• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bell and Carlson stocks.....any good??

RAYGUN73

Private
Minuteman
May 15, 2005
N.Y.
I am in the market for a new stock for my 700SPS. Trying to keep the budget on the stock under $250
I see Bell and Carlson have many types from Tactical A2/A3 etc to what looks to be varmit types similar to an HS Precision stock.
Anybody know the story about these, avoid, good to go ???

They look nice, although I have not handled them.

TIA

Reactions: GEMRI
Re: Bell and Carlson stocks.....any good??

There mid level stocks, Have a pretty decent aluminum bedding. Ive had a couple in the past with no problems.

Here's one I just got. I like it. M40 style...

22.jpg

im looking into the tactical medalist seems like a good deal on stockystocks.com

hey kpk how long is that barrel?

It's 26" I think, but that pic makes it look 2 miles long!

they seem to be pretty decent. I havent fired a rifle in one but ive handeled them. However, if your looking at spending money on a stock i would just jump up to a really basic HS precision IMO the ergonomics, particularly the palm swell is much better and you can get them for $350-$365. buy once cry once.

They are very "mid-level" stocks and don't compare to the HS Precison/Manners/McMillan's. Thats why they are priced so much less.

I used to use them (lived 30 miles from the factory), so I got the blems for $40, dremeled out the receiver, bedded them to various actions, and painted. That was when they were located in Atwood Kansas.

I have not cared for the quality since they moved to Dodge City. I know guys that use them, but usually upgrade later.

Speaking about barrel length. If I did a A2 style stock w/my 20inch SPS barrel will it be too much stock and not look balanced?/
I really like the A2 style and would eventualy like to upgrade to a detatchable type mag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBore56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are very "mid-level" stocks and don't compare to the HS Precison/Manners/McMillan's. Thats why they are priced so much less.

I used to use them (lived 30 miles from the factory), so I got the blems for $40, dremeled out the receiver, bedded them to various actions, and painted. That was when they were located in Atwood Kansas.

I have not cared for the quality since they moved to Dodge City. I know guys that use them, but usually upgrade later. </div></div>

I'm just stating my opinion, here so no one get mad, but I don't agree with this. Unless I just happen to get a good B&C. I had an HS before this and thought the fit/finish sucked! Chalky, weak feeling stock, but that's just me. This one is nice. I don't care for the black webbing, but I'm thinking on sanding it and multicamming it soon...

I will say though, after getting a McM soon after the B&C I would tell you to save another month or so and find one in the classifieds...talk about nice!@

Not to Hijack, but would anyone say that a McM stocked rifle will be more accurate than a B&C in terms of performance? Or is just the fit and finish of the stock is better, so better comfort translates to better shooting?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cooper623</div><div class="ubbcode-body">they seem to be pretty decent. I havent fired a rifle in one but ive handeled them. However, if your looking at spending money on a stock i would just jump up to a really basic HS precision IMO the ergonomics, particularly the palm swell is much better and you can get them for $350-$365. buy once cry once. </div></div>

I agree with buy once cry once.
Looking at the stocks at a reputable sellers website and he offers a refund if not satisfied. So my only risk is shipping.
The palm swell on the A2 tactical looks pretty generous.

Ive only dealt with the medalist tactical but if you think that itll work for you and you have that refund its certainly worth the try if you have the patience. At the end of the day, if you like the way your stock feels, and its an upgrade over the sps stock then you really cant go wrong

although i do have to agree with KPK. I perfer mcmillan over all simply because the ergonomics are unmatched and the fit and finish is impecable. Plus i really like the molded in colors because it provides a form of camoflague without the cheesy stereotypical camo pattern.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh for fucks sakes.....paint the fucker and become a sniper......

</div></div>

What type of paint should I use??
grin.gif

krylon..............

i so very much now think that the three stooges series that i witnessed in my miss spent yoot were golden.,.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselgeek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So far I'm very happy w/ mine. </div></div>

Very nice!!

What Harris bipod is that?

I bought a used A5 from another member here. Dropped an SPS varmint in it and was GTG. I loved being able to adjust everything the way I wanted it. That being said, my mcmillan is very nice also. Very well made but twice the price so it should be. On another note my next stock will be a Manners with the mini-chassis. Best of both worlds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh for fucks sakes.....paint the fucker and become a sniper......

</div></div>

Haha I like it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RAYGUN73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Speaking about barrel length. If I did a A2 style stock w/my 20inch SPS barrel will it be too much stock and not look balanced?/
I really like the A2 style and would eventualy like to upgrade to a detatchable type mag.
</div></div>

I'd recommend skim bedding for maximum accuracy

Picture010.jpg

newstock2.jpg

finished_1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RAYGUN73</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselgeek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So far I'm very happy w/ mine. </div></div>

Very nice!!

What Harris bipod is that?

</div></div>

It's a cadwell, I have a Harris SBRM w/ a swivel lock in the mail.

I replaced my tupperware stock with one, It did help accuracy a lot. Had it on for a few months, sold it and replaced it with a McMillian A5.

I suggest saving a bit more and getting one. you can watch here and get a hell of a deal. I missed some. I got greedy, rushed to buy mine, and a month later, there was 4-5 for sale here the color I wanted.

I shot 1/2 MOA w/ the OEM stock, and I've shot the same w/ the new stock. I still really like it.

I have the A2 and love it but I wish I had spent the extra and gotten the A5 with the adjustable cheekpiece and butt plate. Did not realize the value until I got serious about shooting prone

Just picked up an excellent B&C A2 stock in black from another member.
He actualy pmed me after seeing this thread.

I've had a B&C on my Savage for a couple years now and it's a shooter. It came with a black webbing but some fine grit sandpaper took care of it real easy. Smooth as glass now. Good bang for the buck, I'd give it a thumbs up.

I have 2 Mcmillans, 1 HS, and 1 B&C. I really like that B&C...

I got a medalist on my Howa and I love it, fits me real great, but didn't like the wide front part, so modded it a little and cut of the wide part, sanded put some fiberglass on it did some texture and duracoated it Tactical OD green, now it's my new mcmillan a2 on looks..
Will do pics when it's dry!!

For about 1/2-2/3 less dough than a McM or Manners, they are well worth the money.

No, they arent as nice as a McM or Manners, but they're also 1/2-2/3 LESS money and they get the job done.

Who's got the best price on B & C stocks?

thanks

I have the same stock as Glock24 on my Howa 1500 .308 and I think its great for what its used for. Its 10000 times better than the flex hogue stock that came on the Howa. I like it as an occasional shooter for now, and the accuracy picked up tremendously for me with the change. I cant speak for other stocks as I am sure there are better but for the money, it did well by me.

Posted December 11
I also have the P14 Century International Arms Centurion P14 7mm Rem Mag with a Bell and Carlson Stock. My Dad gave it to me as a gift years ago. I took it to the range and the groups were all over the place. I took it to a local gun smith to get it looked over. He ended up remounting the scope and rings to make sure everything was right. He also glass bedded the stock and free floated the barrel. Lastly, he installed a Timney trigger. I went back to the range to see what it could do after upgrades. I found out that when I got back to the range, all the time, effort and money was well worth it. It will shoot MOA at 100 yards out. I now have a great hunting rifle for around $250 dollars in upgrades and alignments. I will post pictures soon. Glad to be on the forum.
2016-01-17_113846.jpg
2016-01-17_113903.jpg
2016-01-17_113917.jpg
2016-01-17_113929.jpg
2016-01-17_113940.jpg
2016-01-17_113953.jpg
2016-01-17_114004.jpg
2016-01-17_114019.jpg