• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best scope for around $1500

We compared the Sightron to the Cronus and found that the Sightron edged it just a bit.
Not much, as a matter of fact, it was more a personal preference type of thing, but as a complete package, the SVSSED was a bit better. The adjustments were just a bit crisper on the Cronus, but everything else went to the Sightron.

That reticle is way to busy for me, there's no way I'd buy it. Same thing with the Leo MK5, too busy for me and having a zero stop puts the sightron cost over 2k, basically $1000 more than I paid for my first Cronus new.

Last edited:
That reticle is way to busy for me, there's no way I'd buy it. Same thing with the Leo MK5, too busy for me and having a zero stop puts the sightron cost over 2k, basically $1000 more than I paid for my first Cronus new.

I’ve looked hard at the Cronus because it does seem like it’s a real winner at its price. Unfortunately, the lack of locking windage turret is a killer for me for use hunting.

If you read the OP, the SVSSED is available for less than 1500 with the first responder discount, even without the discount, it is competitively priced with all other high end Japanese made scopes.

LEUPOLD MK5HD 5-25. Just got mine yesterday from their mil/fed program direct. AWESOME scope, CCH reticle is the shit

If you read the OP, the SVSSED is available for less than 1500 with the first responder discount, even without the discount, it is competitively priced with all other high end Japanese made scopes.

Not a first responder, just googled it and it looked like it was 2200 if you wanted a zero stop, it was significantly cheaper without the zero stop. Most I've paid for a new Cronus was 1300. Doesn't matter though I wouldn't buy the Sightron, since I don't care for the reticle.

Last edited:
I’ve looked hard at the Cronus because it does seem like it’s a real winner at its price. Unfortunately, the lack of locking windage turret is a killer for me for use hunting.

For hunting I'd get the Midas Tac, capped windage, I have two on hunting rifles.

Reactions: YotaEer
Ive got the II that I picked up used for about $750. How does the glass in the III compare.

Way better, like way, the XTR II always had good reliability and tracking but the glass was always on par with $800 scopes from a generation ago. The new one is much better, I think the glass punches above its $1,800 price. I have not done a direct side-by-side but for my eye it seems to be better than a MK5, perhaps comparable or a bit behind an ATACR or Khales, and a definate step down from ZCO, TT, S&B.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maggot
I've got a budget of about $1500. Looking for opinions on glass. Must be atleast 34mm tube.

For the money, Im eyeing the Sightron SV 4.5x24x56 zero stop model. My discounted price on that optic is mid 1400's.... and for that price, Im having a hard time finding anything that'll beat this thing. I know razors can be had for 1600'ish... but not sure if its any better than the sightron. Ive seen some used NX8's for close, and other high end glass..

Throw me some ideas, or for under 1500, should I just rock the sightron
Midway is selling Mark 4 Leupold 8.5x25 for $999.00. I have one on my TRG outstanding scope & glass.

The new Tract Toric if you can save up $200 more. If you qualify for the LE/Mil discount, it gets you under.

Make sure you scroll to the bottom and make your account through the LE/Mil link. Not through the create account button that you would normally do. Otherwise you need to call, and email Jon directly, it's a whole thing.
^^^^^^^^

Reactions: JeffLebowski
Just wondering ... in these scope threads I almost never see anyone advocating for the Vortex Golden Eagle, which, for this thread, is priced right at the $1500 price point of the OP. I haven't had an opportunity to check one out personally, but I know several people that are pretty happy with theirs. Is there something about them that I'm not aware of that keeps them off of people's list of recommendations? Thanks.

Any experience with the ares ETR?

No, from what I've heard turrets are good, glass is just a bit lower in quality than the cronus. I was going to get one but a good deal popped up on the PX for the Midas Tac.

In that range I have tried the Bushnell, the Razor and the Athlon. My favorite in that price range was the Razor G2.

I've got a budget of about $1500. Looking for opinions on glass. Must be atleast 34mm tube.

For the money, Im eyeing the Sightron SV 4.5x24x56 zero stop model. My discounted price on that optic is mid 1400's.... and for that price, Im having a hard time finding anything that'll beat this thing. I know razors can be had for 1600'ish... but not sure if its any better than the sightron. Ive seen some used NX8's for close, and other high end glass..

Throw me some ideas, or for under 1500, should I just rock the sightron

I would take a look at trijicon ten mile 5-50 -60 I believe they have same glass as delta Stryker Japanese glass very good scope for the money

The Delta also focuses a little easier to me, and the reticle is fantastic (although I do like the Athlon reticles). My big beef with Trijicon when I looked at it a while back was the reticle. It just didn't suit my tastes, especially compared to the Delta reticle which is darn near perfect.

@patriot07 - which reticle did you go with in the Stryker? What's your application/use?

Spaced the comment of 34mm tube... is the difference that drastic between the 30 & 34mm?

Spaced the comment of 34mm tube... is the difference that drastic between the 30 & 34mm?

Not for 99% of people.

In fact, 99.8% of people will be perfectly fine with a 1" tube.

It's the motion of the ocean, brother...

• Haha
Reactions: winxp_man
Retail is one thing. Street price is even lower still, while being new in box, from retailers...
So, you're saying buying from a retailer isn't retail?
As I said, retail price is around 2200-2300 for the model with zero stop.

So, you're saying buying from a retailer isn't retail?
As I said, retail price is around 2200-2300 for the model with zero stop.

I guess it is but I see now I didn't explain myself well. Retailers will have their price on a scope for X amount but as with anything, you could get it even less during sales or with coupon codes, etc. You'll just have to shop around or wait a bit for the extra savings.

I have not nor will I look up the price on that specific scope but I'll take your word it's in the 2200-2300.
Thanks...

Ah, it said active military and leo. Generally things like that say Vet as well as Mil/LEO and occasionally first responders. So I assumed it was not open to vets. I'll send them my DD214, see what happens. Not like I haven't been rejected before.

I have the Sightron SV non zero stop, and I haven't mounted it but looked through it and played with the knobs etc. Glass is fantastic, windage and elevation clicks are pretty good, turret caps lock. Eye box is slightly better than my Stiener Tx5i. I don't care for the tree reticle but that's all that was available in that model. It is pretty light, 33.8oz.

Surprisingly few recommendations for the new Tract Toric 4.5-30X56. Is there better glass for the money?

Surprisingly few recommendations for the new Tract Toric 4.5-30X56. Is there better glass for the money?

I'm running 2 of them right now, one on my Terminus and one on my Vudoo.

I'll bring it to Alaska and let Frank and Marc play with them and compare with other scopes.

1593271417858.png

I really like it. Glass is great and bright. I really like the locking turrets. Parallax is very smooth and precise.

How you like it? Considering one myself, might wait for the illuminated version and get a old one cheaper.
I havent had a chance to shoot yet but had it outside in the yard and was looking off about 289 yards with it, and its very clear. I was on 30x watching a cat walk up a dirt road at close to 300 yards and could see it clear as day, the colors and markings on it... Im impressed.

I've never, not once had the need for illumination, not saying people dont, but for PRS style matches, there really isnt a need.

Reactions: Birddog6424
I've only used illumination once, results were a dead yote. Other than that I agree, not needed most of the time. Once the illuminated versions come out, I might can find a non-ill cheaper.

I've only used illumination once, results were a dead yote. Other than that I agree, not needed most of the time. Once the illuminated versions come out, I might can find a non-ill cheaper.
Not sure if youll find them cheaper than sport optics had them last week when I ordered, $1560. They were close to $1900 everywhere else.

Reactions: TrevK
Can I ask why you are not considering the RAZOR® HD GEN II 4.5-27X56 FFP at $1600 from Liberty Optics?