• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Basics on changing to detachable magazines

steve1419

Private
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2010
I have been trying to wade through the sea of info on here. I have a new 700 VTR in .308, and I am looking to change over to a detachable magazine. From what I have read so far would I only have to purchase the following two items?

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Detachable magazine kit</span></span>

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-473/Wyatt's-Outdoor-Detachable-Magazine/Detail

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Stock that accepts the kit</span></span>

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-108/mcmillan-a5-stock-tactical/Detail

Does anyone have any experience with this kit or have any recommendations for other ones? Also is this an operation someone with a little common sense could install, or would a gunsmith be needed?

Re: Basics on changing to detachable magazines

Check out cdi precision for your dbm. There are others out there to like badger ordnance, seekins, surgeon and american precision arms.
I would reccomend having a smith inlet the stock you choose or order it inletted for your brand dbm manners ir mcm will take care of you.

There are other options out there than buying a B&C stock and using Wyatt mags. As mentioned above, I think you will find most folks using one of the above mentioned systems with AICS mags, rather than B&C & Wyatt. Most smiths will inlet your stock for a reasonable price, an alternative is the Hooper DBM which uses the standard Rem 700 floorprint.

I'd just go with the Hooper ord. DBM unless ya want to spend 1K+ off the bat on stock and DBM + smith work.. Until I can afford the stock I want I am just going this route with my PSS stock..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Togeneral99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are there downsides to a B&C stock and wyatts mags? </div></div>

Wyatt's is a proprietary mag, some think this is the downside.

+1 for AICS mags and compatible bottom metals. It's the most popular platform.

I have the Wyatt's on my SPS Tactical....
DSC_0008-2.jpg

My only complaint is that the mags are long. They aren't staggered, but are single stacked. It makes for smooth feeding, but like I said, long. The one in the pic is the five rounder. If I remember right, modifying a stock to make it fit isn't hard, if needed at all.

What drew me to the Wyatt's was the mag release system. All it takes to release the mag is a forward push with your trigger finger. I've never done it accidentally and it's out of the way. No lever sticking out to get caught on....whatever. Still, I'd like to try out the Badger setup to see if I like it better.

Hey Steve, I had my heart set on going with a detachable system for my 700 .308, and then stumbled upon Mag-Xtender which gave me 7+1 for much less cost than a detachable system (literally around $20 or so if I recall). You may want to check it out. Hope this helps!

I also failed to mention that the rifle feeds great with the Mag-Xtender. I'm not affiliated with them in any way - just wanted to point out a more affordable alternative of getting higher capacity. Thanks!

Heres the link to Hoopers original posting about his DBM

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...rue#Post2152537

I think the only downside to Wyatt system as has been mentioned is there own mags, but another good point brought up is the mag release system on the Wyatt system, rather than a lever sticking down you have the release within the trigger guard. Wasn't a great fan of a lever sticking down so I went with Seekins new AICS DBM, I liked the push button option, a link to seekins group buy
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2061883#Post2061883

cdi will inlet for $60 i believe. if you have a 700, look in the used section. there is usually a badger DBM there or some other brand

I've used the Badger, and (of course) APA bottom metal more than any others. I've also used the Surgeon, CDI and a couple others.

Regarding stock inlet, here are a couple I grabbed off the shelf just for a quick comparison. The one on top is inlet for an APA RTG/Badger M5 (they share the same footprint). The bottom stock is inlet for a BDL trigger guard. Both stocks are McMillian HTGs and are otherwise identical.

bmInlet_adjustLarge.jpg

Here is one of the stocks with an RTG in the stock and a Badger next to it for reference.

bm_02_adjustLarge.jpg

Here is another look at the APA RTG and Badger M5 both with AICS 5-round magazines in them.

bm_01Large.jpg

RTG closer up:

rtg_01_adjustLarge.jpg

And here is a Surgeon installed in a rifle:

surgeonBm_01Large.jpg

The Surgeon design incorporates a "mag well" that protrudes below the stock slightly. The latch is ambidextrous and includes two small tabs that protrude slightly from the trigger guard.

surgeonBm_02Large.jpg

All these magazine systems use AICS pattern magazines. I say "pattern" because there are aftermarket magazines that are nearly identical to the AI products. Of these my personal favorites are the McRee Precision magazines. Here are two AI mags on the left and two McRee Precision magazines on the right. The longer mags are 10-rounders.

mags_adjustLarge.jpg

The McRee products are "good to go". I've been beating on some of these for awhile now and love them. They are $58 for the 5 and 10-rounders (yep, no price difference). Compared to the AI prices of $60 and $70 respectively for 5 and 10-rounders the McRee mags are a deal, Deal, DEAL. That reminds me I need to get them loaded on our website. LOL.

Hope this helps in some way.