• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrels: Good vs. Good but not quite as good

zenbiker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2009
Charlottesville, Virginia
Starting a new project, and I haven't bought a barrel in a long time. I've used Hart, Krieger, Obermyer, and a couple others. My favorite was the 17-4 steel barrel made by BlackStar back before the company was sold - it made the best 300 WinMag stick I ever shot. Stupidly sold it.

I have my CheyTac rifle in an XLR Chassis and a Lawton 8000 action. I'd like to have bolts made for 338 Lapua and standard magnum bolt faces and have barrels I'll chamber to the action for a switch barrel rig, like the DTA concept. Question: a good barrel makes or breaks a rifle. If you were going to lay your hard-earned money down on a barrel right now, what would be your top pick?

I want to say right now I"m not looking to start a flame-fest. I'm just looking for opinions from shooters who know the current crop of steel and any inside info. Thanks in advance, guys and gals.

Zen

I just got my 300wm rebarreled with a broughton. only had it out once so far but its 200 fps faster than my stock barrel. I went with the broughton because of several others on the hide reporting good results.

Like you, I've had barrels from various makers over the years.
Instead of throwing out an opinion, on my bolt action rifles I'm using barrels from:
Kreiger (3), Obermeyer (3), Bartlein (2), and Brux (1).
The blanks I currently have on hand are from Obermeyer, Kreiger, and Bartlein.

I will do the same as Diablo,

I have guns with these barrels on them,

3 benchmark
1 rock creek
1 bartlein
1 brux
1 shilen
1 Krieger

All are accurate, my most accurate rifle is my benchmark 308 built by Scout Supply company. Its a hammer.

I just got my 300wm rebarreled with a broughton. only had it out once so far but its 200 fps faster than my stock barrel. I went with the broughton because of several others on the hide reporting good results.

200 fps faster from the same length with the Broughton?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I see Lilja barrels in use among the .22LR rimfire crowd, also Benchmarks, and Borders.

But I have no idea what Dan's large bore barrels are like, currently.

Starting a new project, and I haven't bought a barrel in a long time. I've used Hart, Krieger, Obermyer, and a couple others. My favorite was the 17-4 steel barrel made by BlackStar back before the company was sold - it made the best 300 WinMag stick I ever shot. Stupidly sold it.

I have my CheyTac rifle in an XLR Chassis and a Lawton 8000 action. I'd like to have bolts made for 338 Lapua and standard magnum bolt faces and have barrels I'll chamber to the action for a switch barrel rig, like the DTA concept. Question: a good barrel makes or breaks a rifle. If you were going to lay your hard-earned money down on a barrel right now, what would be your top pick?

I want to say right now I"m not looking to start a flame-fest. I'm just looking for opinions from shooters who know the current crop of steel and any inside info. Thanks in advance, guys and gals.

Zen

If memory serves me correctly Blackstar didn't manufacture they're own barrels. They just did they're bore polishing treatment to barrels they purchased from other makers. They wanted to buy barrels from us when I worked at Krieger. We said no as they wanted to use the Krieger name as well. We told them if they did the bore polishing treatment to barrels we made they would be there barrels and we would offer no warranty on them. The 17-4 steel if memory serves me right is because they were getting some barrels from Lothar Walther.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

If you were going to lay your hard-earned money down on a barrel right now, what would be your top pick?

Bartlein. I have had many others like Lothar Walther, Shilen, Broughton, Kreiger etc but all my precision rifles wear Bartlein cut rifled barrels now. They are very accurate, give great velocities and clean up easy. Can't ask for more.

I don't see any mention of "Benchmark". I recently bought one and haven't had a sweeter shooting "tube", ever. Their barrels are hand lapped (twice I believe) and their system for chambering assures that the chamber will share the exact same axis as the bore. My benchmark barrel is yielding as much as 200 fps more speed for same loads as a previous barrel and this correlates with others experience at my local range.

I recently got to look inside a Krieger barrel when the owner brought his Hawkeye borescope to the range. It was one copper fouling SOB and you could clearly see the "scratch marks" from the rifling tool. If the bore was lapped it was done using Valve Grinding compound. Don't know if it came that way from Krieger or it was the result of an "expert" gunsmith but it sure looked nasty.

Try a Benchmark. You won't be unhappy. Mine is a 30 cal 5-C and it cleans like a dream. Break-In was minimal and I think it was recommended "just because". The bore looked as clean and shiny as if it had 500 rounds through it when I received it.

BTW, Benchmark is only a short 20-30 minute drive for me so they certainly are convenient. That said I'd buy another barrel from them even if i lived in the opposite corner of the US.

Last edited:
I Have a Lilja on my Palma Rifle.It shoots very well.My Friends also have several Lilja barrels 308 and they all shoot very well.

Regards Mike

I have several Bartlein's, a few Rock Creeks and Kreigers as well. My favorite are the Bartleins. They make a superb, consistent barrel. Great customer service and top notch velocities. They can also do custom things like gain twist and just about anything else you can dream up.

Their are some excellent barrel makers out there as mentioned above as well as barrels from Gary Schneider which have preformed for me, I have had the others also. of course who chambers the barrel and cuts the threads makes major difference in performance.

Black Star barrels that they marketed where for the most part made by Lothar Walter and the steel was LW 50 stainless steel which were then electropolished, which makes the surface microscopically featureless even observed under a scanning electron microscope. In addition it micro radius edges of lands & groves, removes damaged layer subsurface and imparts a slight taper bore, can be thought of as a electrochemical lapping process. I have several of the Black Star barrels myself which give outstanding performance.

Thanks, guys; I'm going to check into Broughton and BlackStar barrels. Good information to know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I believe I spoke with tim at broughton, and long story short he went out of his way to help me out. As far as the barrel, only had it out once and with break in and load work up I didn't really get to work on some groups but I did squeeze a nice one off with some fgmm.

Any time I get to choose the barrel, I request Bartlein.

The rifles I have without Bartlein barrels will have them once they're shot out.

That's not saying that other companies aren't making excellent barrels, I just get a warm fuzzy from Bartlein and their quality, quality control, customer service, and their availability to help shooters, as evidenced by Mr. Green posting on this thread.

Bartleins are great. I use Krieger in 20 cal due to Bartlein not making them. Both are great!

My rifles have these barrells -

1- 308 - hart
1- 6.5x284- broughton
1- 223- brux
I also have 2 blanks on order from brux !

I have two Shilen match rachet rifled four grooved barrels that are hammer's. Not many people use them but they are amazing!

My 1st custom barrel was a Kreiger which was such a big improvement over Remington's factory barrel. My other had a Bartlein, which work great, but I decided to switch caliber it's currently at Mark Chanlynn getting rebarreled with one of his barrels. Hopefully I'll have it back in a few weeks.

All of the top barrel manufacturers make excellent barrels, look at the 600 and 1000 yard Benchrest results. No one dominates. Mostly you see Kreiger, Brux and Bartlien. I have used all of those as well as Broughton. They all can make a bad one as well, that is where customer service is important. I have had issues with 2 barrels in my life, I was not treated well by Bartlien in my opinion, while in the other case I was treated more than fair by another maker. I could very well be an exception though. I believe Kreiger is the only one cryoing every barrel they make. Some of the very best br shooters swear by it.
Alex

Bartlien, Rock Creek, Brux, or Krieger. Any of these are considered some of the best. I also like Broughton 5C barrels.

Anybody have details on Benchmark's Taper Bore?

I understand that they do both cut and button rifling?

I've got a MullerWorks on my 6.5X47 L. It's a great barrel, shoots great and cleans easily. He used to work for Kreiger then set out on his own. Pretty much any cut rifeling barrels are good to go, from my research.

I've had barrels from Bartlein, Bartlein, Bartlein, and Bartlein (Anyone see a trend)

With that said my next chambered barrel will be a Bartlein, but the one after that will come from Hawk Hill Custom Rifles. If you haven't shot a hawk hill yet, you ought to give it a try. Hawk Hill Custom - Hawk Hill Custom These barrels win matches. Just ask Shawn B, the owner, he's won a couple.

Anybody have details on Benchmark's Taper Bore?

I understand that they do both cut and button rifling?

To my knowledge button rifling only.

Also never heard of them making a taper bore? That's new. Would be very hard to make a taper bore with a button! The button is one size and it's pulled/pushed thru the barrel. No way the button can make a taper bore.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

To my knowledge button rifling only.

Also never heard of them making a taper bore? That's new. Would be very hard to make a taper bore with a button! The button is one size and it's pulled/pushed thru the barrel. No way the button can make a taper bore.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

From what I've read the taper bore is only offered in their rimfire barrels and are tapered by starting with a undersized bore and lapping in the taper so that is tighter at the muzzle than the breach end.. I could be wrong and i'm sure the benchmark guys are willing to give people the correct info. Rimfire guys are raving about them and they hold several rimfire records. ( http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2008/02/benchmark-expands-centerfire-barrel-line/ read the first and last paragraph)

Last edited:
This is a quote from the linked thread ref True Taper Bore:

Originally Posted by creids98292
Here's just a quick and dirty summary of our barrels:
Pull button rifled, US steel (416R) to our specs stress relieved 2 times at the factory then 2 times here. Hand lapped before buttoning and after contouring/fluting, we have a consistent true taper bore checked via diatest pins to the .0001
Hope this is clearer than mud, any question feel free to ask
Chris
Benchmark Barrels
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/sniper-hide-gunsmithing/161231-benchmark-barrels.html

This link mentions Cut Rifling from Benchmark. Benchmark Expands Centerfire Barrel Line « Daily Bulletin

Bartlein. I have had many others like Lothar Walther, Shilen, Broughton, Kreiger etc but all my precision rifles wear Bartlein cut rifled barrels now. They are very accurate, give great velocities and clean up easy. Can't ask for more.

I agree with Rob....can't go wrong with a Bartlein.

This is a quote from the linked thread ref True Taper Bore:

Originally Posted by creids98292
Here's just a quick and dirty summary of our barrels:
Pull button rifled, US steel (416R) to our specs stress relieved 2 times at the factory then 2 times here. Hand lapped before buttoning and after contouring/fluting, we have a consistent true taper bore checked via diatest pins to the .0001
Hope this is clearer than mud, any question feel free to ask
Chris
Benchmark Barrels
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/sniper-hide-gunsmithing/161231-benchmark-barrels.html

This link mentions Cut Rifling from Benchmark. Benchmark Expands Centerfire Barrel Line « Daily Bulletin

Glad Chris made a post. The only way to get taper or choke into the barrel would be with the lapping. Didn't know they were making cut rifled barrels also?

Chris are these single point cut or broach cut?

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Last edited:
Lilja is a first class operation. I have a 308 AR10740 barrel on a LR308 platform and it is a hammer. Hand lapped and polished to a mirror finish. I had a modification I wanted done post sale. Dan the owner handled it personally at no charge. True match accuracy, hand made quality and exceptional service. You can't go wrong here.

I bought two 308 Lilja barrels one in 18" and one in 20". Both shot great. My others are Krieger in 223 and a JP in 6.5C. Those shot very well too. The Krieger will run better than half inch and all the others are around three quarters consistently. The Lilja takes zero effort to clean and the break in showed no copper fouling at all.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I recently got to look inside a Krieger barrel when the owner brought his Hawkeye borescope to the range. It was one copper fouling SOB and you could clearly see the "scratch marks" from the rifling tool. If the bore was lapped it was done using Valve Grinding compound. Don't know if it came that way from Krieger or it was the result of an "expert" gunsmith but it sure looked nasty.

I have owned a few Krieger's over the years and they all have a slight amount of "scratches" if you will in the lay of the bore. I have spoke with them about this and the gentleman I spoke with said it was intentional. They do not polish the bore to a very smooth surface as they feel (or felt at the time) that a highly polished bore had a tendency to pick up copper more than one with the internal finish they put on them. Now the barrel you are speaking of sounds like it may of had a bit more going on. Just thought I would throw that out there.

As far as barrels I like (in no particular order):
Krieger
Bartlein
Broughton
Lothar Walther
Border (cut rifled) - I really would love to try more of these, but the UK AW barrels are pretty damn impressive

I have been very let down by the products coming out of Shilen the last several years or so YMMV.