• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Benelli SBE 3 Vs Beretta A400?

hafejd30

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 27, 2019
    MI
    Looking to purchase a decent semi shotgun. Want it mostly for hunting. Anything from grouse, turkey to geese

Have done a decent bit of research between these two to understand the benefits to inertia vs gas and the overall differences between them. No local place to lay my hands on one here

This isn’t an immediate purchase but wondering what your preferences are especially if you’ve handled and shot both

Mostly looking for any reason to stay away from one or the other

I'd try to get hands on them for sure. The Beratta doesn't fit me worth a darn. Can't get a sight down the rib, the stock is too high. It may shim to get a good fit, but off the rack it doesn't work. The Benelli SBE comes up like it belongs there.
    My guess is they both work good, but comfort is key.

You could save some coin and look at a Franchi Affinity. It’s made at the same plant in Italy, and literally says Benelli on the side. All the benefits of the M2 for cheaper, same parent company. I have the 3” version and it’s awesome.

I have shot both and prefer the Benelli.
    But both are solid guns. It really will depend on your size, shape and personal preference.
    From a performance standpoint, both are excellent.

I have owned and shot variations of both inertia and gas.

Both s-guns fit me well enough so I don't fuss too much about it.

In the end, my safe has only room for Beretta s-guns for hunting/target.

Now for SHTF type shotty, that's a whole different scenario!

A400 for me. Recoil system is great and it balances on my shoulder fantastic. Buddy has an m2 but it doesn’t seem to fit me as well. I tried both before I bought mine.

If your shooting heavy loads frequently I would go with the A400 just because it’s a whole lot more pleasant to slog 3.5”s out of then the benelli. I love the way Benelli’s handle and shoulder but love the way Beretta’s shoot. Reliability is a wash between the two IMO, they both have their little quirks at times.

Reactions: JoshuaPaul
    Thank you guys

Looks like getting my hands on them will decide

You need to shoulder each one. A natural point of aim is essential for accurate shooting. Close your eyes and shoulder the shotgun. Then open your eyes and see where your eyes are in relationship to the barrel and beads.

You need to shoulder each one. A natural point of aim is essential for accurate shooting. Close your eyes and shoulder the shotgun. Then open your eyes and see where your eyes are in relationship to the barrel and beads.
    I wouldn’t let the fit sway me one way or the other if there wasn’t too much difference between the two since both come with shim kits.

Reactions: Sagewind and krw
    The more I research the more I’m swaying to the A400

Id still rather the m3 convertible benelli something about having a choice in a good gun semi auto or pump all in one Its hard to beat .would be nice if they made a newer version and make it for the general public . Or a new spaz updated not in cheap plastics either
    1622173157563.png

Id still rather the m3 convertible benelli something about having a choice in a good gun semi auto or pump all in one Its hard to beat .would be nice if they made a newer version and make it for the general public . Or a new spaz updated not in cheap plastics either
    View attachment 7635082
    Those are great guns as well. A while back I was looking into a M4.

This however is a hunting/skeet shooting shotgun only. So weight will be a factor.

I have shotguns with both standard stocks and pistol grips. I can say without a doubt my preference goes to standard stocks for hunting

Also prefer the safety on the trigger guard. The Benelli is behind the guard, beretta is in front

Reactions: acudaowner
    I have both and still prefer my browning maxxis. Its all about fit. Whichever shoulders best will be the best gun.

The a400 is the smoothest shotgun I’ve ever fired, low recoil. I don’t have the sbe but I do have the montefeltro and it just feels different due the the Inertia system vs gas. I personally like the a400 the most of any shotgun I’ve ever owned, and while not scientific I can’t remember the last time I had a malfunction with a Beretta semi.

Reactions: hafejd30
    Looking to purchase a decent semi shotgun. Want it mostly for hunting. Anything from grouse, turkey to geese

Have done a decent bit of research between these two to understand the benefits to inertia vs gas and the overall differences between them. No local place to lay my hands on one here

This isn’t an immediate purchase but wondering what your preferences are especially if you’ve handled and shot both

Mostly looking for any reason to stay away from one or the other
    So, I suggest you may need to resolve your requirements a bit more.....water fowl to turkeys to grouse and other uplands are very different environments.

I live in Maryland, I'm a long time former skeet shooter and I have a number of shotguns, and I hunt waterfowl mostly.

I own a Benelli SBE II for waterfowl. Unlike some others, I don't particularly feel that this is a great pointing and fitting shotgun but it has the very desirable advantage of being able to paddle a duck boat with it and then shoot birds. There ain't much to it at all which is good when out in the ice and freezing rain sort of thing. I find the finish of the barrel to be....well, compared to other shotguns I own, it sucks. But it for the duck boat and goose pit and I didn't buy it for looks and I don't worry if it gets beat up a bit.

Now, all shotgun combs are too low for me and the SBE II was no exception. I note a fella above says that the comb was too high for him. So yes, in a shotgun fit is everything. With that said, Benelli does make different replaceable soft combs for the SBE and that fixed my sit problem which was greater than could be compensated for with shims

Benelli shoots 3.5" shells which may be a factor to you. Me....I wouldn't shoot those mortar shells for nothing. I do mostly shoot 3" 1 1/4 oz but if all I can find are 3 1/4" shells, well...its nice to know I can shoot them.

Also, as an inertial system, you won't be shooting light target loads very well out of an SBE II. They don't cycle well with light loads.

Cleaning an SBE is stupid simple as it has no gas system to get grunged up.

I also have a Beretta gas gun...mine is an older 390 and in my opinion, for general shooting its superior to the SBE II in comfort and versatility and for turkey and grouse I would def go that way. Beretta has 400 series shotguns that have soft combs but I can't find that they are replaceable with various comb heights like the SBE.

The Beretta gas guns will cycle lighter loads and have less recoil. But, they don't care for freezing rain or dirty gas systems which the Benelli doesn't even have as an inertial system (can you say a few drops of brake-free for icing/dirt...yes, you can! haha)

Most of the A400's only shoot 3" shells but the A400 Extreme shoot up to 3 1/2".

If I was to chose a single gas gun today for general hunting and, in particular, waterfowl, it would be an Extreme but they are not inexpensive...well, but neither is the SBE and looking at it you wonder WTF you paid so much money for.

For upland birds I FAR prefer a break action OU and FAR prefer to hunt upland with others who also use an OU as its easy to see when the gun is safe (cause the action is open). But, I'm not trying to suggest you buy 3 different guns.

I hope this meandering dump provided some helpful information for you.

Best of luck.

Reactions: hafejd30
    Thank you guys

I’ll put what I think my actual shooting will entail

50% Skeet for practice/sport
    25% geese
    10% pheasant
    10% turkey
    5% grouse

I own both and slightly prefer the narrowed fore end of the benelli. Other then that I don't think I really notice much difference. The recoil reduction is over exaggerated on the gas versus inertia.

Reactions: Rog2069
    Thank you guys

I’ll put what I think my actual shooting will entail

50% Skeet for practice/sport
    25% geese
    10% pheasant
    10% turkey
    5% grouse
    If you can swing it, I still stand by my rec of the Beretta Extreme

I own both and slightly prefer the narrowed fore end of the benelli. Other then that I don't think I really notice much difference. The recoil reduction is over exaggerated on the gas versus inertia.
    My biggest reason for gas vs inertia would be the ability to run the cheap target loads for general shooting

I have always had benelli sbe's, but my kid started hunting with me last fall and all I could find locally was a A400 extreme plus. I'm happy with either, but in all honesty I do prefer my Cordoba Supersport to either, but it's a 3" gun.

I ran the SBE2 for a long time, never failed me, but when we started really hammering sandhill cranes I swapped to the A400 this year. It has significantly less recoil when you start chunking 3.5” dead coyote.

Both will serve you well for a long long time if cared for properly, the only thing I ever did with my SBE was replace the recoil spring in the stock every season. The recess that the tail of the bolt recoils into accrues a lot of shit over the course of early teal, both splits, goose and crane season. I’ve run 1200 ish FPS loads through both and the beretta does it better for sure, mostly shoot a 20ga for dove and quail though.

I'd try to get hands on them for sure. The Beratta doesn't fit me worth a darn. Can't get a sight down the rib, the stock is too high. It may shim to get a good fit, but off the rack it doesn't work. The Benelli SBE comes up like it belongs there.
    They come with shims in the box.

I have the same issue with both Beretta and Benelli. Pull the stock and drop the shim in, and it lands perfectly.

I'm a big fan of the blink system. Shoots soft and zero fucking with gas valves. I cleaned one with 12 cases of trap loads. While it was dirty as hell, it was still running just fine on 1oz #8's.

Reactions: MarkCO and Eric_F
    What kind of round count are we talking here?
    Not sure

Im a rifle guy and right now I shoot less than 100 rounds of shotgun a year. Out of a 870 police model shotgun

I’d be shooting a few more clays. Did some pheasant hunting last year and will do more this year, but that won’t be many rounds

Goose would be the largest amount of actual loads I’d run through the gun most likely. My buddy got serious into it last year using a 870 3” 12 gauge. He made the suggestion of buying a good semi 3.5” for geese. He plans to do the same

So something that handles the cheap loads for practice and heavy loads for geese with say a round count of 300 or so a year would be my preference

Not sure

Im a rifle guy and right now I shoot less than 100 rounds of shotgun a year. Out of a 870 police model shotgun

I’d be shooting a few more clays. Did some pheasant hunting last year and will do more this year, but that won’t be many rounds

Goose would be the largest amount of actual loads I’d run through the gun most likely. My buddy got serious into it last year using a 870 3” 12 gauge. He made the suggestion of buying a good semi 3.5” for geese. He plans to do the same

So something that handles the cheap loads for practice and heavy loads for geese with say a round count of 300 or so a year would be my preference

My .02 Goose guns don't make good clay guns.

Last edited:
    Reactions: MarkCO
    The more I research the more I’m swaying to the A400
    I've had an A400 for a few years now. I use it for turkeys, fox, coyote and so on. I absolutely love that thing! When you pick it up it's so solid. It's a shotgun on steroids. It will handle anything you throw at it. The only complaint I have is spending $1,600 on a shotgun and then having to buy quality sights..... I know it comes with a bead but come on man....

Attachments

• 20210119_205723.jpg
      20210119_205723.jpg
      523.2 KB · Views: 127
    Ordered an A400 Extreme Plus in optifade marsh 28” barrel 12 gauge

A guy at work is contemplating selling his sbe 3 so may end up with each haha

I have shot and owned both guns. For my money I prefer the A400. The Benelli is easier to keep clean and feels trimmer in my hands. The Beretta feels sturdy and has less recoil. I shoot an A400 Excel for clays and an O/U for birds but no geese. If recoil is an issue, some of the A400’s come with a recoil taming kick-off device. Both are great guns but I prefer the Beretta. If you are only shooting 300 rounds per year there are less expense alternatives to consider.

Fit is important, and both have that covered with the shims and spacers, so that is irrelevant.

The A400 is probably the best Clay gun, but realize that there are a LOT of models and variations even within those. Softer on recoil, which matters when you are shooting over 100 targets a day. Fairly easy to clean, and it will need a little more than the SBE3.

The SBE3 is probably the best Hunting gun.

I have shot both and prefer the Benelli.
    But both are solid guns. It really will depend on your size, shape and personal preference.
    From a performance standpoint, both are excellent.
    Looking to get a semi auto 20 for squirrel franci berrera or Benelli wich is most reliable in cycling if clean ?

Once I added the longer lop Benelli but pad, the 28" SBE3 is perfect for me.

I made sure it was well oiled with the supplied lube and then "broke it in" with two boxes of 3.5" magnum duck loads. The third box I ran through it was 1oz euro-budget loads and she cycles like a hungry Rottweiler eating a med-rare steak.

The gun is nimble, in spite of it's chambering.

It is exactly what I wanted.....one gun to do it all....ducks, deer, dove, quail and clays.

Well, almost....I'll use a shorter barreled pistol gripped smoke pole for turkey.

Update:

So my A400 was back ordered for a while. Actually had the chance to handle a A300 Ultima. 3” gun with lots of the things I liked about the A400. So ended up buying one

Used the A300 Ultima last season for geese and absolutely love the gun. Shoots great. Low recoil. Shoots about 60/40. Very light and a great fit for me