• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Baking Duracoat on Optics?

(/?/?)NickZ*

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2011
SW Florida
I just got my duracoat camo-packs and am getting ready to spray some of my bolt guns. What precautions do you guys take when baking duracoated scopes? Can the heat harm your optics in any way? Any input is appreciated.

Re: Baking Duracoat on Optics?

You don't need to bake it. I've duracoated tons of stuff, never baked any of it and it's as hard as a rock.

Proper prep of the surface and ratio of hardener is more important.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lofty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You don't need to bake it. I've duracoated tons of stuff, never baked any of it and it's as hard as a rock.

Proper prep of the surface and ratio of hardener is more important. </div></div>

+1 I also have duracoated lots of stuff and as far as the instructions say, baking will only speed up the hardening process. It won't make anything harder than just regular air drying. NEVER put scopes in the oven for baking. That would be a really bad idea!!!

Thanks for the replies, I should have been more specific. I am talking about durabake here. I am using normal duracoat for the camo patterns, but I am using durabake on a few things like the bolt knob, handle, and optics/ turrets so they can be touched up later. I'm going with winter twig and the durabake will be white, I just don't want any black peeking through on the turrets or bolt knob after I handle it for awhile. Should I just hit the optics with the regular white duracoat and touch up with the durabake as necessary?

I don't know how hot you are supposed to bake the durabrake but keep in mind that the scope caps are usually aluminum. If I remember correctly I once saw a post where a gentleman was baking a aluminum part(trigger guard) after some sort of spray coat and it was completely deformed due to the heat. I'd do some research before baking the caps unless the required temp is pretty low. Good luck either way and let us know how it turns out.

Well. It states 3 hours at 180 degrees I just hope that someone will chime in and tell me yes or no. 180 degrees dosent seem very hot and I'm sure a few of my optics have seen temps like that in my car in the Florida sun. Still unsure. I contacted someone at leupold today just to get an opinion and they just said that any un-due stress on their optics isn't healthy for them and that they could never advise me that putting my scope in the oven couldn't result in problems.

If you're dead set about baking that scope, I'd call the coating manufacturer and see if there is an extended cure time at a lower temperature (such as overnight at 120 degrees).

I'd never bake an optic personally, but I think even 180 degrees would be pushing it.

Both USO and Premier test their scopes to 140 F for 1 hour. Beyond that more than likely voids any warranty and will not be good. If it can't be done with a low temperature than I'd recommend sticking to an air cure.

I'm still not understanding why you want to use durabake over regular duracoat.

I would be too worried about ruining your optics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tpowers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Both USO and Premier test their scopes to 140 F for 1 hour. Beyond that more than likely voids any warranty and will not be good. If it can't be done with a low temperature than I'd recommend sticking to an air cure. </div></div>

Thank you. This is what I was looking for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lofty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm still not understanding why you want to use durabake over regular duracoat.

I would be too worried about ruining your optics. </div></div>

I am using durabake on the bolt knob, handle, triggerguard, and was going to on the optics, so they could be touched up with a matching color after handling in the field. A white based camp job is useless if your bolt knob and elevation turret wear thru to black and a coyote picks up movement. It might not seem like a big deal but when your rifle has the only spot of black in a white winter wonderland, the Sharp eyes of a coyote will pick that up in an instant.

So how do you hide the objective lens from a coyote? Paint an ARD white too?

I paint a lot of guns. I essentially do it semi-professionally. There is absolutely no reason to bake an optic which you have painted with Duracoat. As other have said, all it does it speed up the curing process a little. Frankly, it's cured about the same in about a week.

A yote is not going to pick up a little black on your gun unless he's within 50 yards, and he'd better be dead by then. I wouldn't worry too much about the little stuff.

You can also consider Cerakote's air cure finish for your optics as well.