• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Best advise on the 'net for everything

Rich Coyle

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2011
Grants Pass, Oregon
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get what you want/need what ever it may be. The only real opinion that matters is yours, cause someone somewhere isn't going to agree with your decision. </div></div>

The above quote was part of a post by NoExpert. Without his permission (Sorry, Man.) I took the liberty to re-post it. It is a fantastic assemblage of words that should be read and implimented by many more shooters.

Re: Best advise on the 'net for everything

+1

So you're not a fan of those "what do you think of my new XXX" posts either?

Too many folks wondering how trendy they are IMO.

Yeh im sick of shit posts from people that have either no clue and demand answers or dont know how to search.

It took me MONTHS of research to decide on my first "serious" scope purchase. Yes it sucked but you gain tremendous amounts of knowledge looking into things yourself. Those who just skip to the end by asking "spend my money for me" are just being plain lazy.

beatdeadhorse2.jpg

You get that everywhere. I've been building and sellign go-fast bits for cars for a long time, and its sad how often I get calls from people who simply want to spend some money they have on stuff. They have given NO thought to what they want to do, what their goals are, their needs - none of it. All they know is they have xxx$ burning a hole in their pocket and they want something. The flip side is the guys who say "I want xxx HP" and don't have any idea WHY they want that much power, or how driveable the car will be once they get it.

Anyhow my point is that this is a normal condition in any pursuit, not just shooting.

Theres no point in gettign mad at folks over it though. Either ignore them, or answer their question. Getting worked up only stresses you out - and they generally won't care.

What I hate is when people post up a "____ vs. ____" and then argue with everyone who gives them advice. The "I just spent X amount of dollars on something, are they any good?" are pretty hilarious too.

vman, you're spot on with how it should be done. I too pour over the threads and the rest of the web researching as I only get a couple months a year I can shoot my own kit, so I try to make the most of it each time. But without some of those threads the research info wouldn't be there in the first place.

Newbs have questions. Some do the research to answer the questions themselves, some ask the questions wanting to be spoon fed the answers. I'll answer those that give details on budget, application, platform, etc. Other times when they don't I will ask for the info and when they give it I will then help them out.

This sport and the equipment involved is highly technical, can get very expensive, and for the newb can be intimidating as hell. Quite frankly if it wasn't for SH there would be a lot more junk CS scopes sold. That alone is worth the "what about this" threads.

I don't dislike the guys wanting info or opinions on the different equipment. Yes, the only opinion that really matters is the person doing the buying, but without everyone's two cents thrown in to help then folks wouldn't know what direction to look in the first place. The "vs." threads get old and I don't particularly like those, but there's worse out there.

The only threads that drive me nuts is the "I just bought this, can I get a pat on the back or a 'yea me' to soothe my buyers remorse because my wife is giving me hell about the Ramen" threads.

My fear is that one day the people who have the experience and knowledge will refuse to educate the new people. The new people have the duty to do research that will lead to educated questions and therefore create debates that are benefecial to everyone here from the newbie to the seasoned veteran. The new guys(me included) dont understand how lucky we are to have such knowledgable people who share our passion on here. This site has allowed me to gain a tremendous amount of knowledge on rifle shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rware91</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My fear is that one day the people who have the experience and knowledge will refuse to educate the new people. The new people have the duty to do research that will lead to educated questions and therefore create debates that are benefecial to everyone here from the newbie to the seasoned veteran. The new guys(me included) dont understand how lucky we are to have such knowledgable people who share our passion on here. This site has allowed me to gain a tremendous amount of knowledge on rifle shooting. </div></div>

One thing that worries me a little is that wonderful resources such as the hide, becoming diluted down to just rubbish leaving those of us who seek knowledge from experienced people with nothing to scrounge thru except for crap.

The best way to counter this, in my opinion, is to absolutely hammer noobs that post up bullshit questions. Yes, it makes us seem like a*holes/trolls, but it gives them a valuable lesson that if you create a thread to ask the same questions day in and day out, expect to get hammered... especially if the same thread exists in the one forum list.

In slight contradiction to what I have just said, I believe everyone has to start their journey at some point so I take that into account and If I feel sincerity in ones questions even if it is noobish I will usually help. I take a liking to explaining what I can as it reinforces my understandings and helps others too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The "I just spent X amount of dollars on something, are they any good?" are pretty hilarious too. </div></div>

Those are my favorite. "How did I do, guys?"

I ask alot of questions on here, but I make sure to do 2 things.

First, hit the Google search for my topic, and put that in the message as to why that's not working for you.

Second, always say "thank you" at the end of the post. People are expending time/energy/ electrons to help out (in theory) and that's the least you can do for their time/effort/bandwidth. I find this keeps people from jumping on you too bad.

When I make a cheap shot response to someone I still get hammered but I generally look back and say "I deserved that"