• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best choice for ear protection for BIG bore rifle

VaRandy

Sergeant
Minuteman
I have not had to look for replacement ears for a long time and imagine there are new players. What would be my best option for my wildcat .408 with a brake to protect my ears, not be a problem with cheek weld, and let me hear last minute inputs called to me.

Don't know my decibel level but it is ROUGH!

My largest caliber is a 338LM and I use MSA Sordins; maybe double up with plugs and you're good to go.

+1 for doubling up here (on a budget): Surefire EP3 + Howard Leight Impact Sports.

Peltor ComTac are top of the heap in my opinion. They are the only ones I have tried that don't mess with my cheek weld.

I got several similar answers, double up with a set of electronic muffs and inserts for the ears. Doesn't the insert negate the reason for buying electronic which is mostly to allow conversation? If you need two pair, wouldn't you save money on non electronic for the outside as well?

Let a friend shoot it and stand way behind him?

If not, double up with muffs and ear plugs. I like Sordin's and cheap foamies.

I use Howard leight L3 muffs and they work good shooting a 300 WM out of a truck bed which can get very loud! I should double up but I never get any pain or ringing so I think the muffs are handling it.

I use Howard leight L3 muffs and they work good shooting a 300 WM out of a truck bed which can get very loud! I should double up but I never get any pain or ringing so I think the muffs are handling it.

The muffs will handle it until it's too late. You don't know the damage you're doing until it's done !!!

The muffs will handle it until it's too late. You don't know the damage you're doing until it's done !!!

Ain't that the truth! My ears are still ringing from last hunting season when my hunting partner had a lapse in judgement and shot over me at a moose with his .338 win mag!

You should look into the NRR of different muffs. I have both the MSA Sordin supreme Pro X and Peltor ComTac (MSA's are better IMHO). For indoor carbine shooting or sitting within a few feet of a bunch of muzzle breaks on comp guns I prefer to use cheap 3m foamies that have a NRR of 32db (orange ones in bulk from Home Depot) and my MSA's over top. The Surefire Ep3's are too tall for the MSA's and they hook and pull against the ear cup fabric, so they no longer see any use. If going with either Peltor or MSA buy the Gel Cup ear pieces, very comfortable and promote a better seal around your ear. The plus of electronics over foamies is you can dial the electronics to the max so you can at least hear something, i.e. corrections from your spotter or RSO commands. Trust me when I say, over the ear muffs may SEEM like they are enough, but for long periods of exposure they are not.