• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bighorn Origin Build Thread

Self chambered shoots bugholes all day long with factory hornady 143 eldx. It’s my favorite stick in the safe!
Night time she rides a Flir PTS 536 for critter gettin 😁

Attachments

• 6CC4FE83-4013-40CF-80CA-9E765FB42705.jpeg
    6CC4FE83-4013-40CF-80CA-9E765FB42705.jpeg
    277.1 KB · Views: 57
  • E7A9DAFA-396B-4624-98BB-D5CC35840F8F.jpeg
    E7A9DAFA-396B-4624-98BB-D5CC35840F8F.jpeg
    539.8 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: MPrimo
Just went to order a 223 Origin action from Brownell's and POOF ... all gone. Anybody know who might have one in stock (308 or 223)? My Google search came up empty at all the regular retailers.

That’s why I ended up having to go directly through Zermatt, couldn’t find stock anywhere. I’m at 10 weeks now, hoping this week it will be ready

Reactions: MPrimo
Post your Bighorn Origin builds here.

Mine is another masterpiece by Jon Beanland.

Bighorn Origin
#3 Bartlein 5R chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor finished at 24”
McMillan Adjustable Game Scout in Desert Carbon Ambush
Triggertech Diamond
APA Bottom Metal
Bighorn 20 MOA rail
SWFA rings
Bushnell 3-12 LRTSi
Flush cups on left side.

Load development was easy. Wind was unusually calm so I decided to do it at 500. Not picky at all. Biggest group of the day was the 130gr Berger AR Hybrids at .632 MOA. Best was 42gr H4350 behind the Berger 140gr Elite Hunter. That went .498 MOA. Five 5-shot groups with 5 different loads averaged .555 MOA at 500 yards. Taking this one for Caribou in a couple of weeks.

John

C7-B3-A901-8148-414-F-AC63-D2-D2-CB8-C85-AD.jpg

I picked the best charge from my 500 yard load development and put 5 rounds on paper at 100 today to make sure I had a good zero. Wind was gusting hard and bench was really wobbly or it would have been better. Made a .1 adjustment and reset the zero indicator. Battery ran out on my chronograph so I made a guess on velocity and took it to 820 to use the velocity truing function on Ballistic AE. Group was 4.5” low at 820 so I put that in Ballistic AE and it determined true velocity was 2790. Fired one more group at 820 using 2790 velocity and it was centered on aiming point. I think we’re ready for Caribou.

John

5-B8-AFE22-5-CBD-48-C6-9062-2-C353-C165-D45.jpg
Nice looking rifle and it sure preforms well.........good luck on your hunt !!

That’s why I ended up having to go directly through Zermatt, couldn’t find stock anywhere. I’m at 10 weeks now, hoping this week it will be ready

yeah I had to go through hunts long range, even they took awhile to ship it. Hard to find them right now

I'm trying to get my head around the prefit concept. I'm interested in an origin with a proof carbon barrel. I see that Proof offers a Zermatt pre-fit line, but what I want it OOS everywhere and proof told me december earliest yesterday.

If I'm tracking with how these actions work, could I just put a savage small shank in there and add a barrel nut? Headspacing of course. If so, which barrel nut?

I'm trying to get my head around the prefit concept. I'm interested in an origin with a proof carbon barrel. I see that Proof offers a Zermatt pre-fit line, but what I want it OOS everywhere and proof told me december earliest yesterday.

If I'm tracking with how these actions work, could I just put a savage small shank in there and add a barrel nut? Headspacing of course. If so, which barrel nut?

choose which ever looks best to you... but yes you can slap a savage barrel in there. some guys will even red loctite the nut in place (making sure their headspace is $$ first). but honestly proof barrels are an unbelievable bang for buck.

PVA
Keystone
Etc
Etc
Etc
All do shouldered prefits.

Reactions: King_beardsly
But that wrench$, lol. Im cheap like that. A barrel nut that had a longer taper and a couple spanner wrench holes would be neat.

Reactions: b6graham
I am wondering how much bolt slop/wiggle anyone else has, with the bolt fully open on their Origin actions? Mine is a long action.

End up getting your action yet?

End up getting your action yet?

No, I reached out to them after I hit 10 and they advised they got pretty backed up, which I can understand, and running about 2-4 weeks behind. Said they had a batch heading out for Nitride treating and mine would be in that one. They have been very good about communication. I shipped them my trigger and was confirmed they had it etc. Bummer about delay, but I’m not up in arms about it.

Still waiting somewhat patiently for my BA. I’m at 8ish weeks so hoping by the end of the month.

I'll have my new long action posted tomorrow. finally ready to go.

Been waitin with anticipation, where is it?
:whistle:

I've been resisting the temptation to do a LA Origin build for almost a year now, but getting weak in the knees.

TM6

Right there with you. The only thing holding me up from a L/A build is choosing between an Origin or a TL3. I already bought the barrel. Bartlein 30 cal 1:9" 32" finish at .900. Going to be a hoss.
Do it already. Origin for the win.

Reactions: gdonley308
Ok ... I'm in. Ordered an Origin action from Bugholes. Have a Proof CF barrel in 308 on the way as well as a KMW Sentinel being painted by Short-Bus. Will buy the barrel vise and tools next week. Would love a 223 bolt head and barrel as well. You guys are responsible for this ...

Can someone tell me if a Origin action will go in a MPA chassis without any modification having to be done to the bolt handle cutout due to the swept back bolt handle ?

Can someone tell me if a Origin action will go in a MPA chassis without any modification having to be done to the bolt handle cutout due to the swept back bolt handle ?
Just drop in and bolt down, no modification at all.
82F7A893-0AF8-4556-8D16-A05BBBF03920.jpeg

Bighorn Origin
XLR Envy Pro loaded up
Razor Gen 2
32" 1.25" straight 8 twist
30 Sherman Magnum
TBAC 338SR
27 pounds no mag or bipod

I'm 6' tall for reference

Attachments

• 174956.jpeg
    174956.jpeg
    248.5 KB · Views: 387
  • 175569.jpeg
    175569.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 405
  • 175571.jpeg
    175571.jpeg
    28.9 KB · Views: 379
  • 175575.jpeg
    175575.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 321
  • Screenshot_20200810-130412_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200810-130412_Gallery.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 263
  • 175575.jpeg
    175575.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
Ok ... I'm in. Ordered an Origin action from Bugholes. Have a Proof CF barrel in 308 on the way as well as a KMW Sentinel being painted by Short-Bus. Will buy the barrel vise and tools next week. Would love a 223 bolt head and barrel as well. You guys are responsible for this ...

Now it is getting a bit frustrating seeing that bugholes has them in stock, yet I'm sitting here at around 14 weeks directly from Zermatt and still don't have a notification that it is ready.

Now it is getting a bit frustrating seeing that bugholes has them in stock, yet I'm sitting here at around 14 weeks directly from Zermatt and still don't have a notification that it is ready.
You can always order in stock from multiple places if you need it asap.

The reason they show in stock is that they always have multiple orders in the queue and it fell in front of yours. We always process orders first in, first out. We're working as fast as we can on these actions and will get them out as soon as we have them.

For future reference, it's always better to check with our dealer network to find one faster than ordering directly from us. We're always up front with people on where to look for the fastest turn around.

If you're past 14 weeks, please email me and we'll work it out with you individually.

Thanks - Ray [email protected]

The reason they show in stock is that they always have multiple orders in the queue and it fell in front of yours. We always process orders first in, first out. We're working as fast as we can on these actions and will get them out as soon as we have them.

For future reference, it's always better to check with our dealer network to find one faster than ordering directly from us. We're always up front with people on where to look for the fastest turn around.

If you're past 14 weeks, please email me and we'll work it out with you individually.

Thanks - Ray [email protected]

Thank you for the clarification, didn't mean to come off as upset or a complainer. I'll wait patiently in my corner now and post up a pick when my rig is all set up :)

Brownells currently showing RH SA Origins Std,Boltface in stock.

TM6

Bighorn Origin
XLR Envy Pro loaded up
Razor Gen 2
30 Sherman Magnum
TBAC 338SR

You already got me thinking .30 with heavies vs 7mm.

TM6

Bighorn Origin
XLR Envy Pro loaded up
Razor Gen 2
30 Sherman Magnum
TBAC 338SR

Is this what you shoot for PRS? :LOL: I had to man. nice rig.

Origin
Bartlein mtu contour
223 Wylde chamber
Form 1 can
Trigger tech diamond
rattlecan painted whiskey 3 competition

3D3B9047-D8DB-4C71-95B0-092E9A12FF23.jpeg

Right there with you. The only thing holding me up from a L/A build is choosing between an Origin or a TL3. I already bought the barrel. Bartlein 30 cal 1:9" 32" finish at .900. Going to be a hoss.

If not a comp gun, I'd go Origin and put the difference into your glass. You and b6graham almost got me convinced to go 30SM, but still teetering back and forth it and the 28SM, I can't do both.

I'm outta here, already thinking of selling off a couple rifles to fund new builds.

TM6

Got word my barrel is done, just waiting on the action from Zermatt (just around 11 weeks so far).

I do think I’m gonna bedazzle my all black MPA and paint the sucker this coming weekend.

I’ve been creeping on this thread for some time now, moved some inventory from the safe, and now have a 99% complete Bighorn Origin build (waiting on an HLR recoil lug):

Origin SA
Proof CF 6.5 creedmoor TL3 pre-fit 20” barrel
KRG Bravo w/custom paint job (DIY by yours truly)
Trigger tech special
Steiner T5Xi 3x15
Rugged Micro30
Atlas bipod
Weight as pictured without ammo: 12.4 lbs

Attachments

• 611BA507-D027-4D89-84BA-F5E97F32571D.jpeg
    611BA507-D027-4D89-84BA-F5E97F32571D.jpeg
    555.6 KB · Views: 463
  • E791953B-2511-4D69-BA47-7EE3450A54CE.jpeg
    E791953B-2511-4D69-BA47-7EE3450A54CE.jpeg
    703.5 KB · Views: 414