• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Berger's New 140gr 6.5mm bullets - How are they?

Re: Berger's New 140gr 6.5mm bullets - How are the

If any of you guys have a dealer that deals with Jerrys Sports Center they have the 140gr bergers in stock. I just got 500 yesterday from them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootemandeatem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If any of you guys have a dealer that deals with Jerrys Sports Center they have the 140gr bergers in stock. I just got 500 yesterday from them. </div></div>

PM SENT

What is yalls seating preference, how far off the lands or do some of yall prefer in the lands. I read a few at .020 and one at .030. How about the rest of y'all?

Thanks

I'm loading the 140BTLRs in my Terry Cross chamber, the COAL is 2.877. Which makes that approx. .040" off te lands. Sorry for the estimate as I don't have a solid way of measuring this ... yet.

The BTLRs have been working great for me. For those of you who have tried both of the VLD and the BTLRs which are better and why??? Which have you guys had better luck with? I can't help but think I'm missing out on something by not using the VLDs.

Spoke with them Friday, they indicated we may not see any more 140's until after the first of the year. I think they told me that just because I am a smaller dealer. Imagine Midway and such may have them earlier.

I spoke w/ Swampy at JLK; he said that the 6.5mm J4 jackets are still not there; maybe Berger has a better relationship w/ J4?

Here is the quote from Berger's Facebook page for those too lazy to surf:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blackblue</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Berger's facebook page </div></div>

Berger Bullets: I wanted to share some useful information with everyone; every Monday morning our stock on the website is updated! It's a useful tool when checking on what you need to reorder, etc! 6.5's are still scheduled for completion in mid December!

November 29 at 12:17pm · Like · Comment · View Feedback (10)Hide Feedback (10)
Sean Mahon, Dennis Santiago, Travis Peters and 5 others like this..
Cody Vickers Definitely need those 6.5s I was told they would be out by early November but I know you guys won't put them out until they are perfect. The one I used this morning worked PERFECT!!! Thanks Again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chris19210</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is yalls seating preference, how far off the lands or do some of yall prefer in the lands. I read a few at .020 and one at .030. How about the rest of y'all?

Thanks </div></div>

Depends if the bullet you are shooting likes to jump a bit or not..... Some go .010 off lands. I am awaiting my 6.5-284 barrel and it just got pushed back to Feb. cause I wanted it carbon wrapped. I will be working with Swift Scirocco II's and Swift actually recommends seating them at .020 off lands!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USSR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Marc,

The box says 1-9" or faster.

Don </div></div>
I have a box in my hand now marked BC=.559
for 1 in 8" twist or faster P/N: 26406

A lot of info thus far appears that we are not all on the same page as far as which bullets are being compared, or are they?
I picked this box up today for $40 out the door, seemed like a good price but was actually looking for the VLD's to shoot in my new 260 when I finish it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6.5x61 Super</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I Gave up on trying to find
them.......now shooting 139 gr. Lapua Scenars....plenty of stock....so far out of 500....only 7 had +0.001" greater ogive dimension. </div></div>

X2, that's what I'm shooting too.

Not sure if the "old style" is completely out of vogue or not or if these new styles are just better primarily for the extreme LR game but if anyone is interested feel free to hit me with a PM. My 6.5s seem to prefer the Barnes on game (my primary affair) so I'm liquidating my supply of old style Berger 140s. I have 450 (exactly) of lot # 1542 (all the same lot.)

I just wasn't geting consistent enough terminal performance enough for deer for my own personal criteria; coulda been a twist rate/velocity thing, not sure, but I prefer the Barnes for that use now.

Hoping someone else has a use for these since these are collecting dust now.

Well I got started with my load development for my Savage 12 260 LRP today but before I get started I want to put this disclaimer in, I am by no means a professional marksman and all of my shots were made off of a bi pod w/ no support. http://savage12lrp260.blogspot.com/2011/05/load-developement-savage-12-260-lrp.html
My shots are from 100 yards.
My best load so far is,
140 grn. Bergers
43 grns. H4350
Lake City Army Match 308 Brass Necked down
Rem. No. 9 1/2 Magnum Primers
C.O.A.L. 2.9000
I am going to order some 260 Lapua Brass, some non magnum primers and move my C.O.A.L. to 2.9085 and then see if this helps tighten up my groups with this load. I installed the zero stop shims on my PST 6x24-50 FFP mil/mil this week, Vortex made this so easy that a caveman could do it. After turning the turrets all the way up and back down several times, it still went back to zero.

Re: Berger's New 140gr 6.5mm bullets - How are they?

Wow great info. Thanks. I will have to try these too in my GAP FNSPR 6.5-284Norma.

Re: Berger's New 140gr 6.5mm bullets - How are they?

140gr. vld at 1000 yards 2.49"
IMG_0122.jpg

Almost stamping threw a 1/2" plate at 500 yards
IMG_0125.jpg