• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best manual case trimmer?

Conqueror

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2008
North Central FL
Wondering what you guys like for manual case trimmers. Have been using a Lee shell holder locked in a hand drill for a long time and am now looking for something dedicated, but unwilling to spend the $150+ on electronic models. Any recommendations as to which brand makes the best hand-cranked case trimmer? Thanks.

Re: Best manual case trimmer?

You might do a search in this section. There used to be a tutorial on reloading by doc76251.

I use a Wilson or an old Lyman that I have had for years.

Wilson/Sinclair Micrometer case trimmer.
If you are not willing to spend $150 on a trimmer, this is out of your price range. But if you are looking for consistancy and precision, this is it.

Wilson, if your only loading for 1 maybe 2 calibers I would skip the Sinclair micrometer thingie.

Wilson/Sinclair Micrometer case trimmer +1

Spend the money once & use it for life. Very well built.

Wilson....Cuts square case mouths and is fairly fast after you get the hang of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FIREMEDIC27</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wilson/Sinclair Micrometer case trimmer.
If you are not willing to spend $150 on a trimmer, this is out of your price range. But if you are looking for consistancy and precision, this is it. </div></div>

+1...

If you're only trimming for one caliber, the Wilson only costs $70 without the micrometer feature. You don't need that if you're only trimming for one caliber. Set the length once and you'll never need to touch it again.

If loading multiple calibers, a set of master cases allows quick and easy setup of the Wilson w/o the micrometer.

I'll sell you a Forster for a good price. They are great if you are doing multiple calibers. I replaced it with a Giraud.

I am cheap, so I bought a Lee Zip Trim and universal shellholder for my Lee cutter. It makes quick work. I clean off the lube, Trim, chamfer, deburr and deburr the flash hole all on the Zip Trim.

It is actually easier than the electric drill method. It will hold me over until I can afford a Giraud.

I have a question about the Lee shell holder and depth gadge tool with the trimmer, what is it suppost to get the piece of brass down to, I just checked 5 different pieces and they were all different.And with the shell holder tightened down, when I try to use the thing, and the brass just twists out of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: honkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a question about the Lee shell holder and depth gadge tool with the trimmer, what is it suppost to get the piece of brass down to, I just checked 5 different pieces and they were all different.And with the shell holder tightened down, when I try to use the thing, and the brass just twists out of it.</div></div>

They trim to 2.003-2.005 in .308 for me. I found using less rpms tends to keep the stubborn ones in the shellholder; it's not all of 'em, even a full speed, just some stubborn ones for some reason that like to twist out.

I have friends with the Redding 2400 w/ the drill adapter and it's quicker to change out shells, not to mention a one size fits all shellholder, than the Lee, but definately not as fast as the Gracey/Girauds style trimmers, which are really stupid fast and um kinda fun
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: honkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.....with the shell holder tightened down, when I try to use the thing, and the brass just twists out of it. </div></div>

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=352653

The answer to the brass twisting out.

Also lower RPM is your friend. Too fast will dull your cutter quickly.

I have used the Forester and the Wilson. Prefer the Wilson for ease of use. The Giraud is the best if you are doing alot of cases.

Randy P.

I feel the wilson is the most precise, but a thousandths or two difference in length won't hurt anything. The specific caliber shell holders suck, especially with a cartridge that will require a fired case holder and a unfired case holder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TBass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wilson/Sinclair Micrometer case trimmer +1

Spend the money once & use it for life. Very well built. </div></div>

Isint this what people say about Accuracy International rifles too?
Funny because I use one so that I can "use" the other.

+1

Almost forgot, anyone with the Sinclair/Wilson needs to check out their new base for it.

It is especially great for people with an arbor press who loads at the coffee table. It helps to keep the table cleaner and gives you a spot to knock the brass out of the case holders.

+1 <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Forster is a good choice.

I have two and an older Lyman with the universal chuck. Stupid spring loaded ball kept bouncing out and I finally lost it for good. I guess I should get off my butt and call them for a new one, but the Forsters work like, groovy man.

Looky here;

http://www.forsterproducts.com/Pages/class_trimmers.htm </div></div>

I just want thie thing to work really, just got it and anything to do with reloading here is a pain in the @$$ to get. What can I do to get it to work better?
I found that using the drill and tighting down the lock nut way lots seems to work.
It is brand new to, will it gett looser and work better after i get a couple dozen cases done?

Wilson, or a Wilson...or a Forrester after that.

I have the Wilson, Forster, RCBS, Lee, and cobbled up stuff of my own invention.

The trick is NOT trimming the brass:
A) It does not need to be as short as the load book's max case length.
B) You can stop making it grow with your FL sizing, by neck sizing or partial FL sizing.

If you can get the shooting next to the reloading, a population of brass can be put through it's lifetime in one experimental sitting. The .223 is SAAMI registered at 55kpsi, but if I run it closer to 70kpsi, I can only get one firing, FL sizing, and with .0100" growth it is time to trim again. With the Lee Collet neck die and .0005" growth, I can get 20 firings between trimmings. It is cost effective to just throw the brass away then, and never trim.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: honkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just want thie thing to work really, just got it and anything to do with reloading here is a pain in the @$$ to get. What can I do to get it to work better?
I found that using the drill and tighting down the lock nut way lots seems to work.
It is brand new to, will it gett looser and work better after i get a couple dozen cases done? </div></div>

Reverse the way you are trimming. Instead of putting the shell holder in the drill put the cutter in there. Make a handle to mount the shell holder in. I put my drill in a vice and lock the trigger at a slow rpm and let it run until I finish all the cases. You don't have to tighten the lock collar down near as tight because you can use your free hand to keep the case from spinning when the cutter gets a good bite. I can trim, debur, and chamfer 100 cases in about 30 minutes using this method.

David

Any built there own Girauds style trimmer? I wonder if there is a diy version out there on the cheap I could build?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bravo2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any built there own Girauds style trimmer? I wonder if there is a diy version out there on the cheap I could build? </div></div>

I would be in on that
laugh.gif