• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BBQ comes from North Carolina and Brisket comes from Texas

Just before Christmas in 2011 I Stopped at Hard 8 after a trip to lone star range in Lockheart TX, it entirely ruined all BBQ anywhere else ever since.

There was brisket, it was excellent. There was bbq, it was excellent. There were shogun cartridges and rattle snake rattles on the tree. Excellent.

Overall, gotta say I liked that bit of Texas.

Reactions: NoDopes and lariat
View attachment 8303039View attachment 8303040I am from eastern NC and am now a hillbilly in NW NC. What I miss the most is good BBQ and good sausage.

Every time we are “home” we go to Nahunta and buy up a bunch of sausage to take home.

I don’t like warmed up BBQ so I get myself some when we’re back and savior the memories.

Folks who think NC BBQ is “soggy shredded pork” have only had chain food.

I do it right to show the Lexington crowd the truth.
What’s in the skillet? Looks delicious! Pig looks good 2👍🏼

Reactions: Lawless
Just before Christmas in 2011 I Stopped at Hard 8 after a trip to lone star range in Lockheart TX, it entirely ruined all BBQ anywhere else ever since.

There was brisket, it was excellent. There was bbq, it was excellent. There were shogun cartridges and rattle snake rattles on the tree. Excellent.

Overall, gotta say I liked that bit of Texas.
Hard 8 is pretty good. Standing outside in August to walk past the pits when it’s 140,000 degrees is not pleasant.

Reactions: Doing my part
smoker 6-23.jpg

I happen to like them all, Brisket wrapped and in the boat coasting up to 203, Butt getting some nice color on the rub, and damn did I mention my affinity for those "Fred Flintstone" beef ribs...its another level of decadence.

i hail from the capital of whole hog bbq.

Your brisket looks good, but you’ve gotta correct your vocabulary!

Can’t be walking around sounding like Steve Irwin and saying, “I do my brisket on the barbie!”

Your brisket looks good, but you’ve gotta correct your vocabulary!

Can’t be walking around sounding like Steve Irwin and saying, “I do my brisket on the barbie!”
I definitely don’t do it on the bbq. I do it on the smoker.
To be honest, I haven’t even used my BBQ since I got my smoker.

Reactions: Skunk
Wait, what? Are you Canadian? @Sean the Nailer don't only Canadians eat vinegar on Freedom Fries? Do Canadians have Marines?

Sirhr
I'd tend to agree with you, except now that 'fries' have been drug into this thread/mess, there is the whole "poutine" thing. And that is a tangent all it's own.

One of the local's here serves "Butter Chicken Poutine",,, how's that for a fusion dish? But they also serve a "Pulled Pork Poutine" so that is a contribution to the thread.

As you were....

More precisely, it's the "process" of how the meat is cooked. BBQ is about cooking meats at very low temps for longer periods of time ("Low and Slow."). OTOH, "Grilling" (as what you do to a good steak), is "Hot and fast" and, often, in direct fire for searing. You use the smokers for BBQ to impart the smoke flavor and keep the temp stable while the meat tenderizes over time.
This, and then there's the whole "cold smoke" process... which is less than 125F and for many hours, some times, days....

The way I cook steaks on the grill is very careful. Season as desired. Put right over the flame for a few minutes. Flip, and leave for a few minutes.

Flip and move to the side for indirect or lower heat. Flip once more, off the side. Get it off the fire and let it set.

The high heat at first is to sear the outer layer and let the juices get trapped.

The lower heat is to allow a little more cooking.

Taking off the heat, the steak is still cooking and you want a little bit of pink left.

Use tongs or spatulas.

Anyone stabbing with fork or knife will be shot on sight, no last rights.
We used to do this, until we found out (and practiced) sous-vide. Using the torch, after resting.... bestest steak cooking process ever.

Reactions: Ronws
Agreed... Brisket is totally awesome. But Brisket is Brisket and BBQ is BBQ.

Just 'sayin.

Of course, I originally hail from a place that boils ribeyes. But I lived in both NC and Texas... And about a dozen other places. So... there ya go!

Sirhr

PS. Lived in OH and they think that Chili on Spaghetti is food. Good lord!
Boiling ribeyes. Isn't sous vide the same thing?

I do a BBQ thing for friends every year at our cabin during the summer, built a smoker and all and have done ribs, briskets, chicken and about everything else you could think of. Last year I thought I would change it up a little and took the excavator and dug a big hole for a deep pit, rocked the interior, expanded metal grate for the bottom etc.
I spent all night feeding a cord of wood and all early morning prepping beef roast and pork shoulder. Put it in and covered for 10 or so hours and feasted. Tasted like shit, might as well put it in a crock pot. Filled the hole in and done with that shit.

y'all need to come down to West and Central Alabama (black belt) - they may not have much going for them but they can put the hurt on some pork bbq.

ANd congrats @sirhrmechanic for a great thread on a slow day. Perhaps for an encore you can nudge everyone to argue about 9mm vs .45acp? :)

My guess is the group that insists on no beans in chili, likes watered down vinegar barbecue sauce, only eats hard tacos will argue for the 9mm. They probably think skillet fried breaded cubed steak is called something silly like "chicken fried steak" instead of "country fried steak"

Reactions: Bender
y'all need to come down to West and Central Alabama (black belt) - they may not have much going for them but they can put the hurt on some pork bbq.

ANd congrats @sirhrmechanic for a great thread on a slow day. Perhaps for an encore you can nudge everyone to argue about 9mm vs .45acp? :)

My guess is the group that insists on no beans in chili, likes watered down vinegar barbecue sauce, only eats hard tacos will argue for the 9mm. They probably think skillet fried breaded cubed steak is called something silly like "chicken fried steak" instead of "country fried steak"
Beans. no ever. Especially chili.
BBQ sauce. Not too big a fan. Haven't tried all of them so no idea. Not a fan of vinegar.
Tacos. Soft.
9mm.
Country fried vs chicken fried. Don't care what it is called but it's good. Goodson's Cafe in Tomball Texas is great.