I love my hsp's and my bc's, would love to have a chasis but a thumbhole just feels terrible to me, and $675 will get a sweet mcm and pillar bed it as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike0341</div><div class="ubbcode-body">your B&C flexed? i shoot from the prone all the time and have never had that problem. under what conditions did this happen? I just want to test my stock out under the same conditions to insure mine is not flexing. might want to test my cousins rifle and a few friends as well who use the same stock. would love to know more about this because i was planning on building a few stevens 200s and using the B&C medallist stocks on them. </div></div>

Yes my B&C Medalist Varmint/Tactical flexed the forend when loaded with the bipod. I had always noticed something was moving around but I never nailed it down. The flex was seen by my brother one day too so I started to play with the stock and found the forend indeed was flexing slightly when loaded. It was just a very small amount of flex in the part of the stock forward of the alloy chassis and did not seem to change the way the rifle grouped. But it was there and it bugged me.

Then I came across a good deal on a 5R in an AICS 1.5 chassis and jumped at it. The AICS has ZERO flex, I would think the AICS has much less flex than any conventional wood or composite stock without a full length metal chassis bonded into it.

HTH!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: groundhogbuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have owned a cpl BC stocks, and have found them to be very rigid. I have yet to see much flex if any with my BC light varmint. However all my hsp's flex a little, I can literally grab the forearm and barrel and squeeze them. I even have one cut out a bit to fit a HV Hart and it flexes some, but it's a BR rig, and it still drives tacks. I love my hsp's and my bc's, would love to have a chasis but a thumbhole just feels terrible to me, and $675 will get a sweet mcm and pillar bed it as well. </div></div>

Prior to the AICS chassis I never shot a thumbhole stock I liked or could adjust to give me a good comfortable fit and the grips on most thumbholes are all too horizontal more like a hunting rig. So when I bought a clean nearly unused 5R milspec in an AICS chassis I was all set to hate the (IMO) funny looking AICS chassis and order up a full boat McMillan Adjustable A3-5 and dump the AICS chassis on some Hider who likes them.

I had also read about people having issues with scope height and poor cheek weld and less than optimum sight picture. So when I received the 5R/AICS I took the time to carefully measure the chassis and found the right ring height for my 34mm tubed 5-25x56 Premier Heritage scope using the usual Seekins base and rings. The result was perfect optical alignment and mechanical body fit with very minor chassis adjustment.

Off to the range I went and after zeroing at 100 yards and shooting a bit my 600 yard range became way too short to really challenge me or the rifle using my standard 168g A-MAX loads. So shooting past the steel I was just under 1,000 yards and was nailing our usual 4", 6" and 8" rocks we normally use as targets past 600 yards. As you can imagine I am now a big fan of the AICS chassis setup now. I still think they look funny but I no longer care.

BTW there is a nice used AICS 1.5 for $600 in the options and accessory forum. You cannot even get close to a comparably equipped fully adjustable McMillan stock for that kind of money.

HTH!

went and best with my B&C A5 and didn't notice any flex. i was actually thinking of getting the varmint stock for the stevens build ill be doing and now ill be thinking otherwise. i have a buddy with an A2 style stock and called him up and he checked his and he isn't having any problems. i guess the varmint stock is a thinner design so ill be staying away from that one.

If you're preloading you bipod with such force that its causing a Medalist stock to flex?...... well....... Are you nailing your bipod to the bench or if prone, do you have 6" spikes for feet? Just wondering.
smile.gif

Okie

It added a good bit of weight to my 700 but well worth it in my opinion.

I don't load my bipod that much, especially for the recoil I get with the Brake. It feels like a light 243 load, and I'm very used to free recoil from my BR days. I haven't seen a Harris with factory feet that will dig in that much to flex it.
The Varmint isn't thin in the front for sure, I think it;s weight is the same as the non adj, A5. The only reason I didn't get the A5 is the ugly wide front forearm, and bipod shifting around. I think it's more for shooting off bags, the Varmint was perfect for my build, as the butthook serves very good to tweak any movement, and it's still beefier than the hsps

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike0341</div><div class="ubbcode-body">went and best with my B&C A5 and didn't notice any flex. i was actually thinking of getting the varmint stock for the stevens build ill be doing and now ill be thinking otherwise. i have a buddy with an A2 style stock and called him up and he checked his and he isn't having any problems. i guess the varmint stock is a thinner design so ill be staying away from that one. </div></div>

The B&C Medalist I had was the fully adjustable Varmint/Tactical A5 style stock which was very comfortable to shoot as it could be adjusted in every important way. The problem with flex was seen when I was adjusting to get good natural position with the target. The stock would flex side to side as I adjusted with the bipod loaded slightly. I think the problem is that the machined alloy bedding chassis stops at the lug with no reinforcement or extra material at the transition and does not continue to the rail for the bipod. So the flex is all in the forend and visible in the barrel channel with the bipod loaded and me adjusting side to side. It appears that the barrel channel width changes as I was adjusting my point of aim. Like I said it made no difference on paper or anything else as that old varmint barreled 700 BDL action was a laser in that stock.

HTH!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: groundhogbuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Here's a thread on the hide that shows the length of the bedding block.
https://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2442000
Or to give people a shortcut here's the pic, but the thread is a good read
BCBEDDINGBLOCK.jpg
</div></div>

That is not how my B&C Medalist Varmint/Tactical adjustable A5 stock's chassis looked. The front rail was sitting in a molded or milled out section of the forend (could not tell because it was sprayed stock color) and used spiked T-Nuts to secure the rail to the forend. You could see where the alloy bedding block ended in the stock at the lug because I sanded off the overspray from the alloy chassis trying to get better holding mating surfaces.

HTH!

All Medalists stocks (that I know of) have that chassis. As you can see in the pic, it is much deeper in the stock once you get to the barrel channel. You would have to sand though 1/8" of materieal to get to where you would see aluminum, its not just painted over. If someone sold you a Medalist stock that dosn't have that chassis, you should get your money back.

okie

I have a B&C A2 stock and I can tell you that the aluminum bedding block definitely extends all the way to the swivel stud on the forearm. Kinda makes it a bitch to drill for flush cups on the side of the forearm.

I have the M40A1 style stock (not sure which A? that is), and also the one that is more like an M40A3. They will both flex a little with quite a bit of force. The M40A3ish one has a large barrel channel so it doesn't even come close...the M40A1ish one is a lot closer and will almost touch but I don't think it does. It doesn't seem to shoot as well in my M40A1ish one...but I also added the Wyatt DBM at the same time so I'm not sure what is the root of the problem.

I dont really have the money for a new barrel and everything especially since im also planning to buy another 700 cahmbered in .243. I shoot ever now and then but not enough to wear out the barrel anytime soon when i have the money in a couple of years i may buy a heaviry 20" barel

Why bother putting a sporter barrel in a upgraded stock? I have the B&C A5 on my 700 varmint and glass bedded it just to make it real snug. I love this stock over a friend's AICS. I just wish I had DBM, but then again I couldn't run my handloads in a AIDS mag. I would suggest putting that ADL in a nice wood stock with a barrel channel meant for the thinner profile barrel and make a showpiece out of it. Go buy a 700 with a heavier barrel and then upgrade the stock.