• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Badger scope ring with Sightron scope question

BeerAlchemist

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2009
WA
Pardon my newbness, spent many years behind pistols, shotguns, and AR's; however, never dealt with bolt actions or long range shooting until now and am rapidly finding out there is much for me to learn in the ways of the long gun. So for my first post on the Sniper's Hide...

I recently picked up a new Rem 700 with a badger 20 MOA rail already installed and a used Sightron SII 6-24x42 scope, but alas, no rings. I want to match with Badger rings. I plan to eventually pick up a Sightron SIII 6-24x50 down the road. So, I need to know what ring combined with the 20 MOA will provide enough clearance for the SIII. Ring heights are: medium .885", med hi 1", and hi 1.125". The SIII outside objective diameter is 2.28".

BTW, good to be here, it looks like a good forum.

Re: Badger scope ring with Sightron scope question

The barrel contour would factor in if you are trying to mount low. But if it were me and I were planning to get a 50 mm obj soon, I would only buy rings once.

Its a SPS varmint if that helps out more. The plan is to get the lowest rings possible for the 50mm and then use the ring reducer to work with the 42mm's 1" tube so that I only need one set of rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beer Alchemist</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its a SPS varmint if that helps out more. The plan is to get the lowest rings possible for the 50mm and then use the ring reducer to work with the 42mm's 1" tube so that I only need one set of rings. </div></div>

Beer,

Two ways to figure the rings height: SWAG or Silly Putty

SWAG: Scope bell outside diameter = 2.28": Take 1/2 of that = 1.14"

Take 1.14" and SUBTRACT the height of the Badger Base = Ring height needed. This method does not take in the curve of the barrel.

Silly Putty: Badger gives you two measurements for their rings: Height "A" from the center of the scope to the bottom of the ring. And Height "B" is for the bottom of the scope to bottom of the rings. You will need height "B".

Buy some Silly Putty or steal some from your children. Put a gob of (about 1/2" or so) of silly putty on the Badger bases in the location of where you would place the front and rear ring.

Place scope on the silly putty. Level scope buy pushing down on the scope in the putty. Putty will displace. When your front bell is just clear of the barrel, measure from the top of the Badger base to bottom of the scope just aft of your front putty blob. Find the Best "B" fit.

Clean up the mess you made. Patent pending.....
grin.gif

Bob

Thanks Bob,
That was enough to get me thinking in a new direction (ie about measurment B instead of A). Since the 50mm is forthcoming I can't do the silly puddy thing. Instead I took the difference between the tube diameter and the scope bell and then divided that by 2 (2.28-1.18/2=.55). That tells me that the scope bell will drop .55" below the scope tube and thus the bottom of the ring where the measurment B comes into play. With that knowledge I can take a sqare from the rail mount and measure the total drop between the rail and barrel contour then subtract that total from the .55" bell drop and then have the minimum ring height to clear...assuming the bell clears the countour near the breach. Is my reasoning sound?

Beer,

Yes that would work also...But you can still use the patented Silly Putty method if you feel like it: You have a SII 42mm with AO is 2.15" vs 2.28", just allow for half of the extra .13" in objective diameter .......

Bob

I would go with the med.
I have a SPS Tact with a Sightron SIII 6-24X50, badger med rings, and badger 20moa base.
P1010534.jpg

I think we have a winner medium rings it is. Thanks everyone, I got an answer without having to work while learning how to accomplish the task for the future at the same time. I got fed fish while being taught how to fish.