• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BCG wear on lower near buffer tube entrance, normal?

rmiked

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2023
I have about 30 rounds thru my new Seekins SP10. Love the rifle, functions flawlessly. I separated the upper from lower and noticed some slight wear marks where the BCG enters the buffer tube. I attached pics of lower and both sides of BCG. You can’t really feel it with your fingernail and it is adjacent to the machined circular tube intersecting a ledge. I assume this is normal. It’s not gouged. I have read this part of the lower is the weakest (thin) and manufacturers don’t want to remove any more material than necessary. The rifle fucntions flawlessly. I assume it will wear in to the point no more wear will occur. There is a lot going on at this point where the BCG enters and exits the buffer tube.

Attachments

• IMG_2600.jpeg
    IMG_2600.jpeg
    312.1 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_2599.jpeg
    IMG_2599.jpeg
    285.2 KB · Views: 140
  • FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    331.1 KB · Views: 150
My carrier rails wear the same as yours, but I have never had marks like that on the lower.

When you manually pull the charging handle all the way back, do you feel it rub or hang up at all?

No, absolutely no hang up or “catch when operating charging handle. Like I said, it’s hard to catch your fingernail on the wear marks. Seems like it’s just the finish and 1 or 2 thousandths. I’ll watch it. If it becomes a problem , Seekins will make it right. I’m thinking it’s indicative of tight tolerances? I’m hoping it will wear and stop when the interference is gone.

Pull the charging handle all the way rearward and measure the distance between the bolt catch and the face of the bolt. Shouldn't be more than 1/4" or so. If it IS more, pull the buffer and spring out and drop a quarter into the bottom of the tube. Re-install the spring and buffer and measure again. 1/8 to 1/4 inch clearance is good.

Reactions: bfoosh006
Would that distance have any bearing on the wear marks?
Yes. If the bolt carrier travels too far rearward, the bearing surfaces will contact the lower receiver and usually leave gouge marks in the lower. Since yours seem to be simply wear marks, (rather than gouging out metal) this may be considered a normal occurrence in your gun.

Reactions: bfoosh006
Thanks for the explanation. I found another thread on here where a guy contacted Seekins about this similar occurrence. They said it was common in their lower as they left extra material there. Once it wears off the finish (slight rub marks) it won’t wear anymore. If it bothered you they would essentially Polish it out and recoat it. Given that explanation, it doesn’t bother me. I shot the rifle for the first time today, and I am deer hunting with it tomorrow. It shoots very smooth and accurate. Having been shooting a 300 WM bolt action for years, a 6.5 CM gas gun is a dream to shoot.

Reactions: mtrmn
Quit being paranoid. It doesn't even look broken in.

That's a long ways from wearing out.

Reactions: 308pirate
Seekins says 150-200 rounds for breaking in. Sure shoots well to be new

Reactions: mtrmn