• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara BXR

If you want to fix the failure to feed, replace the bolt, with a Kidde, if you want to fix the trigger pull, get a Kidde, If you want reliable magazines use t/c. The rest of the gun seems to work fine.

I have had the carbon barrel model for a few weeks now. Around 800 rounds in now and have had some weird results. First couple hundred rounds were all great, .75-1" groups were normal with CCI SV @100 yards. Then they started opening up to 2-2.5". Talked with another guy on a Facebook group and he was having the same results as mine. He noticed some wear on his bolt and that the finish was almost chipping off of it. Disassembled and cleaned really well then lubed it up good and the groups shrunk. So I tried it on mine and noticed some wear on the bolt myself but after cleaning the receiver and lubing it up really well my groups shrunk back down to what you can see in the pictures. Still playing with it but the bergara, ruger and tcr mags all stick in the mag well, I need to do some sanding on it to get them to drop free apparently.
20200721_153441.jpg
20200721_153436.jpg
20200721_153508.jpg

I have the CF BXR and I had the sticking mag problem, but after a few hundred rounds it went away. Though I did switch to using Ruger 10rd mags as I feel like the are higher quality and feed better. I've tried a dozen or more different types of ammo and the best groups I've gotten are 1-1.5" at 100 with SK Semiauto. The problem I haven't been able to fix is all the failure to fires that I get. 1 to 2 rds out of most every 10 rd mag fail to fire. Then when I pull the bolt back the extractor doesn't grab it, so I have to either drop the mag, close the bolt, and resinert the mag to try firing the round again or drop the mag, lock bolt to the rear, and manually extract the round. Every round that has failed to fire has an impression from the firing pin, and if I try shooting them a second time they will always fire. I'm using SK Semiauto ammo, but it's done it with every ammo I've tired including CCI Greentip and Eley. I contacted Bergara about the problem in hopes that they'd send me a new firing pin, but instead they had me send my gun into them. They inspected it, told me it was dirty, cleaned it, then test fired 30 rds without a problem and sent my gun back saying it was fine. I've always cleaned after every shooting trip, so being dirty isn't the problem. The problem is that the failure to fire problem doesn't always happen, 1 mag will be good and the next one will be bad, it's not consistent. I think Beraga just got lucky with shooting three mags and not having a problem. I have a Vorquartsen firing pin I was going to put in and try but the problem is that the BXR bolt profile is slightly thinner than the 10/22, enough so that the Vorquartsen firing pin protrudes from the top of the bolt. I think I've talked myself in trying it anyway, but before I do I wanted to ask if anyone has tried a different firing pin in their BXR? I think it'll work fine, but I'm a little concerned about the top of the firing pin rubbing on the reciever.

Reactions: jondickenson
I have the CF BXR and I had the sticking mag problem, but after a few hundred rounds it went away. Though I did switch to using Ruger 10rd mags as I feel like the are higher quality and feed better. I've tried a dozen or more different types of ammo and the best groups I've gotten are 1-1.5" at 100 with SK Semiauto. The problem I haven't been able to fix is all the failure to fires that I get. 1 to 2 rds out of most every 10 rd mag fail to fire. Then when I pull the bolt back the extractor doesn't grab it, so I have to either drop the mag, close the bolt, and resinert the mag to try firing the round again or drop the mag, lock bolt to the rear, and manually extract the round. Every round that has failed to fire has an impression from the firing pin, and if I try shooting them a second time they will always fire. I'm using SK Semiauto ammo, but it's done it with every ammo I've tired including CCI Greentip and Eley. I contacted Bergara about the problem in hopes that they'd send me a new firing pin, but instead they had me send my gun into them. They inspected it, told me it was dirty, cleaned it, then test fired 30 rds without a problem and sent my gun back saying it was fine. I've always cleaned after every shooting trip, so being dirty isn't the problem. The problem is that the failure to fire problem doesn't always happen, 1 mag will be good and the next one will be bad, it's not consistent. I think Beraga just got lucky with shooting three mags and not having a problem. I have a Vorquartsen firing pin I was going to put in and try but the problem is that the BXR bolt profile is slightly thinner than the 10/22, enough so that the Vorquartsen firing pin protrudes from the top of the bolt. I think I've talked myself in trying it anyway, but before I do I wanted to ask if anyone has tried a different firing pin in their BXR? I think it'll work fine, but I'm a little concerned about the top of the firing pin rubbing on the reciever.
Just give in and buy the Kidd complete bolt, it will help with all the problems listed, and you just as well buy the trigger as well.

Two of my pet peeves with the 10/22 is the fact that the bolt does not stay open after the last shot and the magazine release. Hope Bergara fixes this.

I made the mistake of buying a BXR steel barrel because I wanted to try one for nrl 22.

It has become a project gun to try and make it shoot well.

With out a suppressor it will group about 3 moa at 25 yards. With a thunderbeast 22takedown and SK standard, the group opens up to 6 moa.

The receiver to stock fit is terrible and I can wiggle the gun in the action.

I've bedded the rifle, which has helped. I'm going to drill and tap it for a 1/4x20 screw because the stock one is so soft i strip the head if i try to apply more than 25in/lbs of torque.

I may also machine a rear tang for it too.

I have the same rifle and it shoots into 3/8ths to 1/2 Inch at 25 yards, it opens a little at 50 yards but not by much, this is a good gun. It is the black bull barrell. The trigger is also nice, once you get used to it. Have someone else shoot the gun and see what they can do with it. I could not be more happy with its performance out of the box. I will tinker with it of course as time moves on, we all do.

Reactions: Leezard
I have the same rifle and it shoots into 3/8ths to 1/2 Inch at 25 yards, it opens a little at 50 yards but not by much, this is a good gun. It is the black bull barrell. The trigger is also nice, once you get used to it. Have someone else shoot the gun and see what they can do with it. I could not be more happy with its performance out of the box. I will tinker with it of course as time moves on, we all do.
Unfortunately, for me, it isn't a shooter problem or ammo. I've had multiple shooters far better than me try. Going to see how much a tunner helps it

I should have asked for an RMA when I saw how loose the gun was in the stock. But I didn't. So... now it is being bedded, and ill experiment to make it a shooter

Last edited:
I am sorry to hear that. Try Sk rifle match, I am astounded how well this ammo prints.

Wow. Sounds like these are so inconsistent between quality of guns.

So is the inside of the stock pretty flimsy? Wonder how it compares to the magpul or victor titan stocks (rigidity)... personally I like the handling of the BXR002 stock when I handled one in the gun store.
Also is the barrel threaded into the receiver or can you swap out the barrel for a Kidd barrel pretty easy?

Wow. Sounds like these are so inconsistent between quality of guns.

So is the inside of the stock pretty flimsy? Wonder how it compares to the magpul or victor titan stocks (rigidity)... personally I like the handling of the BXR002 stock when I handled one in the gun store.
Also is the barrel threaded into the receiver or can you swap out the barrel for a Kidd barrel pretty easy?
Barrel is threaded into the receiver.

I felt the stock was too light and I wanted more structure when I drilled it for a riser. I had some 2 part 15lb foam and it worked great to fill the stock.

Reactions: Frankr
The trigger pull on bergara is not adjustable, it is around 3 pounds and very smooth. I have had one for a period of time and it is an excellent rifle with accurate performance.

I put a MCarbo trigger return spring in, polished the sear and the trigger pull is now 1 lb 10oz... A little bit of creep before the release, but nicer than the stock pull that was about 3 lb. It went down to 2 lb 8oz with polishing. The MCarbo spring made a big difference, though it was tricky to install as the plunger doesn't have a tail and the spring is the same length of the hole in the back of the trigger guard.

BXR is shooting better now, polishing the recoil guide rod made a big difference in reducing stoppages.

Update Feb 12 - started getting failures to fire with light primer strikes, dropped in a Kidd bolt and that didn't help. Replaced trigger group with a Ruger and light strikes stopped.

Ed

Last edited:
I purchased the BXR carbon 4 months ago as a backup for steel challenge matches. I had FTF and FTE problems from the beginning. Like many others the magazines did not drop reliably. I sanded the inside of the stock with minimal results. I loved the accuracy but of course reliability was an issue. I ordered a Kidd single stage and during installation, that should have been drop in, was not. A friend had a Hogue 10/22 stock in the basement and we installed it. The trigger dropped in without problems. The gun has run 100% with federal and civil select and mini mag. I now have 3000 rounds without issues. This my go to gun as the Volquartsen just sits.

I purchased the BXR carbon 4 months ago as a backup for steel challenge matches. I had FTF and FTE problems from the beginning. Like many others the magazines did not drop reliably. I sanded the inside of the stock with minimal results. I loved the accuracy but of course reliability was an issue. I ordered a Kidd single stage and during installation, that should have been drop in, was not. A friend had a Hogue 10/22 stock in the basement and we installed it. The trigger dropped in without problems. The gun has run 100% with federal and civil select and mini mag. I now have 3000 rounds without issues. This my go to gun as the Volquartsen just sits.
But for a $600 "competition ready" 10/22 clone you shouldn't have had to do any of that

I guess you can view it that way. I competed in USPSA single stack and Limited with heavily modified guns. Never really thought the standard colt or STI was what I wanted. Certainly the triggers, safeties, magwells and grips were replaced. Meanwhile I love my BXR.

was looking at getting one of these.

Anyone know if these are compatible with standard 10/22 barrels and other 10/22 parts?

was going to dress up my 10/22 but it would be cheaper to just get one of these.

i see people arent a fan of the bergara magazine. Anyone have any experience with the ruger 25rd mags?

eta: anyone shoot one of these suppressed? if so, any issues?

was looking at getting one of these.

Anyone know if these are compatible with standard 10/22 barrels and other 10/22 parts?

was going to dress up my 10/22 but it would be cheaper to just get one of these.

i see people arent a fan of the bergara magazine. Anyone have any experience with the ruger 25rd mags?

eta: anyone shoot one of these suppressed? if so, any issues?
I bought one of the carbon barreled guns thinking it would be ready to rock, misfires, poor cycling, trigger sucks, mags suck, as a result I have put in the kidde complete bolt setup including the guide rod, spring etc, put in a kidde 2 stage trigger, now the gun is awesome, shoots even cheap ammo very well, I have shot it in nrl when the weather is good, my favorite activity is shooting prairie dogs suppressed, no misfires, no excuses, gives new meaning to getting a little head. Don't expect $1500 gun fun out of a $600 gun.

I bought one of the carbon barreled guns thinking it would be ready to rock, misfires, poor cycling, trigger sucks, mags suck, as a result I have put in the kidde complete bolt setup including the guide rod, spring etc, put in a kidde 2 stage trigger, now the gun is awesome, shoots even cheap ammo very well, I have shot it in nrl when the weather is good, my favorite activity is shooting prairie dogs suppressed, no misfires, no excuses, gives new meaning to getting a little head. Don't expect $1500 gun fun out of a $600 gun.

welp...that sucks. was looking for something ready to go out of the box from the BXR. guess ill pass on it and just upgrade a 10/22 instead.

poor cycling, trigger sucks, mags suck...sounds like the one I had...
built my own...
Volq. takedown CF barrel ,brownells bolt and receiver ,kidd springs, BXtrigger, Magpul backpacker stock.
super reliable and accurate although I haven't printed any groups with premium ammo
red dot dogs to 100yds

I bought the carbon model yesterday and I will use it for steel challenge matches. Looks cool is light, anything else can be fixed easy enough. The platform is simple and I have tons of 10/22 parts in the shop. I have bolt-action rifles setup for accuracy. The semi-autos just need to be reliable, reasonably accurate and SEXY! 😀 I love me a tricked out 10/22. I have a bunch of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: GimpyGolden
can you describe the issues with the drop in from Kidd, I have a bergara metal barrell and was toying with the idea of a Kidd trigger assembly.

can you describe the issues with the drop in from Kidd, I have a bergara metal barrell and was toying with the idea of a Kidd trigger assembly.
Everything Kidd dropped in just like it was a Ruger or other copycat. I had problems until I put in the complete bolt plus guide rod.

Interesting, I replaced the bold and guide rod and spring and and bolt stop and had great results with the Kidd replacements. What happend when you tried to replace the trigger with the KIDD assembly?

Interesting, I replaced the bold and guide rod and spring and and bolt stop and had great results with the Kidd replacements. What happend when you tried to replace the trigger with the KIDD assembly?
same, just drop it in like a Ruger. I did the extended bolt release too

I got a BXR last spring. I too had some feeding problems but they went away after 500+ rounds. I now have a Victor Titan Universal Cheekrest and a Kidd 2 stage trigger set at 6oz. Performance is much better and the accuracy has improved. I have shot a lot of different ammo through it. Mine prefers Eley Semiauto Benchrest Precision and Eley Semiauto Benchrest Outlaw.

Reactions: cbbryan
Anyone have a compatibility list of parts for the BXR? I can't really find any info other than "some parts" and the magazines.

This will be my first build of a 10/22 platform.. I got a good deal on the BXR so that is set. I don't want to make the same (not really mistakes) with my SA PRS setup when I built that. I would say it's hard to compare the quality of parts compare to a stock 10/22.

What we you guys do with a BXR to get the most accuracy and operation out of it? Just hoping all this parts are interchangeable. If not, might as well start over.

Kidd stuff:
Bolt is $110
Springs and rods $40
Firing Pin $27
Extractor $12
Buffer $6
Total $195

Bolt release $12

Good Barrel $200-400. Looking at Kidd, Ferr, I love Proof barrels but they are about double the cost.

Kidd Trigger Unit $318
or
Kidd Trigger Upgrade $115

Stocks: Pretty much only one option is seems.. The BXR seems to have a decent stock on it.

Thanks,
Steve

Anyone have a compatibility list of parts for the BXR? I can't really find any info other than "some parts" and the magazines.

This will be my first build of a 10/22 platform.. I got a good deal on the BXR so that is set. I don't want to make the same (not really mistakes) with my SA PRS setup when I built that. I would say it's hard to compare the quality of parts compare to a stock 10/22.

What we you guys do with a BXR to get the most accuracy and operation out of it? Just hoping all this parts are interchangeable. If not, might as well start over.

Kidd stuff:
Bolt is $110
Springs and rods $40
Firing Pin $27
Extractor $12
Buffer $6
Total $195

Bolt release $12

Good Barrel $200-400. Looking at Kidd, Ferr, I love Proof barrels but they are about double the cost.

Kidd Trigger Unit $318
or
Kidd Trigger Upgrade $115

Stocks: Pretty much only one option is seems.. The BXR seems to have a decent stock on it.

Thanks,
Steve
Man won't be much Bergara left lol. I know your list up to Buffer will work. Bolt release as I understand it is already "Auto Release" type.
What 10/22 barrels can a BXR accept if one wanted to swap. I know it is threaded receiver but can it also except a "V-Block" style barrel?

I am loving the looks of this rifle too but discouraged by some of the thread comments. I realize forums are usually full of posts of guys having trouble. So maybe for every rifle in here giving poor results there are 10x as many out there that shoot. I try to be optimistic.

Reactions: chickon1
Man won't be much Bergara left lol. I know your list up to Buffer will work. Bolt release as I understand it is already "Auto Release" type.
What 10/22 barrels can a BXR accept if one wanted to swap. I know it is threaded receiver but can it also except a "V-Block" style barrel?

I am loving the looks of this rifle too but discouraged by some of the thread comments. I realize forums are usually full of posts of guys having trouble. So maybe for every rifle in here giving poor results there are 10x as many out there that shoot. I try to be optimistic.
I will let you know once I get it in my hands. I already ordered a Kidd bolt kit and charging handle spring kit. If all else fails, I will go with a kidd action and barrel combo. I'm used to shooting my custom T1X which shoots under 1 MOA all day @ 100. Pretty sure I will not get those results but if I can get around 1-1.5 MOA, I would be happy with a semi auto.

From what I have seen, most reviews are with the carbon barrel, some say the SS barrel is more accurate but who knows.

Spend a little bit more for peace of mind
Kidd& volquartsen

So after a month for 2 day fedex shipping, finally got this thing today. I can tell you first off, if you go and shoot this without taking it completely apart and running a bottle of brake cleaner through it, that may be your problem. It has some heavy assembly lube and oil on it and mine was kinda gunked up. Barrel and action is definitely proprietary. Has kind of a kidd super grade type barrel fixture. Not sure if it is threaded in there or not. Others said it is so I believe them.
Mag is tight, but I think that is due to the stock. Stock is ok but has some good flex in it. Trigger doesn't fell like 3.5 lbs (less) but you can definitely feel the plastic flex in the parts. Not horrible though.

I will go shoot it stock, then throw some kidds stuff in it, ( bolt, springs and trigger) new stock, see if it makes any difference.

Coming from over seas I am not surprised it is well lubed up for the salty trip.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts after your shoot.

For what I want from one of these I can live with even 2minute group if it's reliable. Be more a rifle for friends/kids and new people to have a pull.
>1moa would be nice but I'll have other rifles for that, like a B14-R I am building up bits for.

I’ve had mine for 9 months and am very impressed with everything about it. I did break it down and thoroughly clean and lightly oil it and rum SK, Eley, Wolf and CenterX primarily through it. They all perform very well with SK match leading by a hair. In June of last year, minimal reviews were out there and most complaints based on the mag not dropping out but after you’ve dropped the mag 8-10 times, it drops free and no longer sticks. I have 1300 rounds through it and it’s been flawless and is a tac driver. I rotate this rifle amount 2 others during NRL22 matches and enjoy shooting it. I topped mine with the Riton 6-24x and it’s just incredible. I don’t see any need to change out stock parts at this time and will continue to run it stock. Cheers

I got lucky with the kidd bolt I guess.. Shipped about a month early.. I can get the before and after now.

Picked up my BXR yesterday. Sure enough the Bergara mag would not drop free even after 10+ reps. Turned out that rear plate was 0.011” wider then on the Ruger. Five minutes with a sanding block and problem solved.

OFG

Picked up my BXR yesterday. Sure enough the Bergara mag would not drop free even after 10+ reps. Turned out that rear plate was 0.011” wider then on the Ruger. Five minutes with a sanding block and problem solved.

OFG
Glad you got one. I didn’t sand mine, just popped them in and out while burning 200-300 rounds and it drops free now. Keep us posted with your thoughts on the rifle. I love mine and hopeful yours will be flawless too.

Reactions: 07SGT4623
Finally got to the range today. Loaded 7 Ruger brand and the included Bergara mag with CCI SV. All the Ruger mags were flawless. With Bergara mag, last round FTF. Could be due improper re-assembly by me. Will revisit that.
CCI SV not going to be competitive. Sure the thread protector working loose didn’t help. Will do ammo testing next week.
Trigger is very much like a double/single action. Much better then the Ruger 10/22 OEM trigger, good but not great. When allowed to just reset all together different - much better. If it could be tuned for the “single action” pull all the time the two stage KIDD would not be incoming.

OFG

Reactions: Gunnie88
Finally got to the range today. Loaded 7 Ruger brand and the included Bergara mag with CCI SV. All the Ruger mags were flawless. With Bergara mag, last round FTF. Could be due improper re-assembly by me. Will revisit that.
CCI SV not going to be competitive. Sure the thread protector working loose didn’t help. Will do ammo testing next week.
Trigger is very much like a double/single action. Much better then the Ruger 10/22 OEM trigger, good but not great. When allowed to just reset all together different - much better. If it could be tuned for the “single action” pull all the time the two stage KIDD would not be incoming.

OFG
Cool! You’ll be amazed running some match ammo through it. I did put a dot of clear nail polish on the threads to keep mine from backing off. Haven’t decided if I want to put a can on yet, probably not.

Cool! You’ll be amazed running some match ammo through it. I did put a dot of clear nail polish on the threads to keep mine from backing off. Haven’t decided if I want to put a can on yet, probably not.
Degrease & nail polish or blue Loctite will do the trick, thanks. Looking forward to running some Wolf Match Extra, SK LR, Eley Match, & Tenx. want to wait for the KIDD trigger but probably won’t be able to hold out.

OFG

Reactions: Gunnie88