• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Berger's New 140gr 6.5mm bullets - How are they?

Re: Berger's New 140gr 6.5mm bullets - How are the

I was shopping for bullets tonight on line and i can not find ant retailer that has at least 2 different bullets i am looking for. By the time i order from each retailer i will have 40 bucks in shipping!! Obama sucks!!! Lee

Hey Don! What rifle you shooting those pills out of?

Terry

Hey Terry, welcome to the Hide! Using my Terry Cross built Winchester with them.

Don

6.5Swede2A.jpg

Nice stick Don! You have all the good toys!

What glass do you have on it?

Terry

Savage Rifle Barrels

Don:

Have you had any dealings with these people or know of anyone one that has! I picked up a Savage action at a gun show and want to screw on a 6.5x284 barrel.

I'd appreciate anyone's input on this Mfg. if you have used their barrels.

Terry

Terry,

EABCO is a retail seller of shooting gear, and does not make barrels. It doesn't say who made the barrels for them, so I would stay away from it. There are several good makers of barrels for Savage; Lothar Walther is one, and PAC-NOR is another. I don't shoot Savages, so perhaps someone else will chime in.

Don

can someone tell me the powder burn rate of 4831sc. i'm trying to figure out how far down the barrel the powder is still burning so i can adjusat me barrel length accordingly.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dubb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can someone tell me the powder burn rate of 4831sc. i'm trying to figure out how far down the barrel the powder is still burning so i can adjusat me barrel length accordingly.

Thanks</div></div>

i can tell you , but first complete your profile

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can someone tell me the powder burn rate of 4831sc. i'm trying to figure out how far down the barrel the powder is still burning so i can adjusat me barrel length accordingly.</div></div>

All powders fast and slow have a complete burn within just a couple of inches into the barrel.

Ok someone please tell me what soft seating is? DON'T UNDERSTAND THE RELOADIN LINGO!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moof</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok someone please tell me what soft seating is? DON'T UNDERSTAND THE RELOADIN LINGO!!! </div></div>
Soft seating is when you seat the bullet out long with not a lot of neck tension. You then insert the round into the chamber, and when you close the bolt, the bullet is seated into the rifling. Bench resters do this a lot. It's no bueno for hunting or tactical shooting. After you seat like this, you have to fire the round, or when you open the bolt the bullet can/will stick into the rifling and spill the powder.

Well I have shot 300 of the 140's now and I am going back for more. I am pushing them at 2925 FPS and I'm happy

I got 200 of the 140g Long Range Target bullets in the mail this week to try, hopefully will get some loaded this weekend and get to shoot next week.

I went to the range on Tues night to shoot a few groups. I used my 139g Scenar load of 54.5g H1000 and shot a few groups with the new 140g LRTBT bullets at 300 yards. Both of the 10 shot groups were sub MOA (smaller than the Scenars). I shot on a 300 yard reduced F-class target and shot a 99-4X. I think that will do.

Next test- 600 yards and see how they do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyreloader</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went to the range on Tues night to shoot a few groups. I used my 139g Scenar load of 54.5g H1000 and shot a few groups with the new 140g LRTBT bullets at 300 yards. Both of the 10 shot groups were sub MOA (smaller than the Scenars). I shot on a 300 yard reduced F-class target and shot a 99-4X. I think that will do.

Next test- 600 yards and see how they do. </div></div>

What round you shootin??? 6.5X47L?

Guess you're right... 54.5 gr would be just a tad to hot for a 47.

I can say this on these used my first 500 up and now have 1500 more...

So do the Bergers have a flatter base than the VLD's? I'm guessing that the purpose of these are to help people cope with "jump" when using mag fed guns.

If this is the case, what OAL's are you guy's using and are they fitting in the mag? I'm conjuring up a .260 build at the moment and don't want to be limited to single loading.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Creature</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So do the Bergers have a flatter base than the VLD's? I'm guessing that the purpose of these are to help people cope with "jump" when using mag fed guns.

If this is the case, what OAL's are you guy's using and are they fitting in the mag? I'm conjuring up a .260 build at the moment and don't want to be limited to single loading. </div></div>

It is, but don't think that you can't jump VLD's. I'm shooting 130 Berger VLD's in my .260 with great results. I don't remember now for sure, but IIRC I'm jumping them around .030. This is the only target I have a pic of. It's from the stressfire drill at ASC, and I was having scope issues, it was hitting to the right. My target was #22, the round on the left was my first round, which I used as the point of aim for the other four rounds. They made the two holes you see to the right of it. Had the scope not been flaking out, it would have been a very tidy little cluster.

TheGroups.jpg

Which new 140's are you guys talking about, I see two listed as "New" in the 140's?:
Match Target BT
Match Target BT Long Range

Cigarcop,

Berger had a few of us test and evaluate a new non-VLD bullet that they developed. I don't know for sure that this bullet was ever produced commercially.

Don

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cigarcop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which new 140's are you guys talking about, I see two listed as "New" in the 140's?:
Match Target BT
Match Target BT Long Range </div></div>

Could it be the Match Target BT Long Range? They have very similar G1 BC's (0.592 v. 0.593).

I've been reading this because of my interest in trying Berger bullets, not because I shoot this caliber, but I ran across what I think is a deal on these and thought I would post and let you guys decide.

outdooroutfitters page 3 of berger bullets

Berger 6.5mm. 140 Gr. Match Target BT Long Range
Qty. 100 - Berger Match Target BT Long Range Bullets
MODEL: 26409 $34.50

Berger 6.5mm 140 Gr. Match Hunting VLD
Qty. 100 - Berger VLD Hunting Bullets
MODEL: 26504 $34.50

BUT all orders over $99 get free shipping with no other costs.

Berger Bullets...Same Lot Assurance
Berger Bullets are made to exacting standards but we always recommending stocking up on bullets from the same production lot. If you order multiple boxes of Berger Bullets we'll send them from the same production lot. If "same lot" boxes are not available we'll call you before processing your order.

Remember...Orders Over $99 Ship for Free - No Handling Charges & No Sales Tax!

If anybody has ordered from this company please let me know how they are as I want to order some bullets for my 308 when I get some money in.

Thanks, Seekers

G-1 correct

G-7 approx .295???

1<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rhino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, thats about a .595 bc.

RHINOUT!
</div></div>

Anything should be cheaper than the Scenars
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will these be cheaper than the 139 Scenars?

I shot the old 14 VLD's against the 139's and they were within a couple clicks at 1000 for me.

-z </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Anything should be cheaper than the Scenars</div></div>
Prices as of TODAY
Powder Valley
.264 / 6.5 MM 139 HPBT SCENAR (1000) = $0.258 a piece
BERG 6.5MM 140 GR MATCH TARGET VLD (500) x2 = $0.319 a piece.

Try again.

Are they good for hunting like some of the bergers? I'm trying to find a accurate hunting bullet for my .260. I have shot 5 deer with SMK's got 4 in the freezer but one got away. It was a well placed shot so my spotting friend said. I saw it too. it was at 320 and we got a good blood trail and we tracked it a long way. I just cant let that happen again. I know why they say not to hunt with the matchking. Just wish I had listened.

so after all of this the scenars as usual seem to be very close to the bergers and cheaper!!!!
Bill

Where's the best place to buy them? The only place that I can find them is from HSM.

Any idea if they ship? Van gave me their card last weekend for some 22 rifles that I'm looking for, I'll really have to check them out now.

works for me at 200 yd. I know only 3 shots load testing
65group.jpg

I hope LL doesn't see this 3 shot group...lol.

I have a .260 in the works now. I'm looking forward to trying the 140 BTLRs. I hope the 8.5 twist Krieger will do the job, being that Berger is recommending 1-8" barrel for these.

In talking to Berger's tech support (Sinclair Int'l) the 140's should be stable out of an 8.5 and some 9 twists (a true 9 twist). 8 is recommended to be sure it's stable.

I Gave up on trying to find
them.......now shooting 139 gr. Lapua Scenars....plenty of stock....so far out of 500....only 7 had +0.001" greater ogive dimension.

6.5's aren't in production cycle yet. The cycle should be coming up shortly from what I heard. Installing and setting up some new dies.

Any of you guys ever shoot 6.5 Berger 140 VLDs in the target match and hunting match bullets and notice a difference in load performance, group size, pressures?

No kidding these are hard to come by- I've been out of them (target version- I need hunting version) for three weeks, can't find them anywhere and its starting to drive me nuts!

I have been trying to find some all over the internet. Outdoors, Midway, Sinclairs, Powder Valley,and Bruno's don't have them.... I haven't had time to run up and check out the local stores yet but I doubt they have them too!!!!