• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best feeding 6mm

MangoFett

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2018
Missouri
With how well the components get fit and finished I wouldn't expect a huge difference between most the common PRS 6mm's performance on a 1-3moa steel target. But since I've been shooting the 6.5's and a 308 I don't have much experience with pushing 6mm cartridges from a mag.

Black Bear tactical action
No mag kits
AICS mags
No nose diving
No mag problems
No headache feeding

That's really my goal with this build, load it and don't worry about a thing.

Right now I'm leaning towards a 6x47, 6xc, or 6gt. Wanting to be in the 2900-3050fps rrange. My concern with the gt is that availably of brass could be a major problem.

I vote 243, but since u want lower velocity I'd go 6x47 or 6creed.

243 is cool and all but I'm not sure I could make it a full season of PRS plus practice with it. Like most guys I don't have a trainer so I use my match rifle for practice.

Have you ran the 6x47L before?

The 6x47 and 6 creed are almost identical, with the creed being about .080 longer. Neither should have any edge in feeding. The XC splits the creed and 47 for length, so same thing.

Reactions: MangoFett
It's what I run, but I'm not sure I can qualify "best feeding". I'd say it feeds the same as any other. That means perfectly out of a match rifle. If it had feeding issues at all I wouldn't be shooting it.

It isn't as severe a cartridge as BR, and even then I don't recall hearing about any persistent feeding issues out of a well made rifle.

The 6x47 and 6 creed are almost identical, with the creed being about .080 longer. Neither should have any edge in feeding. The XC splits the creed and 47 for length, so same thing.

So no real edge on feeding here between those three, are there any edges between them then? A objective reason to choose one over the other for any reason? Or is really just a "choose whichever one you want, you can't go wrong" type of thing?

So no real edge on feeding here between those three, are there any edges between them then? A objective reason to choose one over the other for any reason? Or is really just a "choose whichever one you want, you can't go wrong" type of thing?

As mentioned, the Creed wins if you need factory ammo. If you’re a handloader, brass would be the primary consideration imo. I’ve used all three in custom barrels using AW and AICS mags. They function identically, and perform on target identically. Creed isn’t sexy, but checks the most boxes imo.

I would go x47 if it were me. The Lapua cartridges (6.5 and 6x47) seem to be extremely easy to load for.

But brass is readily available for 6 Creed also, which would be a determining factor for me.

I'm sure that whatever one of the 6 variants that have been discussed would suit you fine with no issues.

243 isnt any harder on barrels than any other 6mm running 3100-3150. Guys are torching 6 creed barrels at 1200-1600rds. Rob01 and I have had 243 barrels go 1800+. The one I burned out went at 2500rds, still shot 5/8moa but had lost 120fps and slowed to 2995

Forgot to mention, I've got a 243ai that has a little over 1500rds and it still shoots 1/3moa. 105 bergers at 3280fps.

I would go x47 if it were me. The Lapua cartridges (6.5 and 6x47) seem to be extremely easy to load for.

But brass is readily available for 6 Creed also, which would be a determining factor for me.

I'm sure that whatever one of the 6 variants that have been discussed would suit you fine with no issues.

Peterson should be offering 6x47L brass later this year. But by my understanding you can size 6.5x47L down to 6x47L without any shoulder or neck issues.

Reactions: Fig
My 6x47 didn't get the memo that its an easy cartridge to load for... To date it's the only round I have ever said screw it and walked away from it.

6 Creed is the easy button

I've heard the complete opposite about the 6x47, including from a few top PRS shooters.

It has a very narrow tune window, and it falls out of tune all the time.

I don't have any personal experience with 6x47L, but based on what I've heard from others, I'd avoid it like the plague.

For an easy feeding 6mm, if I was to pick one, it would be 6XC.

6x47 had been pretty easy for me. My last 4 barrels have all liked the same load and shoot sub half moa and single digit SDs.

Just run 6.5x47 through your die and you are good to go.

My 26 inch barrels are running around 3050 with 105s and everyone has given me 2000 trouble free rounds.

In reality just pick which ever one of those 3 that gets you excited and go shoot.

Reactions: Fig
My 6x47 didn't get the memo that its an easy cartridge to load for... To date it's the only round I have ever said screw it and walked away from it.

6 Creed is the easy button

First off, bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica. That's fucking hilarious man.

Why do you say 6 Creed is the easy button? More of an easy button than the XC? (if there is even such a thing as an easy button in this game)

I've heard some say they cussed the XC the whole time and didn't like brass offerings and didn't get the easy tune they have before with the br cases and such but I don't have first hand experiences.

If I read right, you want it to last a season including practice?

How many rounds do you shoot in a season?

6creed is gonna burn out around 1100. 1500 if you’re way lucky.

6x47 or 6xc is probably best bet.

Will have to see what the gay tiger does once it’s abaila.

6 Creed has multiple srp brass offerings. It doesn't have to be pushed hard to get good fps. Barrel life could be really it's only detriment but really that could be said for most of the fast 6's. 6 Creed has pretty good factory options if you want to be lazy and not reload. I've owned multiples of all the 6's discussed; of them I would without hesitation go 6 Creed again.... With that said the only 6 I really enjoy shooting right now is my 6 br lol pushing a105 at a very pedestrian 2800 fps.

I also happen to be wearing a Michael Scott's Dunder Mifflin Scranton Meredith Palmer Memorial Celebrity Rabies Awareness Pro-Am Fun Run Race for the Cure shirt so take that for what it's worth....

As long as it's the Chicago Bears,
+1 on the 6 creed, only drawback, barrel life. Got tried of chasing the lands after 400 rounds

6XC unless you need factory ammo as an option
Easy to get a 105/107/108/115 to 2950-3050. Brass lasts a long time. Barrels last long too

6 Creed is the easy one of the two but brass life??? I suppose there is SRP brass, right?!

Not too hard to neck down 6.5x47 to 6. My Mausingfield fed slicker by cutting the front of the feedlips on the mag back .1" - short OACL. Brass lasted for 11 years, still good and waiting for a future 25x47 build. Average barrel life was 1700 with my 6x47 barrels.

A lot of the guys running H1000 in the bigger 6's like 243, 6mmCM, etc, get more barrel life than the medium 6's.

I like how tight a 6mmBR shoots, it just has lower ES and the vertical is small at distance, lower recoil, long barrel and brass life. Never had so many 5 shot groups touching at 100Y out of a repeater before! Ha, I used to keep these wallet groups but I didn't bother cutting em out of the cardboard box today that went in the dumpster.
For the second time I cleaned the TYL in a match, doubt that would have happened with my 6x47. At that match 1st and 4th were shooting 6mmBR so the little cartridge can get the job done.
But yes it was a hassle tuning the magazine for perfect feeding the BR, that hurdle was overcome.

Reactions: Mxridr
Multi quote on my phone is weird so I won't even try lol but...

Yes I'm a one gun guy, I can't afford or justify building a 223. I'd love to shoots 5k plus rounds a year but realistically I do more like 2k so by the time I build an identical 223 it really wouldn't pay for itself and my better half would murder me for dropping another 3-5k.

6br and bra are sweet and you're right the vertical is so little on them they are nice on steel, may even grab a few extra hits during the season on a diamond that a higher vertical having load may miss on but Im don't messing with mags and may kits. I know with a mag kit it's not a big deal but I want to go a different route.

Sounds like 6 Creed may be rough on the barrel life and I'll be honest my 260 spoiled me, worked my load up and I haven't needed to tweak it one but, throat still has yet to move a measurable amount yet and I'm just near 1100 rounds.

6 Creed is the easy one of the two but brass life??? I suppose there is SRP brass, right?!

Not too hard to neck down 6.5x47 to 6. My Mausingfield fed slicker by cutting the front of the feedlips on the mag back .1" - short OACL. Brass lasted for 11 years, still good and waiting for a future 25x47 build. Average barrel life was 1700 with my 6x47 barrels.

A lot of the guys running H1000 in the bigger 6's like 243, 6mmCM, etc, get more barrel life than the medium 6's.

I like how tight a 6mmBR shoots, it just has lower ES and the vertical is small at distance, lower recoil, long barrel and brass life. Never had so many 5 shot groups touching at 100Y out of a repeater before! Ha, I used to keep these wallet groups but I didn't bother cutting em out of the cardboard box today that went in the dumpster.
For the second time I cleaned the TYL in a match, doubt that would have happened with my 6x47. At that match 1st and 4th were shooting 6mmBR so the little cartridge can get the job done.
But yes it was a hassle tuning the magazine for perfect feeding the BR, that hurdle was overcome.

So probably 6xc or 243....

243 with h4350 and 107smk or 108 Berger's, do you think I'd chase the lands more that the 6xc?

One easier to tune over the other?
As long as I get 1500 rounds of half moa I'll be happy. Gunware throws together one hell of a rifle and I've yet to see one from anyone I know that doesn't shoot half moa so the question left is mainly can I get to 1500 without chasing lands or burning it up.

No reason you can’t just stay with a 6.5, the performance between it and the 6 is not much. You could also give the 131 blackjack(.257 cal) bullet a try. Simple neck down of the 6.5 creed or 47 Lapua case in one step. That bullet seems like it could be run at pretty pedestrian velocities, and is still impressive.

On the 6mm barrel life. I think your proposed velocity window is about where these cartridges should be. Now consider that many many people here are running 100 fps in excess of that with the same cartridges we’re discussing. There’s a cost for that type of performance. Just pick the one you like and run with it. If you torch the barrel, so what, get a new one.

Reactions: 257 Blackjack
243 has always had worse barrel life for me than 6creed and it had the same issue the 260 has oal and magazine ( which granted with a decent throat and decent mag isn't an issue). 6 Creed will last as long as any of the fast 6's and I have brass in the double digits on reloads. Honestly if you want something to last and be gentle on brass get a 6 bra and if mag is an issue get the MDT 6br mag they just released. For the record my rifle feeds 6 br flawless in aics, ARC and hell even Magpul mags unaltered.. I do however have two PVA kits for when it does fuck up. 6bra checks all the boxes with the MDT mag imo. Again though easy mode... 6 creed easy to get brass... Easy to get factory ammo if needed... Easy to get all the speed you want. Will you be the coolest kid on the block with a 6 xc or Dasher? Nope but it will do everything those will do.

243 has always had worse barrel life for me than 6creed and it had the same issue the 260 has oal and magazine ( which granted with a decent throat and decent mag isn't an issue). 6 Creed will last as long as any of the fast 6's and I have brass in the double digits on reloads. Honestly if you want something to last and be gentle on brass get a 6 bra and if mag is an issue get the MDT 6br mag they just released. For the record my rifle feeds 6 br flawless in aics, ARC and hell even Magpul mags unaltered.. I do however have two PVA kits for when it does fuck up. 6bra checks all the boxes with the MDT mag imo. Again though easy mode... 6 creed easy to get brass... Easy to get factory ammo if needed... Easy to get all the speed you want. Will you be the coolest kid on the block with a 6 xc or Dasher? Nope but it will do everything those will do.

Thanks for your help. This answers pretty much all my questions, and everyone else's posts have helped me a ton too. I'll talk with kelbly and gunware and see if I can play with a MDT mag too and see how I like it and if the 6bra may be the ticket with the MDT. 6bra is a fantastic round I just wanted to entertain the idea of a non br that would feed a little better.
Hopefully here in the next two months I'll have this build done and have shot a few matches with it.

Don't chase the lands, pick a bullet that shoots with a jump. I've found Berger's to shoot well backed 120-140 off the lands, instead of stuffed.

Biggest thing with every cartridge and barrel life, don't get the barrel hot. Let it cool and take it easy and suddenly you'll have a 243 with 2k rounds.

I've had stupid good luck feeding the brx from legacy sports mags (cheap plastic bottom metal + mag was $60) and magpul mags in a 700.

You could burn any one of the cartridges out in 1500rds if you run them hard. Shoot stout loads of 4350 to get that top velocity and you're going to have high chamber pressure and erode throats (and that's how they fall out of tune). 47 vs. XC vs. Creed vs. etc.... This is the 6mm circle jerk. Just pick one that Alpha makes brass for and run a mild load with the slowest powder possible. If you're fixated on velocity, imagine what your cartridge of choice will run 150fps slower than top end and ask yourself if you'd be happy with that. 47 doesn't have the boiler room to sandbag it or shoot slow powder. 6 Creed is a comfortable 3000fps with 115 DTACs using 4831SC, H1000, or RL26. And everyone makes brass for it. And a 700 clone action is sized around this cartridge well.

Not fixated on velocity. The difference between 2850 and 3000fps with the 6mm's isn't enough to really matter much on a 1-3moa piece of steel here in Missouri. We don't really have wind to worry about like many other places. The only load that I did push for a little more velocity was the .260 with rl16 because with 130 hybrids you could forget about wind and temp swings. That was a laser beam and the exception for me.

Reactions: reubenski
I've had great luck with the x47 as long as I'm using Varget and not hot rodding it. One rifle averaged .15 moa over 5 groups during load development, the other shot three back to back groups that averaged .16 moa at 100, and 6 of 7 shots at 200 went .17 moa getting an initial zero. Pretty fat accuracy node from 2950-3050 fps with 105 hybrids.

Or you can listen to the internet and not get one lol.

Added: RL16 and H4350 are not nearly as consistent and have a much narrower band for good accuracy and it will be harder to tune. Treating it like a dasher and sticking with varget is the key in my experience. I'd even go as far as to say that a lot of the reason the dasher / BRA is so accurate is that they also use varget / 105 hybrids. It seems anything that uses those two can shoot very small groups very consistently. The 6mm GT that GAP is coming out with is no exception either.

Attachments

• 20190411_101435.jpg
    20190411_101435.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 20190410_084726.jpg
    20190410_084726.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I like 243, but if I didnt have 800 pieces of new brass and15yrs of loading 243 knowledge, I'd be hard pressed to not use a 6x47 or 6creed. I think the case capacity of 6x47 is perfect for 2950-3050. That would give good throat and barrel life without beating up brass chasing fps. The 6 creed is in same fps range, guys can and do drive them faster but than complain about shit brass life....

I've been shooting steel with a 6br for 8+ yrs, it's a wonderful little case, but it gives up a fair amount of speed to the bigger 6s.

Reactions: Sutherlandsd
The difference between a 105 at 2800 and a 105 at 3100+ is pretty damn significant on paper. In function though it doesn't really bother me that much. I do miss pushing the 115s I ordered a 6.5 cm barrel though for longer ranges and windy conditions. My next round will be 6.5/284

The difference between a 105 at 2800 and a 105 at 3100+ is pretty damn significant on paper. In function though it doesn't really bother me that much. I do miss pushing the 115s I ordered a 6.5 cm barrel though for longer ranges and windy conditions. My next round will be 6.5/284

The difference between 2850 and 3000 isn't that much on a 1-3moa target in a low to no wind place like Missouri.

8mph wind with current atmosphere here today in Missouri.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190417-091059.png
    Screenshot_20190417-091059.png
    244.6 KB · Views: 40
I'm in TN our wind in the mountains is either non existent or Gale force... I absolutely love the 6 br round I have taken mine out to 1200 with regularity. If I miss I would have missed with a 6.5 caliber also or with a hot 6. I just spin on the 260 if the wind is up. I actually have a cutout in my pelican for two extra barrels lol.

The 108 bullet you used is not a great bc bullet, used them in 600yd with a 6br. They shot great but were low .5 bc range. Where speed makes a huge difference is ukd targets.

With how well the components get fit and finished I wouldn't expect a huge difference between most the common PRS 6mm's performance on a 1-3moa steel target. But since I've been shooting the 6.5's and a 308 I don't have much experience with pushing 6mm cartridges from a mag.

Black Bear tactical action
No mag kits
AICS mags
No nose diving
No mag problems
No headache feeding

That's really my goal with this build, load it and don't worry about a thing.

Right now I'm leaning towards a 6x47, 6xc, or 6gt. Wanting to be in the 2900-3050fps rrange. My concern with the gt is that availably of brass could be a major problem.
.243 gets my vote. You can shoot 108s 3400 FPS with R26 or 2850 FPS with H4831sc. Pretty versatile.

Got a question, I've got a 6cm on the way and new to the round. Looking at the MDT mags and the option is for 308 or 6mm BR. Which one do I need? TIA

On a side note, concerning the 243W I think it's an awesome cartridge BUT.....the 6SLR is what the 243 should've been. It's just a different sizing die that forms a 243 case into SLR the first time you size the case. It pushes the neck/ shoulder junction down to form a .300" neck and a 30* shoulder. Ballistically it isn't any different than the 243 but it gives you a longer neck to work with and the popular 30* shoulder. It doesn't require any extra work over a Sammi cartridge to form and run. Use the SLR/S reamer with the .075" freebore and a Hybrid fits perfect. A DTAC sits just below the neck/ shoulder junction. This starts the COAL out at 2.880". My last barrel finished out at 1750rds and the coal was something like 2.940. I sandbagged DTACs at 3000fps, QL estimated that load at 48,000 psi. I'm on my third barrel now.

I like this thinking, I like this thinking a lot.

Yes, if you’re free time is worth very little to you. You’d almost certainly have to turn necks also.
Ah, cheers mate. I have a lot of 308 palma laying around, but free time is closing on zero, so scratch that thought.

6XC
Just as the 6.5CM was designed as the schnizzle paper puncher by high power guys, so was the 6XC.

Easy to load for, shoulder gives great barrel life, and its accurate as all get out.

Reactions: atombomb