• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Back in the Boneyard again.

hofhine1

"I have issues"
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2005
TUCSON AZ
I went over to the boneyard to get a piece of a B-52 the other day and I just had to show some pics......

DSCN1065_zps713380ee.jpg

Tailgunner basically has his own version of a cockpit, including shitter, shown in the foreground, sorry for the crappy pics, I still have my ten year old camera.

DSCN1066_zps3dc28d7e.jpg

Once you are all the way in, the seat pulls up behind you, and you would basically be trapped inside, although the guys told me there was some ingenious way out, and that had a rope involved. The rope is on the left.

DSCN1067_zps824d0bc2.jpg

Here are the controls for the turret, and the viewer is attached to the turret, so as you move the turret so moves the field you see in the 'monitor' for lack of a better word.

The guys a AMARG have had 26 years to steal parts off if this, sorry for it's condition.

DSCN1069_zps97e963ae.jpg

And the only reason I even wanted to put up a picture in the first place.

DSCN1068_zps751d0dad.jpg

An airplane with an ashtray!!

You gotta love that shit!

They also just scammed the 6 from the early A model Hornets the Blue Angels flew. It's nothing but beautiful.

DSCN1078_zps77f08ab0.jpg

If you are in Tucson, this place is the shit, old and young alike.

sean

Last edited:
I've seen a few fly. But that's the first time I've seen inside a B-52. Thanks for sharing the photos with us. I, for one, really appreciate it.

I actually visited this boneyard while I was on spring break a few weeks ago. We had an off day from baseball and took the tour through the pima air and apace museum. Basically you sit on a greyhound and drive through the boneyard. AWESOME experience. Would do it again and again. Lotta history in that place.

It's actually very controlled as for access now, (the Boneyard), I get in and out because I go and get a bunch of stuff for Pima Air and Space Museum, and have hauled some pretty cool stuff out of there, and we have put a bunch of machines and equipment in the aircraft regen shop.

In a brief moment of sobriety I forgot to mention the B-52 tail and the Hornet are now over at Pima Air and Space Museum, right on the south side of DM.

Last time I was over there I got this out, it's damn near perfect, should be a year or so and it will be out on the display line....

IMG-20120718-00321_zps46aa3164.jpg

Took this out of one of the storage yards on the side of the base to a private race track over by Willcox back in '10.

NewImage_zpse744aa23.jpg

Kinda get to see something cool sometimes, this is one of the jewels still at the boneyard, it was some experiment in plasma/high energy/shoot down missiles and shit from the late 1990's, I met some guys at Kirkland that were working on this project with a 707 class plane, and they had said they were moving to a 747 or DC-10/L-1011 class plane to carry the amount of energy storage the program required.

Now I get to see it, and it's already in the dirt.

IMG-20120718-00320_zps89aea82b.jpg

sean