• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Best molded ear piece that you

Hunt4life

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2011
Can still hear commands. Got electronic noise canceling headphones but wan tsomething in ear.

Re: Best molded ear piece that you

Got mine made by my ear Dr....I believe you are best off having them custom made for your own ears. They are the type you can leave in and still talk.

Sort of like these

I do wear a headset over top while shooting, but this is probably not required. There are thicker versions available that I have been thinking of trying, then skipping the headset.
Nothing I hate like the clunk of earmuff meeting stock....

I also use custom ear plugs, although those are not available in the US, they have a NRR of 28 dB, which is good enough to shoot outdoors and still hear conversations, they only block out loud impuls sounds, like gun fire. Not suitable for indoor ranges, I do use electronic ears with the plugs. I don't like shooting rifles with mickey mouse ears.

I use EAR Inc. molded ear plugs. A rep came to my home to cast them, other guys do them at gun shows. The Chameleons have a Noise Reduction Rating of 30dB (+/- 3) and their Insta-mold models are the same. If you get the filter in the Chameleons, the NRR drops to 19, but you can hear conversions. http://www.earinc.com/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C-4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use EAR Inc. molded ear plugs. A rep came to my home to cast them, other guys do them at gun shows. The Chameleons have a Noise Reduction Rating of 30dB (+/- 3) and their Insta-mold models are the same. If you get the filter in the Chameleons, the NRR drops to 19, but you can hear conversions. http://www.earinc.com/
</div></div>
Those are the ones I was looking at.
Do you have to pull them to talk?

A lot of places offer custom plugs, like Ultimate Ears (http://www.logitech.com/en-us/ue/custom-in-ear-monitors/devices/custom-ear-plugs). If you scroll down, you can see the filters they have for different reductions. The trip to the audiologist isn't cheap, so factor that in. (~$50-80 last I checked).

The moldable DIY stuff isn't as good. Trust me when I say that you should get a trained audiologist to do it. When I got mine done she went WAY further than I would have on my own, and safely. Haven't seen the EAR inc. procedure. The way it's done professionally, they give you a 2" bite block to hold in your teeth. The put in a cotton ball on a string to block the canal and fill the ear with medical grade silicon with good pressure.

Honestly, though, these are passive and they will not provide enough protection for your hearing. They attenuate about 25 db from all noise and that isn't enough. Some foam plugs actually claim higher isolation in the 29 - 32 db range with proper (deep) insertion.

I have a custom set of the in ear monitors from Ultimate Ears (also not cheap) they are not be enough for a .223. I'm going to start doubling up with electronic muffs over them. Just got a set from MSA that needs a trial on the range.

Hope that helps. Check the other running thread about "Electronic Muffs or Plugs" for some good insight from other members.

X-fan,
I can usually hear OK without pulling them out, but folks need to speak up. I have the solid model. For 3-gun range/stage briefs I pull one out so I don't miss anything. When standing around waiting my turn on a stage I double up with ear muffs. When I shoot, I just run with the plugs so the muffs don't get in the way.

Autark,
I agree with this.
They really do earn their money and go to a lot of effort getting a perfect fit.
last time I was in I saw a new higher NRR rating on one of the custom plugs..Don't recall what it was, but I'm pretty sure it was 29.

One thing of further note mentioned by the era DR is earplugs do not cover the outer bone that transmits sound so will never be as good as muffs. Long term or extended expose requires muffs.

Thanks C-4