• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bank account breached

SniperCJ

Sky God
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2001
Dallas,TX
I hate those slimy little bastards!

LineStretch is FINALLY operating in the black and Susan looked at the account and saw that someone had made a couple of fraudulent charges on the account bringing the balance to -$160!

Called B of A and it will all be taken care of but we wont get the money back will the charge clears and they file the dispute (48 hrs of so.

F%ck those f%cking f%ckers!!!

Re: Bank account breached

Nuke the bastages....

Sorry to hear that buddy, and the best I can say at the moment, is that it seems that you're heading this off at the Pass.

Sorry to hear about that. I am dealing with the same thing. Over $1200 out of my account in the last 15 days. Had to move everything to a new account and i'm not sure if I will get any of mine back. Sux! Good luck with yours.T

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ranger70</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any leads to were the dollars went???? </div></div>

Some kinda .com out of New Jersey

Do you ever use your debit card for online purchases?

I try to only use CC for online stuff as well as transactions where your card leaves you (restaurants). Debit cards are good to use at the ATM and the store where you swipe and enter the code. Using the debit card for online stuff is asking for trouble.

Now, make sure nothing else is going to bounce while you're short. This gets you late charges from the mortgage company, power company, etc....and racks up extra overdrafts from the bank. They will get your money back, but you're likely on your own for the extra overdraft charges if there are any.

Also, at the very least get a new debit card, better yet would be to close the whole account and open a new one.

Since this is our business account I dont have to worry about mortgage and stuff like that. Good thing there.

We do online purchases from our vendors, but few small purchases.

The card, which of course we still have, is shreaded and a new card issued. BoA is supposed to 'monitor' the account for 10 days for other action.

Fortunately there were only 2 small purchases outstanding and I had just made a deposit which probably caught those two

Our bank account got nailed once and that was all it took for us to make some changes. We opened a second account that we use for online purchases and bill pay. We simply transfer the amounts from our main account to the secondary to cover what is spent. We do not use our debit cards from our main account. With account access available from computer and phone it is simple to transfer funds anytime. Small inconvienence for the security of not getting our account breached.

There is an excellent source that goes through every thing you need to do to protect yourself now - google "when bad things happen to a good name", its about a 38 page download from the gov't. with all the letter formats, who to contact, records to keep etc. Free & well worth it. And your not along - I just found out "I" have a 900/mo lease from "Classic Cars" - really people, you do NOT want to be me. Good luck John.

Posts like this are why I don't have any accounts set up to allow on line banking. Can't even find out what the current balances is over the internet and that is just the way I like it.

The wife works in a Credit Union. She says a lot of these scams are actually originating in Canada (wtf?), and that the banks almost never go after the perps. It just seems to be an invitation to try that sort of thievery...there doesn't seem to be any repercussions.

At least where she works the CU will reimburse the pilfered funds.

Had my Amex stolen from my locker at the gym. Don't use it too much & it took 2-days before i noticed as nothing else was missing. Tbe bastards spent over $20k on Apple computers, designer clothing, restaurants/nightclub and lots of other electricals. Good news is the stores caught them on camera, they used their own phone number to reserve the "exclusive" restaurant/club and even booked a taxi to/from the club to home (thick as pig sh*t)... tosser worked at the gym. Confessed to taking over 20 cards. Amex were awesome, got every penny back within weeks and a phone call to update me on Her Majesty's latest customer. Happy days.

This is the reason I do not have any online banking.

If anything gets ordered it goes on a credit card. Had 2 charges once from a supposed flower shop in the U.K. or India (don't remember now), and about $150.00 worth of downloads from a site I had never heard of. Called C.C. company, disputed the charges, and they took care of it from there.

Now if that had happened to my checking account, it may be weeks, IF I got that money redeposited (small home town bank).

No way will I ever do online banking. If I can pay online for utilities or the like, it goes on a C.C. and gets payed via check from there.

Good luck, hope you get it resolved.

Sorry to hear that this happened to you. For whatever it is worth, anything, repeat ANYTHING, that you do online is accessible to all sorts of people. If you want to be a lot safer from ID theft, close every account you have used online and open replacement accounts, and do not do any more banking online. If you want to buy something online, you might want to use a prepaid debit card, that you can buy for slightly over the amount you want to spend. That way, if anyone gets hold of the number, it will do them no good, and it will not give them access to your bank accounts.

Good luck.

+1 chris112

One good technique to think about:

Never do online banking from your "normal" PC, there might be malware on it you are not aware of. Rather, download a "live cd" distro of Linux (Ubuntu is very user friendly) and boot off that to do your banking. Then reboot back into your regular settings. No chance of malware stealing your banking info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ranger70</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any leads to were the dollars went????</div></div>

Yep! I called one of the companies where She had purchased a high dollar camera lens. They were all to willing to give me her shipping information. She had used all my information for the contact and payment, so they were going to call me anyways. It is policy for them to call the contact when the shipping name/addy isn't the same as the payment info.

Susan

A very frustrating thing.
Little to no chance of them being caught.

Got zapped by the local Shell station - about $2200 bucks. Turns out they had gotten several of my employees too - had a video on the key pad at the pump, and in the store too. They had electronic skimmers to get the card info, then got the PIN via the cams.

Cops would barely take a report, only AFTER I got B of A fraud investigator on it. If I didn't have pull with business banker, it would have gotten swept away.

One thing to be aware of - if fraud isn't proven, they may take the refunded money back out of your account six months later. Be sure to get a fraud finding so that doesn't happen.

When at FedEx we would get high value items marked "No Signature Required" for delivery to empty houses. The thief would steal a CC order a big screen on-line and indicate they are never home and ask the seller to waive the signature requirement. This put any loss claim to the buyer (same thief) and then we, being none the wiser, would go deliver it. The thief would watch or drive by see it there and pick it up.

Once MO was discovered, same routine was followed BUT the LE would also stake out the placed and then bust the thief. Of course...all they were doing was picking it up for a friend.

Anyhow Susan, if you get the delivery address call local PD and tell them the story, and from whom the big ticket items are ordered from as well as cartage agent and who knows, maybe you'll get lucky.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When at FedEx we would get high value items marked "No Signature Required" for delivery to empty houses. The thief would steal a CC order a big screen on-line and indicate they are never home and ask the seller to waive the signature requirement. This put any loss claim to the buyer (same thief) and then we, being none the wiser, would go deliver it. The thief would watch or drive by see it there and pick it up.

Once MO was discovered, same routine was followed BUT the LE would also stake out the placed and then bust the thief. Of course...all they were doing was picking it up for a friend.

Anyhow Susan, if you get the delivery address call local PD and tell them the story, and from whom the big ticket items are ordered from as well as cartage agent and who knows, maybe you'll get lucky. </div></div>

Kasey,

I'll give them a call in the morning. I looked the house up on google earth and its in a really bad neighborhood...little 700 square foot houses.

Susan

BINGO!
I'd call local PD and tell them the situation so they can at least get that addy on radar as a possible drop site. Then once shipper is known feed that info to them as well. Nobody likes CC thiefs.

My bank puts a freeze after $100 if it's out of state - works against you if you don't pre-approve it though.

Keep my cash elsewhere so it's accessable..