• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara Ridgeback still won’t eject

Steve_O

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2020
Need some advice from someone that has owned a Bergara Ridgeback in .300 PRC. Got the rifle new it wouldn’t eject a live round so Chad had me send it in which he has been great helping get it returned and shipped back in a fast manner. I got the rifle today and it still won’t eject a live round. This is my first Bergara so is this normal? This has been my first rifle ever that won’t eject a live round and spending 2k on a factory rifle I would assume it should? Any advice from someone that has owned a Bergara In .300 prc would be great. Thanks

Will it eject a case that doesn't have a bullet seated in it? The bullet is probably catching somewhere.

I had a Remington that wouldn’t eject a live round. Wasn’t that big of a deal to me.

have you reached out to @Chad@Bergara?
Yes. He had me return it once already but didn’t fix the issue so I reached out again today. I was just curious anyone else with this rifle if this is normal? He has been great to get it shipped and returned the first time so no issues there.

I'm wondering why you want to eject live rounds.
I get it if you are using dummy round/snap caps for trigger and action practice.
Because the rifle should be able to for what else you mentioned and in case of a light primer strike
/bad primer ect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stoweit
Also how do you get cerakote out of the scope mount hole?

Attachments

• F1B1BA1A-1DE9-46C4-9C84-ACBD0985195F.jpeg
    F1B1BA1A-1DE9-46C4-9C84-ACBD0985195F.jpeg
    629.9 KB · Views: 86
Does it have an ejector pin? Im guessing it does cause of the problem.... im thinking weak spring in the ejector pin....

I would pull the ejector pin out of the bolt and check it for fit, movement without the spring, any dings making it hang up or short stroke.

Does it have an ejector pin? Im guessing it does cause of the problem.... im thinking weak spring in the ejector pin....
Just came back from Bergaras gunsmith they replaced everything in the bolt head.

Had my coffees.
Now I'm thunking straightish.
Strange it's come back from shop still fucked.
I'm going to say it.... should have bought a Tikka.
Hope they fix it for you @Steve_O
I do have a Tikka it’s my PRS rig. Wanted to try Bergara in .300 PRC for ranges out to a mile. My Tikka is 6.5 Creed.

Reactions: GrumpyOleFart
Just came back from Bergaras gunsmith they replaced everything in the bolt head.
Have you checked it personally? I would also check the channel in the bolt for excessive tool marks ect. Seems to me like the extra weight of the round is keeping it from ejecting. Is the empty round that ejects pretty stout or does it plop out all weak?

I buy junk pawnshop guns and fix them.... trouble shooting stuff like this is one of my favorite things to do.

Have you checked it personally? I would also check the channel in the bolt for excessive tool marks ect. Seems to me like the extra weight of the round is keeping it from ejecting. Is the empty round that ejects pretty stout or does it plop out all weak?
The plunger is very easy to press down with my finger. I told Chad that and asked if they have a heavier spring so it has more energy to eject the cartridge he said they only have one spring. For comparison my Tikkas plunger is hard to press down and it ejects live rounds just fine.

The plunger is very easy to press down with my finger. I told Chad that and asked if they have a heavier spring so it has more energy to eject the cartridge he said they only have one spring. For comparison my Tikkas plunger is hard to press down and it ejects live rounds just fine.
Yep, try taking the plunger out and stretching the spring about 1/4 longer than it is now.

If that doesnt work post a picture of it next to a ruler and ill look thru my parts drawer

Yep, try taking the plunger out and stretching the spring about 1/4 longer than it is now.
Does anyone make a stronger aftermarket one by chance? But my next issue is how do I get cerakote out of my scope base hole? The gunsmith filed down some sharp edges re painted it and now there is cerakote in the hole and I can’t get the scope base bolt all the way down without a lot of force.

Does anyone make a stronger aftermarket one by chance? But my next issue is how do I get cerakote out of my scope base hole? The gunsmith filed down some sharp edges re painted it and now there is cerakote in the hole and I can’t get the scope base bolt all the way down without a lot of force.
You can get a stronger spring but you need the one you have out to compare size and diameter. But i would just strech that one first and try that. It will more than likely work just fine. The cerakote you need to cut the cerakote around the hole first with a razor blade. Then you can use an exacto to remove the bottom of it and a tap to clean the threads, if you dont razor around the hole it may chip.

The best way is to purchase and use a tap.

You can get a stronger spring but you need the one you have out to compare size and diameter. But i would just strech that one first and try that. It will more than likely work just fine. The cerakote you need to cut the cerakote around the hole first with a razor blade. Then you can use an exacto to remove the bottom of it and a tap to clean the threads, if you dont razor around the hole it may chip.
This is the first hole above the barrel. Seems like I would need to remove the barrel then tap the hole.

Attachments

• C84841C4-12E7-4E70-B597-22D352DDEC2A.jpeg
    C84841C4-12E7-4E70-B597-22D352DDEC2A.jpeg
    629.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I would run an exacto knife around the top rim of the hole before i ran a tap. If you run a tap you will clean out the threads without clogging up the hole.

I would run an exacto knife around the top rim of the hole before i ran a tap. If you run a tap you will clean out the threads without clogging up the hole.
I was thinking a small drill bit to punch through the threaded hole first then followed with a tap. What would cutting around the hole do?

What about the cerakote at the base of the hole or against the top of the barrel. The picture don’t show it but it’s built up at the bottom as well. Haven’t fired one round out of it and it’s been one thing after another ready to throw it in the creek.

I was thinking a small drill bit to punch through the threaded hole first then followed with a tap. What would cutting around the hole do?
I would do that but the bottom of the hole is the top of the barrel.

What

What about the cerakote at the base of the hole or against the top of the barrel. The picture don’t show it but it’s built up at the bottom as well. Haven’t fired one round out of it and it’s been one thing after another ready to throw it in the creek.
Run a small drill bit in the hole to loosen things up. Stop of course when it touches the barrel. Use a flat nose tap and it will thread all the way to it touches the barrel. If you use a pointed (starter tap) it wont.

Reactions: Texasflyer
Ive heard cerakote can chip if you dont make a path for it first.

send the weapon back and tell them to fix it all and give them a couple of the rounds you use. Assume you are talking factory ammo, and not reloads. If reloads check the overall length and make sure it does not exceed factory

Reactions: wadebrown
So, my dad is a master mechanic. When we get pissed at whatever we are working on he just says... it doesnt give a shit if you are mad or not. Being angry is just wasted energy. Be proactive

He wants it out the hole. I’m still not following you. The cerakote is halfway in the hole. It isn’t covering over it.
Im saying cut around the hole at barrel level so he doesnt get a big chip on the barrel from it breaking up when he taps it.

send the weapon back and tell them to fix it all and give them a couple of the rounds you use. Assume you are talking factory ammo, and not reloads. If reloads check the overall length and make sure it does not exceed factory
As soon as I hear back from Chad I will send it back to him again.

So, my dad is a master mechanic. When we get pissed at whatever we are working on he just says... it doesnt give a shit if you are mad or not. Being angry is just wasted energy. Be proactive
I know I wasn’t to upset when I had to send it in the first time but it came back the same way and worse with paint in the threads. Just frustrating having a new rifle that I can’t use since I bought it. Still shooting my Tikka so that’s keeping me occupied.

I know I wasn’t to upset when I had to send it in the first time but it came back the same way and worse with paint in the threads. Just frustrating having a new rifle that I can’t use since I bought it. Still shooting my Tikka so that’s keeping me occupied.
If your close you could bring it by my shop and get ya shooting asap

Reactions: wade2big
1622341214365.png

fixes most tiny problems once and for all . that or take it to a smith the better option .

Is it possible its a weak extractor popping off the case rim before the round is fully ejected.