• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Android apps for shooters,hunter-outdoorsmen?

TresMon

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2007
NW USA
I had so many troubles with my cell phone (standard basic unit) my provider offered me a brand new phone of same value, or a like new, used Android based phone free.
I went droid. (Samsung Aclaim)

I have Shooter
Google Maps &
My Tracks

Which I'm liking. Any other apps an all around outdoorsman & techy geek should be aware of?

Thanks!

Re: Best Android apps for shooters,hunter-outdoorsmen?

Reticle Ranger is handy. From Sean that made Shooter. Saves you some math.

I have been hunting for a shot timer but haven't found one yet.

Welcome to the dark side. Enjoy your stay. There's already a dedicated Android thread that you should read through here. Plenty of Android discussion there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Herr.Baer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reticle Ranger is handy. From Sean that made Shooter. Saves you some math.

I have been hunting for a shot timer but haven't found one yet. </div></div>

There was one a while back but it sucked. I don't think it was fault of the app but more of the hardware so I doubt we'll see a decent one until a phone is made with the same hardware (specifically high quality mic) as a timer.

Thanks, yeah I found the droid thread on the google hide search.
Good stuff. Now to go learn overclocking....

Been using a few more 'Droid Programs at the range:

Easy Stats-Limited; a free program that figures SD, standard deviation from your velocity figures.

Real calc; a scientific style calculator that you can do algebraic functions on for figuring ballistics and what not.

Both are in the Android Market for free.

GPS Status is a good free program.
It can be used to measure distance using the Radar function.
Moto Torch is a good flashlight function if you place the widget on one of the screens.

I have a single screen I set aside for shooting.
It has the Android Power Widget, Shooter, GPS Status, calculator, and the flashlight all on the same screen.
The power widget is good for starting the GPS when you need to use Sooter or GPS Status....and saving power when you don't need them.

+1 for gps status, another is google earth. Ringdroid, make your own ringtones off songs on your phone.

Gps status is pretty damned accurate, I checked it against google earth, it was right on the money.

I use 5 apps for long range shooting.

Shooter(duh)

BB Density(density altitude calculator using Temp, Dew Point, and Pressure)

Altitude(gives GPS and ASTER Satellite feet above sealevel reading. Is pretty close)

Maps Rule(Lets you measure distance from point to point in many different english and metric units on satelite imagery.)

Wunder(uses closest weather station to give you values to plug into BB Density to get Density Altitude)

McL,

Thanks for those suggestions. I can't find "maps rule" in 'Droid Market, Can you recheck it?

Try "Maps Ruler"

DHgfj.png

Re: Best Android apps for shooters,hunter-outdoors

Map ruler = cool/wow. Technology never ceases to amaze me.

I went to the local airstrip. Using my Leica CRF 1200 laser I ranged the length. The airstrip is 1016 yards long according to my laser range finder. (An average of several readings, all within 2 yards of each other.)

I pulled out my droid phone and launched the map ruler application. Before long it pulled up the aerial / satellite photography of Google maps and there was the picture of the airstrip on my phones screen. Using the map ruler app I measured the length of the airstrip on my phone that I had just lazed. The phone program said it was 1009, 1005, and 1009 yards in three separate tests. IMPRESSIVE!! That's 99% accuracy! Try to get that close ranging through your reticle if you don't have enough laser!!!

Now thats just cool. Thanks again.

mil. calculate is another good one,takes all the math out of ranging with a reticle(mil dot).

Do you realize that Shooter has a very good ranging tool built into the app?
It works with mils, moa, and iphy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you realize that Shooter has a very good ranging tool built into the app?
It works with mils, moa, and iphy. </div></div>
Just found it,thanks!

I just received a update for the droid Shooter Program.
I tried to pull up Seans website but it seems down. I was going to look to see what the update included or changed.

At first glance, the +/- on the hud solutions screens have been changed to a U or D for elevation & L or R for windage. I like this better....

Anybody got the skinny on the rest or a link to Sean/shooter thats working?