• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which rifle should I go for?

• Tikka

• Bergara

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Craigmcwill

Private
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2020
Hi all,

First of all, thanks for looking and this post. Any help would be appreciated!

I'm looking into getting a 6.5 creedmoor bolt action rifle which will be used mostly for target shooting with the very occasional trip out hunting with friends.

I've been really liking the look of the bergara premium series it looks amazing and I've heard very good things about bergara. I also really like the ability for aftermarket parts as its a rem700 footprint.

Where I am in the UK a bergara premium rifle and the tikka tac a1 both come in right around the £2000 mark. Obviously I have heard how good tikka rifles are but has anyone had experience with it against bergaras new upgraded family of rifles?

Also I looked into getting a custom rifle and starting from there but its looking like thats going to be around £1500 more than these two so I'm going to try and keep it to somewhere around the £2000 mark or less.

Once again I'd appreciate any input guys 👍

I’ve had the bergara, but haven’t had a tac a1.... but I do have 2 tikka t3x rifles and hands down they are nicer. The trigger is better, after a $10 spring. The bolt lift is better, and cycles better.

The bergara is a fine rifle, but IMO, the tikka edges jt slightly.

I’ve had the bergara, but haven’t had a tac a1.... but I do have 2 tikka t3x rifles and hands down they are nicer. The trigger is better, after a $10 spring. The bolt lift is better, and cycles better.

The bergara is a fine rifle, but IMO, the tikka edges jt slightly.
Was this the bergara premium or the b14 series that you had?

I’d take the Tikka any day of the week and twice on Sundays. Like spife7980 mentioned the Tikka has prefit barrels so you don’t have to pay for fitting if you ever change barrels.
Bergara has a recent history of bolt problems. They say they fixed the problems of firing pins blowing through and shattering bolt shrouds. If your new rifle was built before the changes were implemented you’ll probably want to get it fixed. I want to shoot my new rifles not send them for repair or shell out a hundred quid and fix them myself.
Congrats on your upcoming rifle 👍

I’d take the Tikka any day of the week and twice on Sundays. Like spife7980 mentioned the Tikka has prefit barrels so you don’t have to pay for fitting if you ever change barrels.
Bergara has a recent history of bolt problems. They say they fixed the problems of firing pins blowing through and shattering bolt shrouds. If your new rifle was built before the changes were implemented you’ll probably want to get it fixed. I want to shoot my new rifles not send them for repair or shell out a hundred quid and fix them myself.

i agree with you but would actually take it 3X on sundays

Thankyou very much buddy for the reply, do you know if this is also a problem on the premium rifle series or just the b14 series?

Reactions: jcmullis2
Thankyou very much buddy for the reply, do you know if this is also a problem on the premium rifle series or just the b14 series?
First let me say that I don’t know anything other than what’s on the web. I’m careful when it comes to explosions around my face and eyes so I made a point to share that information with you. I think if the actions are the same there’s a good chance of it having the same bolt. It would require some investigating to give you a good answer. I say that because I don’t want to be wrong and someone get hurt or worse. Before buying a Bergara I would make sure I knew all there is to know about that specific gun. If the information isn’t easily obtained I would simply buy something else.
I wanna add, There’s lots of guys that love Bergara and have never had a single problem.

Reactions: Craigmcwill
First let me say that I don’t know anything other than what’s on the web. I’m careful when it comes to explosions around my face and eyes so I made a point to share that information with you. I think if the actions are the same there’s a good chance of it having the same bolt. It would require some investigating to give you a good answer. I say that because I don’t want to be wrong and someone get hurt or worse. Before buying a Bergara I would make sure I knew all there is to know about that specific gun. If the information isn’t easily obtained I would simply buy something else.
I wanna add, There’s lots of guys that love Bergara and have never had a single problem.
Thankyou very much for the reply buddy I appreciate your input you make a very good point. Better safe than sorry my friend

I was tempted by both of your rifle choices. However, I had assigned myself a tight budget of $1,000 each for rifle and scope. Lots of research later, I chose the Bergara B14 HMR (6.5 Creedmoor) with a Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 scope. Many rounds later, I could not be happier with the Bergara. The bolt and shroud were changed out by my seller, which I found here on the Hide. As others above have said, the Tikka T3x TAC is great choice. My B14 is capable of shooting 1/4”- 1/2” groups at 100 yds, and my friend, I am not an elite shooter. Just a happy shooter! For myself, I would lean toward the HMR Pro, based on my experience only.

I was tempted by both of your rifle choices. However, I had assigned myself a tight budget of $1,000 each for rifle and scope. Lots of research later, I chose the Bergara B14 HMR (6.5 Creedmoor) with a Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 scope. Many rounds later, I could not be happier with the Bergara. As others above have said, the Tikka T3x TAC is great choice. My B14 is capable of shooting 1/4”- 1/2” groups at 100 yds, and my friend, I am not an elite shooter. Just a happy shooter! For myself, I would lean toward the HMR Pro, based on my experience only.
Thanks for the reply bud, have you had any experience with a tikka to compare it to?

Thanks for the reply bud, have you had any experience with a tikka to compare it to?
The Tikka bolt is smooth as glass, while the B14 HMR bolt is just very smooth. The Tikka looks and feels incredible, though I really prefer the Bergara stock and grip, and I really like my stock trigger, though I have ordered a Geissele Super 70. You can’t go wrong with either of your choices. If you were in Taos, I’d let you shoot my Bergara! Go in to a reputable gun shop that has both, and test all the parameters for yourself. They may even have rifles you can shoot. Call ahead to check.

I had a Bergara Premier 6.5CM that was my first intro into Precision Rifles. It was a great rifle with good features and it shot very well. Would shoot nice groups with factor ammo and stayed consistent past 1,000M. At the time, I didn't want a chassis style rifle. After shooting it for a year, I sold it and bought a Masterpiece Arms custom chassis style rifle.

There are several guys at my range that shoot the Tikka Tac A1 and it is a great rifle in a good chassis with a lot of upgrade options or you can simply shoot it out of the box. Go with the Tikka, especially since you are in the UK. Proximity of parts and upgrades seems to be more readily accessible.

IMG_0027.jpg

Thankyou very much everyone for your input! It's clear that the general consensus is that the tikka is the superior rifle. So on that i ask another question, do you all think the tikka tac is the best option or to go with a different tikka and drop it into a different chassis? Much appreciated guys 👍

Thankyou very much everyone for your input! It's clear that the general consensus is that the tikka is the superior rifle. So on that i ask another question, do you all think the tikka tac is the best option or to go with a different tikka and drop it into a different chassis? Much appreciated guys 👍

yes inquiring minds want to know
This thread has finally pushed me from bergara b14 hmr (or from hmr-PRO)

to a tikka
👍

Thanks

I am looking at it for an intro to prs competition and general long distance shooting
Not hunting
so heavy is good

better to get the tac-1?
Or a cheaper tikka, and soon upgrade to a chassis. (¿MDT?)

A penny for your thoughts on the tac-1’s stock

and WHICH tikka?
For 6.5 creedmoor
To be compatible with a 10 round magazine

I don't have experience with the Bergara but I love my Tikka. If pre-fit barrel options and stocks/chassis are as available in the UK as they are in the US, you may want to consider getting a cheap T3x Lite rifle and then adding the chassis/stock and barrel of your choosing. End price should be comparable, and maybe possibly less than a NIB Tac A1 price and you'll be able to use AICS mags. Tac A1 uses proprietary 10rnd Tikka mags, same mags used by the CTR bottom metal.