• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Berger 168gr match hunting vld

falluchi624

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2013
South Jersey
well, I was ordering bullets and thought I was ordering match berger bullets. then found out they are match hunting bullets. My question is will the berger 168gr match hunting vld bullets be accurate enough to shoot sub moa at 600yards with proper load workup? also, has anyone tried seria 150 mk bthp?

The hunters are what Berger first started making as their match bullets, but after some comp shooters where having bullets not reach the target board during longer shooting strings, it was found that a thicker jacket would maintain the bullets uniformity under the higher heat of match fire, thus the Match jacket was born. They kept on making their original recipe and re-tagged it the Hunter.

Short answer: yes, they will be fine. And you won't have to rework a load for deer season. Win-Win.

Last edited:
Haha, that makes my life easyer. I figured they wouldn't work for a compatition anyway,iv heard 168s don't do well at 1000. But the serias 168s iv been shooting have done fine at 600 yards. I couldn't find any 175s, the had 190grs but that seemed a little heavy.

In my experience I have not seen any performance differences in 168 VLD Target and Hunting bullets. I regularly interchange them as availability dictates.
In reference to target shooting anyway. I have not hunted with Berger bullets.

Good to know. Cabelas had been pretty well stocked on them. Still waiting on ma few more things before I can put loads together. I picked a bad time to start reloading.

Haha, that makes my life easyer. I figured they wouldn't work for a compatition anyway,iv heard 168s don't do well at 1000. But the serias 168s iv been shooting have done fine at 600 yards. I couldn't find any 175s, the had 190grs but that seemed a little heavy.

I watched a guy pop a 2'x2' ar 500 plate at a little over 1100 yards with a 168. Manufactured too...

Does anyone have issues seating these for use in AI mags?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Do I need to use a vld reburing tool to use them? Or can you get away with a regular debuting tool?

Also, it's nice to know they can reach out there. Can't wait to get some loaded up!

Last edited:
1000yd BR shooters at our range actually claim to have better success with the hunting bullets. Most shoot 6 and 6.5 calibers.

Ok, next time I make an order I will get one.

That's very interesting. Maybe when supplies allow I will test that. I'm shooting a .308, remington 700 heavy fluted barrel. I believe it's a 24 or 26 inch barrel.