• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

bedding a 700 tactical with a Hogue stock

cnofear2000

Private
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2010
Has anyone bedded a Remington 700 Tactical action in a Hogue overmoulded stock? I read on another site that it's not recommended because the stock has so much rubber/plastic?
Thanks!

Re: bedding a 700 tactical with a Hogue stock

I will let you know that the general consensus is the first upgrade to the SPS-T is a new stock. Sell the stock and dont look back.

To answer your original question, it is difficult to get anything to stick to that rubber.

I remember seeing a thread about it, but I was unable to find it. You should just ditch the crappy stock. It was one of the first things I did. You can pick up an HS precision take off pretty cheap.

Looking in the Classifieds, seems HS's are running 225-275 for a take-off. Thought about doing that with my AAC, but decided I might as well suck it up and wait for a McM.
blush.gif

remember that the p model h-s precision is a great stock but no recoil pad and a 13.5 LOP...i could never get it to fit me right.. For the first 12 rounds was dead accurate..after that it was punishing me and shots where a waist of time....

I guess it all depends on what caliber you are shooting and how you manage recoil. I don't see a problem with the H-S take-off if you're shooting 308 and under. If it's higher, you can still use a H-S but get a Limbsaver or pachmayr decelerator.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cnofear2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone bedded a Remington 700 Tactical action in a Hogue overmoulded stock? I read on another site that it's not recommended because the stock has so much rubber/plastic?
Thanks! </div></div>

I can suffer Hogue on 10/22's and AR's,though not bolt guns.

As per a 700 in particular,there's not much literally to work with on a Hogue. That due to their construction technique and materials. The receiver ring is supported fairly well,but the lug mortise is a joke and the fore end a buggy whip of "stability".

Can you slather some shit in the inlet and bed it? Yes certainly. A cheap OEM laminate will get you further,faster and with far more happiness in both the short and long terms.

The problem with the Hogue is using it with a bipod the forearm flexes enough to make contact with the barrel, a no no. I used fiberglass fabric and mixed resin to fill the voids. It really helped but I ended up buying a 5r take off by HS Precision best move I've made.