• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara BXR

BigRed308

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2019
Bergara just released a 10/22 footprint 22lr. Seems to be a much better option to the Ruger competition series at the same price point. Hopefully the barrels are also 10/22 compatible. Bergara is selling this rifle as a comm ground to the “featureless mass produced rifles and over the top boutique rifles.” Estimated release is end of summer.

Honestly, I was hoping they were releasing something more feature packed. In my opinion, it's "Just another 10/22 clone". I have no gripe with 10/22's at all and it's great to have options but this doesn't seem much different than something we could build on our own with a 10/22 or clone action. Maybe the price point is killer but in my opinion, it will have to be at a very very good price point for it to provide any benefit over a home built 10/22 where we can pick and choose the exact parts we want.

Like I said though, I love seeing new options and it's great that companies are putting out new products, but this is one that I wouldn't chalk up too much as a new rimfire innovation.

Reactions: dump
I agree it is not as innovative as we would all like. I do enjoy another stock option for the 10/22 however. I believe I read that Bergara said this would be the first of a large line of BXRs. I like the trigger group design with the magazine release-maybe we will get lucky and see these offered individually, probably not though. I also can’t see the triggers being on par with a kidd maybe a box-trigger.

I think the price point all depends on how it shoots. If it produces regular 10/22 groups it’ll be a flop.

Another big factor I mentioned above is whether the barrels are standard 10/22 pattern.

Reactions: bmicek
Yeah. Those "regular 10/22 groups" are a bitch. ?

You're a lucky one. I had an all weather 10/22 that was deemed unrepairable by ruger when the finish started to peel about a week after getting it. They sent me a heavy barreled as a replacement. It shoots around an inch at best at 50 yards, very disappointed. Now it sets in the back of the safe while the CZ goes to work.

You're a lucky one. I had an all weather 10/22 that was deemed unrepairable by ruger when the finish started to peel about a week after getting it. They sent me a heavy barreled as a replacement. It shoots around an inch at best at 50 yards, very disappointed. Now it sets in the back of the safe while the CZ goes to work.
Sell the heavy barrel. Get a feddersen, green mountain or Kidd. Be happy.

Sell the heavy barrel. Get a feddersen, green mountain or Kidd. Be happy.
At that point, I’ll be ditching the factory receiver and parts as well. Considered a kids barreled action or a Kidd receiver with a custom barrel. GM or Proof maybe

Reactions: texasplinker
I'll provide some feedback on the Proof 10/22 barrel soon. Hopefully it'll ship this week. But the Proof will be hard pressed to beat the (two) stainless Feddersen bull barrels I own.

I'll provide some feedback on the Proof 10/22 barrel soon. Hopefully it'll ship this week. But the Proof will be hard pressed to beat the (two) stainless Feddersen bull barrels I own.
Please keep me posted!

Don’t mean to turn this into a Proof thread but I have one on my Vudoo and it’s a 0.25” shooter on average at 50 yards. Many groups in the 0.1’s and 0.2’s but rarely shoots over 1/2”. Not sure what it’s capable of with the high dollar ammo, I’ve just been shooting SK Pistol Match.

Very interested too. Just mounted a Kidd LW barrel this week and can't wait to see what this will do.

As to the Bergara....... How cross compatible is it to the 10-22?

Also how close do Bergara's run to MSRP?

The lightweight gun is 659.00 so what will that be sold for?

I've heard a lot of good things about Proof barrels. That's why I ordered their 10/22 barrel as soon as it was available (exactly 2 months ago today). I've also heard good things about Bergaras too. I'll likely end up with one the BXR002 (carbon fiber barreled) rifles relatively early. I'm collecting way too many 22 rifles.

As to the Bergara....... How cross compatible is it to the 10-22?

I don't think anyone can answer that for sure, but I suspect that it'll be like many of the other 10/22 clones (i.e. T/CR22) out there and allow trigger, barrel, stock, etc. swaps within reason.

The lightweight gun is 659.00 so what will that be sold for?

I've got a pre-order price of $549.86 for the BXR002, but that may not be the normal "street price".

I asked bergara on social media if the barrels were compatible and they liked my question...for whatever that is worth. Seems like a yes, but a simple “yes” I’m writing would’ve worked better.

I guess it’s cheaper than collecting .375s or 50 BMG.

Hell I got into 22s because it was cheaper to shoot more, now it’s the same cost since I can’t have just one rifle.

Reactions: rj112275
I have an issue believing it. They would have to create there own accessories, since we are a demanding culture that can’t leave anything alone, or keep the 10/22 footprint. Volquartsen did the latter and I’m not sure how well it’s gone for them. You don’t see many summits around nor much word about them.

I've heard a lot of good things about Proof barrels. That's why I ordered their 10/22 barrel as soon as it was available (exactly 2 months ago today). I've also heard good things about Bergaras too. I'll likely end up with one the BXR002 (carbon fiber barreled) rifles relatively early. I'm collecting way too many 22 rifles.

I don't think anyone can answer that for sure, but I suspect that it'll be like many of the other 10/22 clones (i.e. T/CR22) out there and allow trigger, barrel, stock, etc. swaps within reason.

I've got a pre-order price of $549.86 for the BXR002, but that may not be the normal "street price".

May I ask where you found that pre-order price or is that a private deal? I'd pre-order one in a heartbeat for that

Got an email quote from:

Requested it again and got the same price. But unless you order $600 worth, they add $25 shipping.

Got an email quote from:

Requested it again and got the same price. But unless you order $600 worth, they add $25 shipping.

Thank you kind sir! Guess I'll have to find some 50 dollar item to get to 600. I'd just get ammo but I don't think it counts towards the free shipping threshold

Edit: So i received the same quote, but I can't actually place a pre-order. Guess I'll have to wait until it hits the shelves

lmg412,

I didn't actually attempt to place the order yet as street price might vary. I just called Whittaker Guns to see what their price will be on the BXR002: $554 + $9.99 shipping. So while the GA Gun Store price is decent, I don't think I'd preorder it at that price given the shipping cost. Whittaker's isn't taking preorders for the BXR either. They got burnt (reputation-wise) on the Tikki T1X preorders.

Billmeek, I gotcha. My FFL guy sources some items and he checked with his distributors and they have no ETA for getting them in stock. Their price for the bxr001 is $475-480 so $550 for the bxr002 sounds about right. He's checking on that and hopefully one of them will take my pre-order

For 550, I’ll be hard pressed to not pick one up if they shoot like my hmr does, and cheaper than upgrading the shit out of my 10/22’s. I guess time will tell once they start shipping

Just talked to Bergara, was told the release date was late summer or fall. I asked if Sept 15 was
about the time. The reply was maybe a bit later. I am waiting on this as the price of the Proof
barrel is a turn off.

Here’s a question. Would you rather know about a product and wait until it’s release, say announce it in April at shot and not release it until September/October. Or would you like to know about the product in September and have it available a week or so later?

Here’s a question. Would you rather know about a product and wait until it’s release, say announce it in April at shot and not release it until September/October. Or would you like to know about the product in September and have it available a week or so later?
I am glad to have the info. Helps me make a better informed decision. In my case it is to build with the Proof barrel or
just buy a Bergara with the carbon fiber barrel. Leaning to the wait as the Proof barrel is way to expensive for me.

Any of the usual YouTube or gun writers get their hands on one yet?

I would rather it be released at or shortly after announcement. I hate anticipation, and then dealing with timeline changes because gun and gun part manufacturers are always running behind schedule.

Reactions: BigRed308
Just saw a post today that these are shipping now.

Thanks for the post. Ordered one to try out. I paid a little bit more ($585.03 plus have to add $35 TN tax and transfer) than the quoted price earlier in this thread, but I'm impatient and have waited long enough for it to even be avaiable.

Thanks for the post. Ordered one to try out. I paid a little bit more ($585.03 plus have to add $35 TN tax and transfer) than the quoted price earlier in this thread, but I'm impatient and have waited long enough for it to even be avaiable.

Bill you also have the Competition 10/22 right? I'd be curious how they compare.

Well, I picked up the Bergara BXR002 from the local FFL late Monday afternoon and because of work, didn’t take it out of the box until yesterday. It’s very light-weight, has a good feel to the stock, and the trigger is decent, but not great. According to my Lyman digital trigger pull gauge it’s a little under 2 and half pounds ranging from 2 pounds 4.2 ounces to 2 pounds 7.9 ounces over 10 test pulls. Note that I’ve become a bit of a “trigger snob” spoiled with the Kidd 2-stage triggers on my other 10/22 rifles. In all likelihood I’ll be ordering Kidd 2-stage triggers for this and the Ruger Competition soon.

I probably won’t get a chance to shoot it in the next couple of days because:
1) Work is getting in the way.
2) I sold off the scope I had planned on testing with it and ordered another Midas TAC (2 of them actually) from Doug at CameraLandNY to mount on it. By the way, I found out that Doug is now carrying the Burris XTR Signature rings that I prefer to use with my scopes and has a better price than I’ve been paying. From now on, I’ll just be ordering the rings with my scopes.

I initially had an issue with the magazine hanging both on insertion and removal. Thinking it could be the Bergara branded mag, I tried one of my known-good Ruger mags and had the same issue. If the mag does hang, using the finger cut-out at the front of the mag doesn’t help as any rearward pressure makes the mag bind worse. Easiest way to get the mag free is to put your thumb in the middle of the bottom of the mag and apply a slight forward pressure and the mag will drop free. Forcing in the mag and removing it well over 50 times has significantly reduced the issue to where the mags are mostly dropping freely now.

One thought is that the carbon fiber version is so light that it might not be optimal for NRL22. I’ve found that heavier rifles work better for me on barricades / prone. I do think it’d be excellent for hunting though. We’ll have to see how it performs.

The new scope is scheduled to arrive Saturday so hopefully I’ll have some more information from shooting available over the weekend.

Bergara_BXR002.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I picked up the Bergara BXR002 from the local FFL late Monday afternoon and because of work, didn’t take it out of the box until yesterday. It’s very light-weight, has a good feel to the stock, and the trigger is decent, but not great. According to my Lyman digital trigger pull gauge it’s a little under 2 and half pounds ranging from 2 pounds 4.2 ounces to 2 pounds 7.9 ounces over 10 test pulls. Note that I’ve become a bit of a “trigger snob” spoiled with the Kidd 2-stage triggers on my other 10/22 rifles. In all likelihood I’ll be ordering Kidd 2-stage triggers for this and the Ruger Competition soon.

I probably won’t get a chance to shoot it in the next couple of days because:
1) Work is getting in the way.
2) I sold off the scope I had planned on testing with it and ordered another Midas TAC (2 of them actually) from Doug at CameraLandNY to mount on it. By the way, I found out that Doug is now carrying the Burris XTR Signature rings that I prefer to use with my scopes and has a better price than I’ve been paying. From now on, I’ll just be ordering the rings with my scopes.

I initially had an issue with the magazine hanging both on insertion and removal. Thinking it could be the Bergara branded mag, I tried one of my known-good Ruger mags and had the same issue. If the mag does hang, using the finger cut-out at the front of the mag doesn’t help as any rearward pressure makes the mag bind worse. Easiest way to get the mag free is to put your thumb in the middle of the bottom of the mag and apply a slight forward pressure and the mag will drop free. Forcing in the mag and removing it well over 50 times has significantly reduced the issue to where the mags are mostly dropping freely now.

One thought is that the carbon fiber version is so light that it might not be optimal for NRL22. I’ve found that heavier rifles work better for me on barricades / prone. I do think it’d be excellent for hunting though. We’ll have to see how it performs.

The new scope is scheduled to arrive Saturday so hopefully I’ll have some more information from shooting available over the weekend.

View attachment 7153788
Sweet. How does the stock feel?

Do you have the Victor company stock or magpul stock to compare it to?

Can’t wait to see if these can hang with a Kidd (looks like the triggers can’t). If the carbon fiber barreled ones shoot well and the stock is comfortable I might have to pick one up. But if they can’t shoot as good as a Kidd rifle or close then it’s too close in price imho.

Can’t wait to see if these can hang with a Kidd (looks like the triggers can’t). If the carbon fiber barreled ones shoot well and the stock is comfortable I might have to pick one up. But if they can’t shoot as good as a Kidd rifle or close then it’s too close in price imho.

I need an adjustable cheek rest, and hate slapping on neoprene foam, that's why I went with the 10/22 competition. The Victor stock with their cheek rest add-on is also a pretty solid stock.

Dimensions and shape are very similar to a Hogue over-molded stock. But rather than a rubber feel, it's smooth with some good texturing and has a slightly wider, flatter bottomed foregrip.

Yup. Kidd receiver and trigger, Proof research carbon fiber barrel, and Titan stock:
proof10-22_1-jpg.7100343

Kidd chassis, receiver, and trigger along with a Feddersen barrel:
kiddchassis04272019-jpg.7068591

I do have a Magpul stock that came on a T/CR 22 (10/22 clone), but the receiver has been the basis of a couple of builds and now looks like this:

wp_lite1022a-jpg.7109342

wp_lite1022b-jpg.7109343

Comparing this stock to the Kidd builds is not a fair comparison at this point. Both of those are heavier and better for NRL22 in my opinion... along with costing more. The folding-stock build was designed to keep the entire rifle lite to help with my arthritis when shooting positional stages. If it shoots well, the Bergara BXR002 could easily replace it.

Dimensions and shape are very similar to a Hogue over-molded stock. But rather than a rubber feel, it's smooth with some good texturing and has a slightly wider, flatter bottomed foregrip.

Yup. Kidd receiver and trigger, Proof research carbon fiber barrel, and Titan stock:
proof10-22_1-jpg.7100343

Kidd chassis, receiver, and trigger along with a Feddersen barrel:
kiddchassis04272019-jpg.7068591

I do have a Magpul stock that came on a T/CR 22 (10/22 clone), but the receiver has been the basis of a couple of builds and now looks like this:

wp_lite1022a-jpg.7109342

wp_lite1022b-jpg.7109343

Comparing this stock to the Kidd builds is not a fair comparison at this point. Both of those are heavier and better for NRL22 in my opinion... along with costing more. The folding-stock build was designed to keep the entire rifle lite to help with my arthritis when shooting positional stages. If it shoots well, the Bergara BXR002 could easily replace it.

Thanks for the detailed response.

How is your proof barrel shooting? I saw your initial review but haven’t seen any updates.

The Victor stock didn’t quiet fit me wel but the magpul fits much better. I would love one of the wood t-Rex stocks PWS used to make.

I hope Begara knocked it out of the park with this.

Thanks for the detailed response.

How is your proof barrel shooting? I saw your initial review but haven’t seen any updates.

The Victor stock didn’t quiet fit me wel but the magpul fits much better. I would love one of the wood t-Rex stocks PWS used to make.

I hope Begara knocked it out of the park with this.

! I just sold my t-rex stock that came with my PWS T3 Summit Rifle. I stuck my Summit Rifle into the Magpul. I'm looking for a nicer stock with adjustability for the T3 though for NRL22. Right now I'm using a KRG Bravo with a Tikka T1X, but I'd love to play with some high end stock for the PWS T3.

I get mine next Sunday. Found it at Riflegear in Fountain Valley. I'm really looking forward to it. I have been 10/22 shopping lately. Considered the Ruger competition, kidd, Volquartsen, tactical solutions, and tactical innovation. All had great offerings, but to me, this offered a great package for the price. I have not seen any groups from anyone yet. I would also like to hear what ammo is working in them. I was planning on starting with cci sv, and whatever else I have in my .22 ammo box.

! I just sold my t-rex stock that came with my PWS T3 Summit Rifle. I stuck my Summit Rifle into the Magpul. I'm looking for a nicer stock with adjustability for the T3 though for NRL22. Right now I'm using a KRG Bravo with a Tikka T1X, but I'd love to play with some high end stock for the PWS T3.

Dang it. A day late and dollar short.

How did you like the stock?

Reactions: 7strong