Bighorn Origin Build Thread

kriller134

Private
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jul 9, 2017
orange county, ca
Great to hear. This is typically the solution to stiff or sticky bolts. Debris makes things a lot stiffer and good lubrication is always recommended for the smoothest operation.

If you have any issues, just let us know. We're always happy to help.
Probably a dumb question, but what’s the best way to lube the bolt?

smacha538

Private
Belligerents
Jul 28, 2014
Sugar Land, Tx.
Origin owners who are using a manners stock inlet for a 700...can we talk about whether or not this will for sure work? Heard both ways. Would be nice if I could just buy a ready to ship manners inlet for a 700. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Dustyplyr

Sergeant of the Hide
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2018
North Dakota
Origin owners who are using a manners stock inlet for a 700...can we talk about whether or not this will for sure work? Heard both ways. Would be nice if I could just buy a ready to ship manners inlet for a 700. Thanks in advance.
I bought a manners eh1 that was ready to ship for a r700 cut. Fit without issue

verdugo60

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jul 6, 2010
Denver, CO
Another fitment issue:
Bighorn is in my XLR Element chassis, still waiting on my barrel.

AICS mag seats fine, polymer mdt 223 mag takes a lot of force to seat, it fit just fine before the actin was in it. Where do I start dremeling?

Dustyplyr

Sergeant of the Hide
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2018
North Dakota
Mini chassis? And no ejection issues or bolt release issues?
Not a mini. It was inleted for a Remington 700 short action. Installed pillars with my bottom metal. No ejection or bolt release issues. Dropped right in and used it for hunting this last fall

Reactions: smacha538

jdodd

Private
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
May 23, 2011
Maine
Just finished my "Budget" Build and can't wait to get it sighted in when the weather clears up!

Origin Action
Triggertech Special
KRG Bravo
KRG Minimalist Spigot
Magpul Bipod
Criterion 26" 6.5CM / NSS Varmint Profile
Northland Barrel Nut
Area 419 Hellfire
Seekins Precision 34mm Rings
Bushnell Elite Tactical DMR 2 PRO

Im in love with this build so far.

BlueFalcorn

Private
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2019
Finished this for my father yesterday:

Origin Action
TriggerTech Special
KRG X-Ray (need the spigot)
26in Shilen Stainless 6.5 Creedmoor with NSS barrel nut
APA Gen 2 Lil Bastard
Harris Bipod
Bushnell XRS II with Vortex Precision Rings (lower rings on order, used what I had on hand from another build).

Attachments

CHADPEZZLE

Private
Belligerents
Dec 29, 2009
Sonoma County
Can any of you guys confirm which Hawkins Precision Hybrid rings fit the Origin action. I wanted to order a set, but noticed there were two mounting/fitment options.

Option A: Factory Remington 700 spacing
Option B: Stiller/Lone Peak

I remember seeing some guys running them, so I know they fit. Just wanted to confirm before ordering.

Thanks for the help

spife7980

Luchador
Belligerents
Feb 10, 2017
Central TX
Can any of you guys confirm which Hawkins Precision Hybrid rings fit the Origin action. I wanted to order a set, but noticed there were two mounting/fitment options.

I remember seeing some guys running them, so I know they fit. Just wanted to confirm before ordering.

Thanks for the help
Just buy picatinny rings and skip trying to direct mount them.

santee116

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jul 19, 2010
Palmetto State

Thanks for the help
Not sure about the Hawkins, but I've researched potential rings from Talley and I'm pretty sure these will work.

To be fair, I've not confirmed that with talley yet, but they are local to me so I'm just going to stop in next time I'm in the area.

6brshooter

Sergeant
Belligerents
Oct 2, 2012
Illinois
Mini chassis? And no ejection issues or bolt release issues?
Origin in a t6a gen2 mini chassis, 700 ejection port inlet but came with a bolt release cut20200417_023641.jpg20200417_140449.jpg
After a little careful hand filing.

I was running a 6creed barrel on it, brass ejected cleanly but they did just glance across that 700 cut. Not enough to alter ejection pattern, but it bugged my ocd.

6brshooter

Sergeant
Belligerents
Oct 2, 2012
Illinois
20200430_120737.jpg
This was in an ax chassis but recently moved to this t6a. Just finished putting the 3way adj butt plate on, haven't really adjusted yet other than pad height.20200426_174540.jpg
Barrel sped up and was testing some slower loads. Shot the old load that had sped up 50fps, but was out of poa on target. Put 1 rd for aiming point and shot 10 more, I can cover 9.5/10 bullet holes with a dime.

Last edited:

reubenski

First Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO

Thanks for the help
Option B Stiller

Reactions: CHADPEZZLE

levi8599

Sergeant
Belligerents
Nov 26, 2012
AZ
Ended up with my 2nd origin. Both rifles are pretty identical. I posted the 7saum before in black and now have the 25cm in green Don’t know why the photo is sideways. Probably going to get a 3rd and throw a 22” proof cf and a gunwerks clymr on it for a light hunting rifle.

mpa chassis
TT triggers
Minox on the green
Razor 2 on the black
Saum in black is rem varmint contour
25cm in green is m40 contour
2AB1C549-3F85-47D3-A863-E722FAC6FAA5.jpeg

Reactions: Army First

milanuk

F'ing nuke
Belligerents
Mar 23, 2002
Wenatchee WA
So are the TT triggers pretty much the go-to, guaranteed option that won't f$ck up the bolt lift?

I've struggled with my Origin pretty much since day one. First had a CG Extreme Mod 22 I wanted to put on it - and the bolt lift was more like two-fisted opening, rather than two finger. Tried a Timney CE, same thing. Tried a couple tuned 40X and 700 triggers, that were 'better'. Ended up with another Timney, but it still wasn't great. And by that, I mean heavier bolt lift than even my roughest Savage. Smooth operation, but ridiculously heavy bolt open and close.

Finally sent the action off to a gunsmith to have the lift worked over, and it was finally 'good'. And about three weeks later, I found that my .223 bolt head was causing off-center firing pin strikes, and leaving wear marks on the firing pin. Bighorn replaced the bolt head and firing pin assy, no questions asked (yay!)... but now I'm back to a 'stock' cocking piece that gives heavy bolt lift again - with the Calvin Elite.

After seeing everyone else gushing about how great their Origins are, I'm starting to wonder if the trigger is what's screwing mine up?

levi8599

Sergeant
Belligerents
Nov 26, 2012
AZ
I had only used timney before on other rifles. With all the things I was reading I just went with TT from the beginning. My two actions are about 800 apart in ser number. The earlier one has the very slightest COC, but not enough to bother me. The newer one has pretty much no COC. Both of them I can lift with my fingers though. Haven’t had any issues with either of them.

Reactions: milanuk

b6graham

MMPRL
Belligerents
Jul 29, 2014
So are the TT triggers pretty much the go-to, guaranteed option that won't f$ck up the bolt lift?

I've struggled with my Origin pretty much since day one. First had a CG Extreme Mod 22 I wanted to put on it - and the bolt lift was more like two-fisted opening, rather than two finger. Tried a Timney CE, same thing. Tried a couple tuned 40X and 700 triggers, that were 'better'. Ended up with another Timney, but it still wasn't great. And by that, I mean heavier bolt lift than even my roughest Savage. Smooth operation, but ridiculously heavy bolt open and close.

Finally sent the action off to a gunsmith to have the lift worked over, and it was finally 'good'. And about three weeks later, I found that my .223 bolt head was causing off-center firing pin strikes, and leaving wear marks on the firing pin. Bighorn replaced the bolt head and firing pin assy, no questions asked (yay!)... but now I'm back to a 'stock' cocking piece that gives heavy bolt lift again - with the Calvin Elite.

After seeing everyone else gushing about how great their Origins are, I'm starting to wonder if the trigger is what's screwing mine up?
did you time it to the trigger?

milanuk

F'ing nuke
Belligerents
Mar 23, 2002
Wenatchee WA
did you time it to the trigger?
As mentioned, had to send it off to the gunsmith to have the cocking piece worked over to get the bolt lift within acceptable limits. Like, literally, a few weeks beforehand.

I'm not entirely sure I liked the results / way it was done, which is why I'm not in a rush to send it right back to have it ground down again.

As I said, I see everyone putting TT on theirs and just gushing about how wonderful everything is - I'm *assuming* they're not having to have a $hitload ground off the cocking piece to make it usable...

reubenski

First Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I use trigger Tech's in my RimX and TL3s, Jewell in the Origin. I've timed all of them. Regardless of the trigger used you're likely going to have to time them to get the lightest close. I'm not sure why someone would send an action off to have the trigger timed. It's in the same complexity and difficulty level as tuning a mag.

Reactions: RFutch

milanuk

F'ing nuke
Belligerents
Mar 23, 2002
Wenatchee WA
...other than fucking up the mag lips is less likely to cause an unsafe condition and/or AD.

I've done a fair bit of DIY stuff on my guns over the years; the fire control system (trigger, sear, etc.) is one area I've stayed away from.

I find it kind of ironic, coming from a Savage, that the 'answer' seems to be "go grind on the cocking piece until it works right" :unsure:

reubenski

First Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
...other than fucking up the mag lips is less likely to cause an unsafe condition and/or AD.

I've done a fair bit of DIY stuff on my guns over the years; the fire control system (trigger, sear, etc.) is one area I've stayed away from.

I find it kind of ironic, coming from a Savage, that the 'answer' seems to be "go grind on the cocking piece until it works right" :unsure:
🤷 Just keep doing what you're doing then, I guess....

Superjet

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2019

If you have a caliper or depth gauge and can measure the amount of firing pin travel when the rifle is cocked, and then cocked and closed Zermatt can send you the correct cocking piece so that you won't have to file down anything. You could also send your action and trigger to Zermatt and they'll make it right for a small fee. Ray's a great guy to work with. One other thing that applies to any action, if bolt operation is less than ideal, always double check your action screw length.

Vandoogle13

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2019
WY
Switched my origin from my match rifle to my hunting rifle.
Orgin SA
6.5 prc built by fritz at black canyon customs
Triggertech special
Bartlein CFW remington varmint 1-7.5 twist
Krg bravo
Timed Thunderbeast brake
Burris xtr3 sc2 3.3-18x50
Nightforce rings medium 1"
Atlas bipod

Attachments