• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara BXR

Short answer: keep the Competition, skip the BXR002.

I don't recall if I posted this already, but I took out the 10/22 Competition with CCI Green Tag to see if it would play well as CCI SV Training Ammo, and CCI Green Tag Match Ammo, and the green tag performed really well. It's probably my go to match ammo / $ for the CCI Competition.

I had a bad experience with CCI green tag 2 years ago. Any random lot of CCI SV would outperform it in my Savage B22 SV-SR. I decided if I was going to spend that much on 22LR ammo, I'd just go with a better brand.

I had a bad experience with CCI green tag 2 years ago. Any random lot of CCI SV would outperform it in my Savage B22 SV-SR. I decided if I was going to spend that much on 22LR ammo, I'd just go with a better brand.

Yeh I thought the same thing too. Maybe I got lucky with this lot, but the Ruger Competition likes it a lot. I also assume that since Ruger and CCI partnered up on some branding and stuff for their latest launches maybe they did a little coordination to make their new match barrels play well.

I had a guy next to me with a stock 10/22 ($225) shoot 1" groups with CCI SV @ 100 yards and I was like daaamn. What a lucky lot / pairing with that rifle.

Hello,
I was curious what ammo would shoot well out of the BXR, so I emailed Bergara. See below

"Clint,

We test our rifles with CCI standard velocity ammunition.

Thank You,

Oliver Botts
Customer Service Rep
BPI Outdoors

These commodities, technology or software were exported from the United States in accordance

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, September 30, 2019 12:18 AM
To: contact <[email protected]>
Subject: New Contact by "Clint"

Contact Form from: https://www.bergara.online:443/us/contact/

Hello
I am picking up my new BXR carbon barreled rifle next week. Can you give me recommendations as which ammo worked well in your testing? I'm very excited to take it out and see how great it is.
Thank you
Clint"

I just picked up a Bergara BXR 001 for $499 and have not had it to the range yet.

Couple of questions if any knows the answers.

1. the stock has matching dimples on either side...indicating a possibility of an add on adjustable cheek riser???

2. the rear of receiver has some drilled holes with the center one tapped...I'm guessing maybe a fastening point for a rear mounting lug???

Been waiting for Bergara to release a bolt 22lr for what seems like forever. I truly hope it’s been worth the wait and can hang with other high end trainers out there. I love my B-14’s and if it’s anything like them, the out of the box price/performance/features are a bargain

214A1CF1-C921-4568-9F06-BBC9FE735DE2.jpeg
5AF2C1F6-D257-4BC1-A55E-7FB9A0782600.jpeg
214A1CF1-C921-4568-9F06-BBC9FE735DE2.jpeg
5AF2C1F6-D257-4BC1-A55E-7FB9A0782600.jpeg

Been waiting for Bergara to release a bolt 22lr for what seems like forever. I truly hope it’s been worth the wait and can hang with other high end trainers out there. I love my B-14’s and if it’s anything like them, the out of the box price/performance/features are a bargain
Bergara said they hope to be shipping their B14-R bolt action trainer rifle in December!!. I already have one on backorder

Any more range reports? Especially with the CF barreled ones?

Local store has one and it's tempting but for a little more you can get a kidd and drop it in a hogue

Any more range reports? Especially with the CF barreled ones?

Local store has one and it's tempting but for a little more you can get a kidd and drop it in a hogue

I've had mine a couple months, and told myself today was the day I was going to shoot it for the first time today. Looks like the day slipped away again. Mine does have the cf barrel. Will report back when I shoot it.

I have the BXR with CF barrel. After 1000 rounds, it's not very accurate. First off, get a Ruger mag because the Bergara ones don't work very well; ftf on the last round was common. Second, replace the buffer pin with an aftermarket one, as they self destruct after a few hundred rounds.

I admit I haven't tried every brand of ammo and as I don't compete, I don't use match grade. Every rimfire rifle I own out shoots the Bergara. It shoots 3/4 - 1" at 50 and completely falls apart at 100. I don't shoot it much lately; I bought a CZ 457 PV and it's been a tack driver from the start.

The BXR CF is a cool looking rifle, it's light, shoots minute of fat squirrel at 50 yds and I really like the stock. It will be a carry around rifle.

Hopefully mine is an outlier and most will be ok. There's reports of CZ 457's that fall short but mine is great. It seems rimfires can be a crap shoot.

I have the BXR with CF barrel. After 1000 rounds, it's not very accurate. First off, get a Ruger mag because the Bergara ones don't work very well; ftf on the last round was common. Second, replace the buffer pin with an aftermarket one, as they self destruct after a few hundred rounds.

I admit I haven't tried every brand of ammo and as I don't compete, I don't use match grade. Every rimfire rifle I own out shoots the Bergara. It shoots 3/4 - 1" at 50 and completely falls apart at 100. I don't shoot it much lately; I bought a CZ 457 PV and it's been a tack driver from the start.

The BXR CF is a cool looking rifle, it's light, shoots minute of fat squirrel at 50 yds and I really like the stock. It will be a carry around rifle.

Hopefully mine is an outlier and most will be ok. There's reports of CZ 457's that fall short but mine is great. It seems rimfires can be a crap shoot.

That sucks. I like everything about the gun I handled in the gunstore but if is shoots like crap then adding a 200.00 Kidd barrel makes buying it dumb.

Id been looking forward to just picking one up but looks like the little more ill spend on custom seems to be the route to go

When these were first released I was pretty optimistic since most Bergara rifles seem to be shooters. I though about buying one of the steel barreled rifles for my wife. After hearing about all the magazine and accuracy issues I’m defiantly going to wait until they get the bugs worked out or just build one myself. It does seem like all the accuracy issues are reported with the CF models. Does anyone have some accuracy reports on the steel barrels? There may have been some on here that I just missed. Maybe Bergara has the center fire barrels figured out but just can’t master the rimfire barrel.

When these were first released I was pretty optimistic since most Bergara rifles seem to be shooters. I though about buying one of the steel barreled rifles for my wife. After hearing about all the magazine and accuracy issues I’m defiantly going to wait until they get the bugs worked out or just build one myself. It does seem like all the accuracy issues are reported with the CF models. Does anyone have some accuracy reports on the steel barrels? There may have been some on here that I just missed. Maybe Bergara has the center fire barrels figured out but just can’t master the rimfire barrel.

not that this proved much but at my local gun store with the BXR 002 (cf) i struggled to get the Bergara magazines out of the action but once I had them swap to ruger magazines (10 round and 15 round) those issues went away and they dropped out freely

Yeah, I’ve heard almost universally that the Begara magazines suck. All reports say to toss them and get Ruger magazines.

I have shot several boxes through my BRX02 now, I have a suppressor on it and with Wolf it will shoot 10 shots you can cover with a dime at 35 yards rapid fire. I started having misfires and failure to feed until I gave it a bath in an air gun spray lube, I think it is TSR something or another. Cleaner and lube, the crap trigger is smoothing out as well.

The Aquila boxed Eley Prime shoot well too.

I have shot several boxes through my BRX02 now, I have a suppressor on it and with Wolf it will shoot 10 shots you can cover with a dime at 35 yards rapid fire. I started having misfires and failure to feed until I gave it a bath in an air gun spray lube, I think it is TSR something or another. Cleaner and lube, the crap trigger is smoothing out as well.

The Aquila boxed Eley Prime shoot well too.

Good to know. Any 50 yard 5 shot groups?

Not yet, I hope to get some longer range time this weekend, my job interferes with my play time, I have some more ammo samples coming today

Got to do some shooting the weekend, Wolf is by far the best performer, the Aguila Eley maked boxes are very erratic and really gum up the action with the suppressor, many feeding issues with the Aguila Eley ammo. The Wolf is made by Eley as well however the difference is day and night. I am only using the Ruger magazines as the Bergara is wider at the ends and doesn't drop without help.

Looks like a really good lube will be essential at least until it gets some wear. It is hard to tell just where the lube is needed, I use a spray cleaner/lube combination that I have I think it is TSR 301 or something like that. It isn't gummy or sticky.

I just picked up a Bergara BXR 001 for $499 and have not had it to the range yet.

Couple of questions if any knows the answers.

1. the stock has matching dimples on either side...indicating a possibility of an add on adjustable cheek riser???

2. the rear of receiver has some drilled holes with the center one tapped...I'm guessing maybe a fastening point for a rear mounting lug???

the answers from someone knowledgeable of the BXR design

Let's see the .22 rifles that make you smile

Any other range reports on the BXR 001 or 002? They cant all be bad right?

Any other range reports on the BXR 001 or 002? They cant all be bad right?
I have one that shoots bug holes, it is picky about feeding, too many failures to feed standard velocity ammo, been windy and cold so I have put it on hold, I can spray it down with an air gun light lube spray and it works for a magazine or 2, hoping it will break in and act right. Also going to try the TCR magazines, I really wish it had a bolt lock mechanism, even the TCR mags don't lock it back when empty. The trigger is horrible as well. It will shoot a heck of good group at 50 and 100 though. But then so will my Savage MarkII that I have many $$$ less in.

I have one that shoots bug holes, it is picky about feeding, too many failures to feed standard velocity ammo, been windy and cold so I have put it on hold, I can spray it down with an air gun light lube spray and it works for a magazine or 2, hoping it will break in and act right. Also going to try the TCR magazines, I really wish it had a bolt lock mechanism, even the TCR mags don't lock it back when empty. The trigger is horrible as well. It will shoot a heck of good group at 50 and 100 though. But then so will my Savage MarkII that I have many $$$ less in.
Carbon fiber or steel barrel?

Another update, I took the time today to disassemble my gun and give it a good cleaning and try to find why it has feeding issues. The gun is the BXR2 carbon fiber, I have fired less than 500 rounds through it all suppressed.

The action was pretty nasty as expected with all the lubes I have tried plus blowback, When I pulled the bolt out I found what looks like a small sheet of silicon pipe tape wedged under and to the rear of the bolt. I don't know if this was an intended friction thing or somehow by accident added. I find that the greatest amount of friction on recoil comes from the bolt handle sliding on the alignment rod. The bolt has a couple wear patterns between the bolt and the receiver, The buffer pin is showing some wear, looks like it would be good to have at least one for standby. I am anxious to give it another try when the freaking wind idles down.

Your buffer pin lasted longer than mine; it was toast by 500 rounds. The white sliver might be from the buffer pin; mine would shave off white flakes every time I took it in or out. I replaced it with an aftermarket pin for a 10/22 and it is much better than the factory one.

Have you tried a ruger mag? Switching solved all my feeding issues.

I'm glad yours shoots good, most of the BXR002's are mediocre at best. Mine is no exception.

Your buffer pin lasted longer than mine; it was toast by 500 rounds. The white sliver might be from the buffer pin; mine would shave off white flakes every time I took it in or out. I replaced it with an aftermarket pin for a 10/22 and it is much better than the factory one.

Have you tried a ruger mag? Switching solved all my feeding issues.

I'm glad yours shoots good, most of the BXR002's are mediocre at best. Mine is no exception.
This was like a piece of tape, I will look at the buffer pin. I use Ruger 10/22 mags already, I bought a couple of the T/C rotary mags to try, they will fall out when you release them no hesitation, they appear to be much better built but more expensive.

Reactions: Sgt47
Went with the Kidd buffer, recoil spring, rod and two stage trigger, it all works well, little tricky getting the recoil buffer and the recoil spring in,

The Kidd recoil spring rod, doesn't have a c clip on it like the Bergara did, just have to use forceps to keep the spring on the rod until you get it in place, drop the bolt back in and catch the bolt handle in the bolt. The recoil buffer takes some patience to feed it in behind the bolt then, you have to slide it in from the middle then put the metal rod inside of that, will see how long that lasts, as I used the lightest recoil spring.

It is possible the Teflon or silicon strip that was under the bolt could of been sheared from the recoil buffer, I don't see how it would be in one long strip though.

The t/c rotary magazines function well and almost jump out of the gun when released, much better than Ruger or Bergara.

I am getting lots of money tied up in this gun now.

I bought this BXR 001 in late January, after patiently waiting for them to become available.

"Mediocre at best", as Sgt47 described above, sums it up pretty well.
Mediocre accuracy, and mediocre functionality.

I think Bergara is headed in the right direction, but they need to pay closer attention to the
little details that make these rifles run smoothly and accurately.

I've done more than a few 10/22 builds, and then bought a Kidd Supergrade.
Told myself afterwards, "No more pissing around with 10/22 builds!"

I sold the BXR to a co-worker, this morning, ......

Last edited:
I bought this BXR 001 in late January, after patiently waiting for them to become available.

"Mediocre at best", as Sgt47 described above, sums it up pretty well.
Mediocre accuracy, and mediocre functionality.

I think Bergara is headed in the right direction, but they need to pay closer attention to the
little details that make these rifles run smoothly and accurately.

I've done more than a few 10/22 builds, and then bought a Kidd Supergrade.
Told myself afterwards, "No more pissing around with 10/22 builds!"

I sold the BXR to a co-worker, this morning, ......

I am almost in the same boat, installed the Kidd recoil buffer, guide rod and spring set, 2 stage Kidd trigger, now the Kidd bolt. I still have a nice Bergara stock and carbon fiber barrel...

Reactions: jeronimo
I am almost in the same boat, installed the Kidd recoil buffer, guide rod and spring set, 2 stage Kidd trigger, now the Kidd bolt. I still have a nice Bergara stock and carbon fiber barrel...
Does the barrel shoot any better with the kidd bolt?

btw if you ever think about selling the stock IM me:cool:

Does the barrel shoot any better with the kidd bolt?

btw if you ever think about selling the stock IM me:cool:

there have been no issues with the barrel not shooting well, it is the failures to feed and the misfires that suck. It appears the kidd bolt has fixed the feeding issue. Time will tell.

Reactions: jondickenson
Been doing some research but can't find an answer. Is the trigger pull adjustable on the BXR? Anyone shooting any good groups with these guns?

Been doing some research but can't find an answer. Is the trigger pull adjustable on the BXR? Anyone shooting any good groups with these guns?
I have been shooting the BXR001 with excellent groups, but failure to feed is an issue, and I had what I think was an out of battery miss fire.

Reactions: slickalaus12
I have one now. I haven't been able to put together great groups, though I haven't shot it too much yet and the trigger is alot different than on my t1x. Glad to hear you have a shooter! As you may have seen around the forum, it's possible a Ruger 10/22 magazine will solve most of your failure to feed issues. I have only ran cci SV out of mine, and it doesn't jam often.

I have one now. I haven't been able to put together great groups, though I haven't shot it too much yet and the trigger is alot different than on my t1x. Glad to hear you have a shooter! As you may have seen around the forum, it's possible a Ruger 10/22 magazine will solve most of your failure to feed issues. I have only ran cci SV out of mine, and it doesn't jam often.
Thank you I did exactly that, and better, the bence barrel is very tight which is what I think the ftf problem is about.