• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BEST BOLT GUN FOR around $2K

scorpio 25

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2005
What would some of the best bolt guns be in the $2k range ?

There is a good amount of choice in that space, here are 7 off the top of my head that would be worth looking at.

Bergara (HMR, BMP, LRP), Havak Pro HP1, PVA John Hancock, T3X Tac A1, MPA BA Lite PCR.

If the budget is only for the rifle, the John Hancock from PVA would be my pick.

There is a good amount of choice in that space, here are 7 off the top of my head that would be worth looking at.

Bergara (HMR, BMP, LRP), Havak Pro HP1, PVA John Hancock, T3X Tac A1, MPA BA Lite PCR.
How would you compare the above rifles to the RPR in 6.5cm ?

IMO and in no particular order since they're all somewhat different in feature set:

- RPR with upgraded barrel (LRI, PVA, Proof), upgraded Seekins SP3R forend, upgraded Magpul PRS stock. This can be done for as low as $1500 after selling the takeoff parts. You've got a short bolt lift, double feed double stack action/mag, awesome flat bottom forend. Just a solid rifle that will perform well.

- Christensen MPR. A touch over $2K and a very solid do all rifle from my short experience so far.

- PVA John Hancock. New to the market so nobody really has experience with one but based on the parts list and the company putting it all together I'm confident it will be solid.

Upside to the RPR and MPR is they're available now. Another upside to the RPR is the initial investment is lower and the upgrades can be made later. If you're a tinkerer it will also be somewhat a "project" if you will vs just mounting an optic and going out to shoot.

IMO and in no particular order since they're all somewhat different in feature set:

- RPR with upgraded barrel (LRI, PVA, Proof), upgraded Seekins SP3R forend, upgraded Magpul PRS stock. This can be done for as low as $1500 after selling the takeoff parts. You've got a short bolt lift, double feed double stack action/mag, awesome flat bottom forend. Just a solid rifle that will perform well.

- Christensen MPR. A touch over $2K and a very solid do all rifle from my short experience so far.

- PVA John Hancock. New to the market so nobody really has experience with one but based on the parts list and the company putting it all together I'm confident it will be solid.

Upside to the RPR and MPR is they're available now. Another upside to the RPR is the initial investment is lower and the upgrades can be made later. If you're a tinkerer it will also be somewhat a "project" if you will vs just mounting an optic and going out to shoot.
thanks for taking the time to write the reply.something to think about

The John Hancock from patriot Valley Arms is the only rifle that should be considered in this price range. Head and shoulders above the rest. A true custom build at a bargain price

Reactions: Srgt. Hulka
If the budget is only for the rifle, the John Hancock from PVA would be my pick.

This is the way I went.

This is what I’m hoping.

The John Hancock from patriot Valley Arms is the only rifle that should be considered in this price range. Head and shoulders above the rest. A true custom build at a bargain price

These kind of comments is why I went with the JH.

I'd say Tikka or Bergara. Both will leave you will a little money on the table for glass or ammo.

The PVA or MPR are another step up.

We do know. PVA gave me one chambered in 6.5x47L to test and put through the paces which I did extensive testing on over the past 2 months with all the popular bullets.

It hammers. I shot many one hole groups and easily sub 1/2moa to 700 yds which is the furthest I tested it.

I shot 30rd strings over the Labradar with SD's of 4.5

140 ELDM Fireforming virgin brass

140 ELDM OCW TEST

Last edited:
How would you compare the above rifles to the RPR in 6.5cm ?

I think they are all a little better than the RPR. The RPR came first and got a lot of folks into their first precision rifle even if they don't use them to their full capability. It has been plagued with poor shooters using cheap glass giving it poor reviews, so it is hard to sift that all out. A local guy was telling me how bad his was, so I met him at the range. The muzzle had 1-3 mm of deposits on it and was uneven and he had never removed the comp to clean it. Got that fixed and his groups went back to where there were. He was convinced he had shot out his barrel and was cussing Ruger left and right. Both of mine shoot really well. For the price, I think the CTR and HMR are better than the RPR and you don't have to worry about fixing anything at all.

Reactions: lawofsavage
We do know. PVA gave me one chambered in 6.5x47L to test and put through the paces which I did extensive testing on over the past 2 months with all the popular bullets.

It hammers. I shot many one hole groups and easily sub 1/2moa to 700 yds which is the furthest I tested it.

I shot 30rd strings over the Labradar with SD's of 4.5

140 ELDM Fireforming virgin brass

140 ELDM OCW TEST

I guess I've always seen H4350 used with 140s in 6.5x47L and that powder being unobtainium led me away from the 6.5s....but 2800fps+ with 37.1-37.2.gr Varget is quite impressive performance given I could use the same powder & primers as my Dasher.

This is going to cost me more money...

Reactions: atefft22
Would love to see a side by side comparison of the PVA Hancock and the MPA PCR when the Hancock is available.

I'm guessing the Hancock will be more accurate with the MPA gun having a lightweight MPA chassis as it's ace.