• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Bedding question

Am180man

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2008
Missouri
I sent my rifle (FN/SPR) off for some work, and while it was at the shop it had the 'smith do a bedding job. When it was returned I questioned him on the job and he siad it wasn't one of his better ones(?).

The recoil lug and rear tang areas turned out good, the area where the barrel comes out from the receiver wasn't the best. The bedding material wasn't distributed evenly.....one side was almost up to the top of the stock while the other was only about half way. Also barrel was bedded only about 1/2" or less from front of the receiver.

I took my moto tool and carefully cut/grind the bedding back until the barrel was supported evenly on both sides. My question is should the barrel be bedded up to the top of the stock AND at least an inch or so out? If so, can a good smith remove all the old bedding and re-do everything? This is all based on how well the rifle will shoot after I get it back together. it was .435" before bedding....hoping for good results.
Steve

Re: Bedding question

I hope it shoots for you but did he offer to explain why he would let it go out the door that way? he should refund it at the least. I would wonder about what else he let slide.

Agree. If he admitted it wasn't up to par he should WANT to fix it just on principle or at least refund some money.

Some bed 2" of the barrel and some don't bed any of the barrel. Before you go "trashing" your gunsmith, shoot the rifle and see how it shoots. May be a moot point.

I'm not going to trash him. He is on the boards here and is a good guy. Bedding just isn't his specialty. I'll see how it shoots....if it isn't up to par I'll send it to Roscoe or GAP.
Steve