• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best school for CQB survival

former naval person

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 8, 2003
Mississippi
I know everybody has their own opinion and experiences...the reason for the question is, my good friend's son has graduated from college, been through the ROTC summer training schools...jump school, etc., and is due to enter active duty in March as an Infantry LT, USA. Undoubtedly headed toward Iraq or Afganistan. Which civilian school would give him the best firearms and tactics training, and also mesh best with the Army training he will receive, in order to give him the best survival skills when the SHTF? Thanks for the responses in advance.

Re: Best school for CQB survival

I would avoid diving too deep into tactics.

Having a solid understanding of the fundamentals of marksmanship and a good mind set will allow him a foundation to build off of.

I would highly recommend Rifle's Only Carbine and Handgun class.

Vickers Tactical -

Give Larry a call. He's more than knowledgable of Army protocols.

Another group - TFTT - Max and his team could be a solid choice as well. (TFTT.com)

F.N.P,

I would go with Vickers Tactical, Viking tactics, or Tiger Swan.

All three are from 1st SFOD-Delta and can teach a new 2nd LT just fine.

John

Thanks, John. I know he will get training in service...but, it is good to know something first. "Experience is the best teacher", they say, "And fools will have no other", is the remainder of the saying. If the advice is available, then he would be a fool NOT to take advantage of it. Random s..t is sometimes unavoidable, but...be prepared. Thanks for the advice. FNP

FNP,

Let me know if he takes a class, if he does it might be up here in NC and we could get together for lunch or something.
wink.gif

John

FNP, first thanks to both you and your son for your service. I've attended a class from Kyle Lamb (Viking Tactics). Lamb is an incredible shooter and instructor. However, for CQB instruction, I'd recommend Paul Howe, CSAT in Nacogdoches, Tx. Howe is also former Delta, and a great instructor. His focus is training LEO Swat teams and does a tremendous job.

Another nod for Vickers Tactical. I'll be hangin with Larry tomorrow and shooting monday and tuesday in one of his classes. This will be my 3rd Vickers class in the last 6 months, so, I guess you can say that I like his classes.
VA Dinger handles the arrangements for the classes with Larry and TigerSwan through Grey Group. PM him.

i see no reason to send him to a civilian class. it doesnt matter what he learns on the outside. he will be an lt, and will rarely, if ever, end up in a stack. good sqd leaders and psg will yank him out before his head gets a chance to get his rotc filled head in a stack. if he is already this high speed, i pray for his rto. also, every unit has a different sop on clearing. like cowboy said, work on the fundamentals. tell him to practice ready ups until he thinks his back is broken. then tell him to start doing them with gear.