• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Barrel Vise for Switch barrels?

Smokin

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2007
Houston, Texas
Having a switch barrel made for my Surgeon Action. What kind of vise and action wrench should I buy? How do I keep the vise from marring the cerakote on the barrel?

Re: Barrel Vise for Switch barrels?

I ended up going with the tubb barrel vice on my M2008. I used some paper wrapped around the barrel and it didn't mar the finish. (Though the finish on the barrel was a bit marred from shipping.)

For me it worked great. I think that the design allows for many different contours. Once I've spent some time swapping barrels back and forth, I'll be able to give a more well rounded impression of it. I have yet to remove a barrel with it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=650664

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smokin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Having a switch barrel made for my Surgeon Action. What kind of vise and action wrench should I buy? How do I keep the vise from marring the cerakote on the barrel? </div></div>

Heavy paper, or lead shims, or rosin, or duct tape, or leather.

As to the wrench, I'd recommend the kind that goes in from the rear (no reference to Jenna Jamison intended) rather than the loading port style.

And it couldn't hurt to ask the builder what he (or she, ha!) recommends.

I use empty toilet paper rolls to hold the barrel in the vise I made. I can use 1 cardboard roll 2 or 3 changes before having to replace it. ( If you use a scissors and split the rolls length ways, you can sandwich several together for putting in your range tool box.)

I have a couple of port entry action wrenches. But I have used a couple of the rear entry type that has a 1/2" square drive for use with a torque wrench. I really like that design better. When I get new wrenches they will be that style.

A lot of it is what you like and what you can afford. Get the best quality you can afford.

Drywall tape wrapped around BBL. works well I'am told

I have the Surgeon action wrench, which is a port style.

To prevent it from marring the action finish, just slide in a piece of drywall tape in between the action and tool.

Davidson Barrel Vise (http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&item=VISE&type=store), wrap barrel in paper, Stiller Precision rear entry action wrench (for Viper action) slightly modified (belt sander & Dremel) to fit Surgeon action and Savage actions.

Sinclair also has a Remington style rear entry wrench (http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&item=DW-2&type=store). You may have to Dremel a small groove on a Remington 700 wrench to accomodate the Surgeon anti-bind rail.

--Rootshot

That davidson barrel vice is identical to the tubb barrel vice I bought. Guess Tubb just rebranded it and bumped the price $5.

This was easy to do and didnt cost much either.

vise001.jpg

vise002.jpg

Man what are you pulling the barrels off of, Tanks?
grin.gif
That has got to be the most heavy duty barrel vise I have ever seen. But its better to have to much than not enough ain't it.

David

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg264</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man what are you pulling the barrels off of, Tanks?
grin.gif
That has got to be the most heavy duty barrel vise I have ever seen. But its better to have to much than not enough ain't it.

David </div></div>

Even better to have this thing when you have to pull of those pesky factory actions.

I would have give you a silver nickel for it last month. I pulled my first factory remington action and I liked to have never got it off. I give up on it the first night and finally got it off the next day. I heated the action up and soaked it down with Kroil the first night and I guess the Kroil broke down the thread locker that remington uses. I know I had over 200 lb/ft torque on this thing it would not turn loose.

David

I saw a picture where a guy had a groove cut in 2 blocks of wood in a press. Seems like it would work good.

I use wooden blocks (oak with no groove) in my vise, it is mounted underneath one of my benches so it is there when I need and out of the way on top of the bench. I have removed barrels off of issued Mausers without the barrel slipping without a problem. I want to get one made up that mounts on my receiver hitch and uses a small hydraulic jack so it is easy to use in the field.

Just my two cents,