• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Battle of the Binos! Which is best, and why?

Also, has anyone experienced tube flickering with the DTNVS housing? What causes it and is it a real issue?

I would be interested to know if the tube flickering on the dtn is always with L3 tubes.

There was a thread on arf where several dtn owners were complaining about individual pods not working, flickering and other issues. Not to mention the need to "shave lightpipes" as has come up numerous times. And it evidently doesn't fix the problem as more than a few with "shaved" light pipes have reported still seeing it in view.

The RPNVGs look awesome, though I wish they'd pan vertically like the paladin design from years ago.

Being able to adjust vertical tilt would make it so that I can exactly dial the adjustments for two perfect circles in the fov.

The only other con would be weight, it seems these would be on the high side with most other system around 1/4 lb lighter if not more.

Still "bombproof" doesn't begin to describe them.

This is an “All Skate” thread. Feel free to chime in with your thoughts and feelings.

I have seven (7) different sets of binos — L3 2376 PVS-31A (x2), L3 WP DTNVG, L3 WP DTNVS with RPO Glass, L3 WP BNVD-UL SG, L3 WP RNVG, L3 2376 1531, and a set of GP ANVIS-6.

Which is best, and why? If you have cash to burn, which one is your best option? (Hint: it’s NOT the PVS-31A).

More to come. 😁

But for now, Happy Thanksgiving to y’all! It’s turkey time!

View attachment 7747507
Do you like the RPO lenses or the PVS-31 lenses more purely from an optical perspective ignoring stuff like if they have diopters? Which ones have greater resolution/contrast?

Reactions: TheHorta
So… I dug out all my “stuff” for a “Bino” family photo. Need to get back one of my borrowed MH25’s to make them binos again, but…

53AB5695-AA16-4B0E-B42D-CDFE9133B75B.jpeg

Duels to the death! 😁

I suspect the 3700 FOM RPO DTNVS are gonna win.

So can you mount those PVS7's on the same helmet and get pano PVS7's? I would say at that point you have a PVS14 but that would be confusing...

My favorite binos are DTNVS & ANVIS-9's

If you want articulation I'd most definitely pick DTNVS w/ IPD stops over the PVS-31. Much more feature filled imo.

Love the power cut off and built in breakaway with an ANVIS ball detent setup. I'd also take an ANVIS housing over a more durable RNVG or MOD3. Less weight on my head is king and I'd rather fix a bridge or pod for a few hundred bucks if it came down to it. I prefer the IPD, tilt, and eye relief adjustment on the ANVIS housing, they're capable of finer adjustment and more refined than the aftermarket housings of similar style.

Last edited:
I was wrong!

PVS-7’s are best. Everyone should immediately dump your 31A’s, DTNVS, RNVGs, etc on the Hide and buy or straight trade them for PVS-7’s.

I have a few sets I’ll sacrifice as a straight trade for your inferior binos. Ping me privately.

Actually, I miss my old 7. It was my first piece of NV gear. Had a MX10130D tube (FOM restricted), but boy was it an eye opener.
My best memories with NV are all with 7. All the times I went fishing at night, scared the shit out of everyone I met - trying to learn how to properly walk at the beaches and riverbanks, looking like a retarded cyclops.

Using my IR lightsaber to scare the shit out of all the bloobs of small fish banks at the surface. Had no idea they could see at those wavelengths.

Using a small IR glowstick as a float.
Stargazing with my girlfriend.

Oh boy, maybe I should find one with a newer tube, and go stargazing with my youngest son…