• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Best Long action Caliber for target shooting?

scottsnipe

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2008
Peoria, Arizona
I have a spare Long action Remmy I was thinking of going to rebarrel. It is currently .308 but was thinking of changing to possibly 30-06 or 300 wm, but just not sure if the bolt will still work. What do you guys reccommend?

Re: Best Long action Caliber for target shooting?

Depending on your use, paperpunching or hunting. If its paper there is no need for the heavy 220 grain bullets and massive powdercharge fromm a 300. 6,5 or 7mm something would i chose
6,5 is likely the optimum of long range performance when counting in component cost , barrel life etc.

Håkan

in a long action, standard bolt face, id say 280, 280AI or 284 winchester

I like the 300 win mag, it is one hell of a long range round and is econmical to shoot .

What kind of distance? I love my 300WM, but there are LA calibers that are easier to shoot accurately.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scottsnipe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a spare Long action Remmy I was thinking of going to rebarrel. It is currently .308 but was thinking of changing to possibly 30-06 or 300 wm, but just not sure if the bolt will still work. What do you guys reccommend? </div></div>

since you have a standard bolt face in a long action, my first choice would be a .284 winchester.

Either .284 or6.5x284 standard bolt less kick than a win mag, both have better long range projectile offerings than the .30

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">any of the 6.5 or 7mm cartridges based purely on ballistic coefficients. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patriotoutlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6.5-.284 </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NY700</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Either .284 or6.5x284 standard bolt less kick than a win mag, both have better long range projectile offerings than the .30 </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
since you have a standard bolt face in a long action, my first choice would be a .284 winchester. </div></div>

What these four said. Either a 6.5x284 or a 284.

I don't know what type of long range you are talking about, but if the barrel is good, all you need is a chamber reamer and HS gages to convert to an '06.

The 06 would make a great round to 1000 yards, without having to get beat up with a 300 WM.

My M-70 300 1000 yard rifle is heavy, but it still gets to me. In my old age I can to better with the '06 I put together for a 1000 yard gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jedi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">280AI </div></div>

That was my choice, love the caliber.

How fast are you guys with the 284 win able to push the 162 Amax?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rware91</div><div class="ubbcode-body">isnt a .308 a short action? </div></div>

Not on an M24, to name one rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brand692</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rware91</div><div class="ubbcode-body">isnt a .308 a short action? </div></div>

Not on an M24, to name one rifle. </div></div>

Or a Tikka!

John

o ok. thanks for clarifying. it is always good to learn something new.

Any of the 7mms would be great choice for better BC than 30calibers; and still a little more mass than 6.5s for calling shots long range.

For primarily target shooting, 6.5x 284.
For hunting the 30-06 with a great barrel and some great handloads would be a sweetie as well. (So much flexibility on bullet weights.)
.......SmokeRolls

build a 6.5 wsm on a LA. Or like the above said...284.

Well that sure are a lot of choices, let me narrow it down, I normally just kill paper, never hunted in my life so this is going to primarily be for target like metal steel plates or just paper. I want to be able to reach out to 600+ easily. Never shot 1000 yds so would like to be able to get close to that distance. I was thinking 300wm but the bolt face would have to be machined or replace because of the bigger shell. I would like to keep things to a minimum if possible. What other calibers work with a 308 bolt besides 30-06?

I honestly think for what you are looking for and need at this stage is a 308. I don't disagree with the suggestions above being better but I would suggest that the 308 is a great caalibre to learn with and once you've blown through 10k rounds and worn the barrel out you can then think about stepping up to the next level.

I agree with TJ if brass cost is a concern, but if you don't mind spending a little more on your brass I feel the 6.5x47 is going to perform better for you. Using it in a long action is not necessary but it does give you the additional magazine length to seat your bullets as shallow as you want without having feeding issues.

Well, the 6.5x284 does have a 308BF, but its the hot rod of target rounds. It is hard on barrels and burns considerably more powder than others.

Taking that into consideration, and your last post, I don't think it is the right cartridge for what you are doing.

Pockets9 recommendations for the 6.5x47 is good. Less powder capacity, but still have the high BC, high quality 6.5mm projectiles.

6.5x47 sounds like a good round, will the 308 bolt still work on it or does it need machining. No one mentioned 30-06 is that not a good round? I mainly wanted to try something different, I have so many rifles in 308 just thought the long action would give me a opportunity to try something new.

You asked, <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scottsnipe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No one mentioned 30-06 is that not a good round? I mainly wanted to try something different, I have so many rifles in 308 just thought the long action would give me a opportunity to try something new. </div></div>
You had already been told;
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hill billy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OOps, I missed that you said LA. If I was in that boat right now I'd pick 30-06 </div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 06 would make a great round to 1000 yards, without having to get beat up with a 300 WM.
My M-70 300 1000 yard rifle is heavy, but it still gets to me. In my old age I can to better with the '06 I put together for a 1000 yard gun. </div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For hunting the 30-06 with a great barrel and some great handloads would be a sweetie as well. (So much flexibility on bullet weights.)</div></div>

Wish I had the money to put together a 30-06 tacticool rifle!

based on what your doing i dont think you could go wrong with the .284. plenty of competitions won with this round the last few years the 7mm bullet line up is great and growing. You can do 3006 or 30-06AI to jazz it up a bit. bigger diameter bullet with make spotting shots a touch easier. but honestly i think your just burning more powder to not equal the .284 but of course ammo availability and bullet selection and casses for the '06 are easy and go with the ackley if you want some thing different and a few hundred fps faster

Best Long action Caliber for target shooting?

Its not practical at all but my vote would be the 7mm Allen Mag

"200 gr. ULD RBBT(.900 bc) 3200 to 3350 fps from 26” to 30” barrel"

But who wants to rebarrel every 800 rounds? Or track down custom 200gr 7mm bullets? Or spend x dollars on custom dies?

Weigh the pros and cons before you decide on anything.

i shoot a 243ai with 115 bergers at 3150 and its a lazer at 600 yds. it has very little recoil but at about 1700 rounds the barrel is pretty much shot