• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Coffee To Brew At Home?

Re: Best Coffee To Brew At Home?

The best? It comes in a little brown bag from a small place in Lebanon. Daily grinds lately have been from Sam's Club in a three pound bag.
DO NOT get the Black and Decker burr grinder if you want to grind espresso/powder grind. It sucks ass for that, but it does do a fair job of grinding for the press pot. I miss my Cuisinart that broke because it was loud, woke up Panty 6 when I used it, but man it could grind some bean to serious dust wiht it's burr.
If you are using one of those blade spice grinders, stop. Go find yourself a Capresso Burr Grinder. It's th ebest one for the cash.
For the best coffee, three measures per 16oz of water(heated to 190*F) steeped for five minutes then pressed and served. Press Pot is hands down the best brew for tasting all the highlights of a bean or blend. I heartily recommend sitting in the sun and a good cigar

foldgers

preferably a day old

reheated in the microwave.

Brings back the memories

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adam boynton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get this press

http://www.aerobie.com/Products/aeropress_story.htm </div></div>

I'm a sucker for coffee brewing products, I may be ordering that and trying it.

I have been using a french press for a while now and it definatly makes a better cup of coffee than any dripper.

Anything Indonesian. Sumatra, Celebes, even Mocha Java.

Runnin just fine on my Cafe de Monde that I get by the case from Heidi's parents.

Looks like you need some espresso blend there Switch. Need to make a coffe run next week and will have a bag of espresso gring out to ya.

Same only no reheat !!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">foldgers

preferably a day old

reheated in the microwave.

Brings back the memories </div></div>

seriously Jura Capresso machines make the best coffee. pick one up reconditioned for 1/2 off still $800.00

me to shooter 39 yrs no coffee, but they make about the same beverage and tastes alot better and has a little wake you up, MT.Dew. Thats my eye opener

Like Switch's fine cigars coffee is somewhat of an art form. The best is to roast your own green coffee beans. Beans stored green in dry will stay fresh for two years. After they are roasted they go south in two weeks. Start up to become a home roaster is high, but equipment last for years.
TECHNIVORM coffee maker gets the water the correct temp every time. Mine is 10 years old $250
I-ROAST roaster. Roast in 8 minutes to perfect bean with you only watching bean color. $189 Mine is 4 years old
KITCHENAID PRO LINE Burr Grinder $170 mine is 3 years old
GREEN COFFEE BEANS Premium (I like LA MINTA TARRAZU) $4-6 lb. We buy 25 lb bags that last six months with 2 coffee drinkers

Only warning is that once you have coffee this fresh you can't even drink the other. Regards

Kaz, I totally agree with you. I am blessed to have a custom roaster, and can pick up my beans each week. She roasts several times a week in small batches to keep the roasted beans fresh. Never have coffee with beans more than a week old.

Fine coffee and fine cigars go together....just like fine bourbon and fine cigars.

Enjoy

Grandessa German Roast Regular Grind, from Aldi's; prepared strong. Affordable, robust, relatively easily acquired.

Greg

Blue Horse Kona, ordered directly from the island, delivered via priority mail I too am a bit of a coffee geek. I have been using the Bodum Santos, but unfortunately I have broken 2 of them. They make incredible coffee, but apparently I'm hard on em. These can be has about $20 cheaper than this Santos

caf00014l.jpg

I like cuban style espresso..this is the best of the latin blends.

I will agree that of all the coffee I have tried, Jura Capressa machines make a phenomenal cup. My parents have one that I use way more then I should each time I go home. Right temperature, right brew, selectable strength, just delicious.

I have a cuisinart grind/brew with filter and all now..it works well, however the hot plate is too hot and can burn the coffee quick, so I have to be sure to shut it off once its done brewing.

I love coffee and agree, it is something to be savored.

The more I learn about coffee, the more I learn THAT I don't know. But it keeps on getting interestinger.

Until the cat-shit coffee topic starts. Then I'm back to reloading.

That is much appreciated friend!

KAZ has to have the best coffee ever, what with roasting, brewing, and drinking all in the same hour or so. THAT is fresh!
Although I love a great cup of coffee, I will NOT even think about trying that cat shat stuff from down south. Man, shit is shit no matter HOW you package it. Yeah, I know, tell me the story of the Fox and the Grapes again, I hear ya!

I met a fantastic young lady in Nicaragua a couple of weeks ago. Her family raises coffee near Matagalpa, and she exports it. Outstanding coffee. I'm pretty much ruined now. Used to be the only way I couldn't drink my coffee was when it had frozen solid in my thermos cup. After drinking some really good and fresh coffee, Folgers doesn't even taste like the same beverage.

It kind of like eating bananas from the grocery store, and then getting them ripe from a tree. Not even close to the same flavor.

Had to go there...

Kopi Luwak, Literally 'The Cat's Ass' of coffees!

Why would you want to drink this shitty coffee? There are a lot of theories on why kopi luwak is different. Research has determined that coffee passed by a luwak has been changed chemically. Specifically the process seems to break down some of the bean’s proteins which are known to contribute to the bitterness of coffee.

So research from the University of Guelph in Canada, reported here, and further detailed in this article confirms the coffee’s chemical makeup is altered by it’s special little journey, I think it also important to consider the luwak’s own affinity for fine coffee.

When coffee, like other fruit, is harvested, not all the fruit will be perfectly ripe. Since the majority is ripe and it is to be combined for use, the end product comes out well; however, if you have an animal which naturally selecting only the ripest fruit you will end up with a product of unparalleled quality.

Is it safe? While many are understandably skeptical of eating anything that has already been through the gastro-intestinal track of another, research shows that due to the thorough washing, the luwak coffee may even have a lower bacteria level than other coffees. Certainly whatever the washing process misses the roasting process will make up for.
Above hijacked from
http://www.lifeaftercoffee.com/2005/09/16/the-straight-poop-on-kopi-luwak-coffee/

I ain't ready, don't know if I ever will be, but supposedly this stuff is ...wait for it again...The Cat's Ass of Coffee's!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twisted</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adam boynton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get this press

I have been using a french press for a while now and it definatly makes a better cup of coffee than any dripper. </div></div>

And.....

I picked up an Aeropress after work. Will give it a try shortly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twisted</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adam boynton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get this press

I have been using a french press for a while now and it definatly makes a better cup of coffee than any dripper. </div></div>

I love mine...best tasting, smoothest cup of coffee you will ever taste.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the process seems to break down some of the bean’s proteins which are known to contribute to the bitterness of coffee.</div></div>

So does a little bit of sugar.

I am enjoying some Kona Mountain coffee right now, as well as a large Mt. Dew. Couple these with a shot of Red Bull and a large 4-finger rub, and then use the empty Red Bull can as a spitter. Early in the morning it makes the day develop quickly.

I love Turkish coffee. Preparation is kind of a art, but I love the taste.

Community. Dark roast. black. Its made just across the river from baton rouge. i dont know if they distribute anywhere but the gulf coast. i've had my wife fedex me out care packages of that and tonys (la folk will know about the tonys)when stuck on jobs out of state

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twisted</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twisted</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adam boynton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get this press

And.....

I picked up an Aeropress after work. Will give it a try shortly. </div></div>

I'm curious about your results - what's the report? I don't drink much coffee, but got the GF one of these for Christmas, and she said it actually did make the best coffee she'd ever had.

Cheers,

Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">never had a cup of coffee in my 45 year life. </div></div>

WOW!!!

People's taste varies from simple to extravagant.
I have enjoyed many grinds from all around the globe, but for my own simple taste, Folgers Black Silk is the best.

We bought one of those Keurigs machines. We use this machine about 3 times a day. Absolutely love it. You can buy all kinds of different coffees with one of my favorites being the Donuntshop coffee.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RJW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fine coffee and fine cigars go together....just like fine bourbon and fine cigars.
</div></div>

Yes, there is little in life more sublime than a lukewarm cup of Sanka paired with a Travis Club Senator. Or a Robert Burns Black Watch and a nice glass of Old Crow.

I do like the Drew Estate Tabak Especial with a nice Americano on occasion, but a good cup of press and a La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero Chisel Maduro is just plain outstanding.

For one of the top shelf pairings, or two...

a nice pour of '92 Speyside Craggenmore Distiller's Edition Port Finish and a Diamond Crown Maximus

or

23 year old Pappy Van Winkle's and a Gurkha Signature 1887 Maduro Black Rothchild

Some days, life is just so damn nice that a guy just has to sit back and contemplate it

In all seriousness it is very hard to beat a glass of Redbreast (neat) with a Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur #1.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twisted</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twisted</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adam boynton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get this press

And.....

I picked up an Aeropress after work. Will give it a try shortly. </div></div>

I'm curious about your results - what's the report? I don't drink much coffee, but got the GF one of these for Christmas, and she said it actually did make the best coffee she'd ever had.

Cheers,

Bill </div></div>

I've made several cups with it so far and it is now my preferred method for 2 reasons.

1) The coffee has no burnt or acid taste at all. It is the best method I have found yet. I'm really happy about that. Still working on different beans and such but I think I'm on the right track.

2) Cleanup is simply amazingly clean and easy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am enjoying some Kona Mountain coffee right now, as well as a large Mt. Dew. Couple these with a shot of Red Bull and a large 4-finger rub, and then use the empty Red Bull can as a spitter. Early in the morning it makes the day develop quickly.

</div></div>

I was wondering why I love this site so much. This reminded me.

Good work, 41.

Good cup of coffee - 186mg of caffeine
Large Mt Dew - 170mg of caffeine
Good sized chew - 12 mgs of Nicotine(if memory serves me on the amount)
Red Bull - 186mg of caffeine

That's a nice morning dose to get started. Adding a seriously loud cover of Sabbath songs by metal bands really gets the blood pumping too. 'The Wizard' by Bullring Brummies just kicks major ass at Level 32 on a 450W system on the way to work!

Appreciate the report, Twisted, kind of what I expected!

Best regards,

Bill

I think its either Costa Rican or the Hawaiian for me. I usually grind up a lb to mix with the Dark Roast Folgers. Not an expert.

I've looked at a few but know a good press pot makes the best tasting cup. It's the only 'system' that releases the most flavor from the coffee. All the hardcore coffee in the industry recommend a press pot. I think the glass vacuum pot does the same thing as a Bilotti by moving the water upwards through the grinds like a stove top espresso machine.
Espresso concentrates flavor for hardcore flavor, press gives the best flavor with even taste and no bitterness, and a drip makes a decent everyday cup...unless it is missing the slow steep system which helps make it better

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smboudreaux</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Community. Dark roast. black. Its made just across the river from baton rouge. i dont know if they distribute anywhere but the gulf coast. i've had my wife fedex me out care packages of that and tonys (la folk will know about the tonys)when stuck on jobs out of state </div></div>
We have it at Kroger here. Got to liking it when I worked down there after the storms. This month I had to go with the Kroger store brand....makes ya wanna wait till you get to work and drink their coffee from the Bunn in the lounge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kinsman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">People's taste varies from simple to extravagant.
I have enjoyed many grinds from all around the globe, but for my own simple taste, Folgers Black Silk is the best. </div></div>

My daily brew is Folgers Black Silk. I do like Kenya and Sumatra, as well as Guatemala and Kona. I think now I am going to buy a press - my brother told me it was the best cup of coffee he had ever had.

I would love to try some of the coffees mentioned above. Always learning something new.