• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bighorn Origin Build Thread

Push feed bolt head? You’ve got my interest peaked, tell me more.
Like most know, Origins come standard with control round feed. However, I read online where 223AI has some minor feeding problems with a standard CRF head, so ran it by Ray who told me the same. Zermatt makes special push feed heads that they will swap out for you if requested. As far as I've read, only 223 AI really has this problems although I'm sure there are obscure chamberings that might benefit from it as well. I had 0 cycling problems yesterday no matter how fast or slow I ran the bolt.

That’s interesting, I didn’t know they did those and didn’t know the 223ai had issues with the control feed but then again I haven’t really looked at the 223 stuff lately.

Origins SA W/ standard & 224v boltface
Krg Bravo
Trigger Tech Diamond
Sig Tango 6 5-30x56 Dev-L MRAD
ARC M10
ARC Barloc
419 Hellfire
Cheapskate precision - night vision bridge
6.5CM NSS 1-7.5 26in MTU
224valkyrie X-caliber 1-7 21in medium Palma

Attachments

• D50F5F63-D476-4499-BF68-879D6D528D14.jpeg
    D50F5F63-D476-4499-BF68-879D6D528D14.jpeg
    192.5 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:
In was going to do a 223ai and had a push feed bolt head. Just sent it back for a mag head to do a 7wsm. I was told it was the way to go as well.

Anyone run in to an origin not being able to close the bolt (without any gauge in chamber) on a barrel? Recently got a new shouldered barrel that was ordered for Origin. Torqued it to 45 lb-ft. Now the bolt will not fully close on the action. It's almost like it has a no-go gauge in there but there isn't any gauge at all. The smith will take it back to look at it but I'm wondering if there are any measurements I can take or other things I can look at to get better idea on if issue is the barrel or the action. Ideas?

Anyone run in to an origin not being able to close the bolt (without any gauge in chamber) on a barrel? Recently got a new shouldered barrel that was ordered for Origin. Torqued it to 45 lb-ft. Now the bolt will not fully close on the action. It's almost like it has a no-go gauge in there but there isn't any gauge at all. The smith will take it back to look at it but I'm wondering if there are any measurements I can take or other things I can look at to get better idea on if issue is the barrel or the action. Ideas?
Was it cut for a Origin or a TL3 to use the Hunts recoil lug? What’s the thickness of your lug? .150” or .250”

Well its assembled origin with 26in proof 6.5cm
Triggertech flat primary
area 419 hellfire

Have a vortex pst 6-24 going on it but need rings and to just decide on a dam stock or chassis been waiting for a stockies vg2 in bare carbon but thinking may go another route now or maybe an mpa matrix
View attachment 7266074
KRG Bravo works great!

Is the barreled action on a stock? If so, the front screw might be too long and hitting bolt lug. If not, sounds like tenon is too long on barrel and the bolt face is making contact with it. Can you see any marks on bolt head or tenon face?

Is the barreled action on a stock? If so, the front screw might be too long and hitting bolt lug. If not, sounds like tenon is too long on barrel and the bolt face is making contact with it. Can you see any marks on bolt head or tenon face?
No, It was just the barreled action. I installed barrels on a short action Origin and a long action Origin last night. Tested both before install on stock as that was suggested to me previously.

Long action was a 300PRC proof prefit and worked great. Had go and no-go gauges and no issues with it. It did hit issues in its stock, an EH1A, where manners didn’t cut bolt handle channel enough for tactical knob but they sent me UPS tag to return stock and barreled action and they’ll fix it.

The 6.5PRC custom barrel does seem to either have issue with tenon or the action itself being out of spec. Anyone know expected distance from shoulder to chamber end of barrel?

I haven’t yet taken the barrel back off to look for impact marks. Will do so tonight.

I thought I wouldn’t need a 6.5PRC set of gauges since it was a shouldered barrel but now I’m wondering if I trust the barrel enough even if claimed to be fixed. May have to get some for it.

Last edited:
No, It was just the barreled action. I a short action Origin and a long action Origin last night. Tested both before install on stock as that was suggested to me previously.

Long action was a 300PRC proof prefit and worked great. Had go and no-go gauges and no issues with it. It did hit issues in its stock, an EH1A, where manners didn’t cut bolt handle channel enough for tactical knob but they sent me UPS tag to return stock and barreled action and they’ll fix it.

The 6.5PRC custom barrel does seem to either have issue with tenon or the action itself being out of spec. Anyone know expected distance from shoulder to chamber end of barrel?

I haven’t yet taken the barrel back off to look for impact marks. Will do so tonight.

I thought I wouldn’t need a 6.5PRC set of gauges since it was a shouldered barrel but now I’m wondering if I trust the barrel enough even if claimed to be fixed. May have to get some for it.
A quick measurement with what I had handy come out to around .882"

Attachments

• Origin.jpg
    Origin.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 117
Reactions: j741
No, It was just the barreled action. I installed barrels on a short action Origin and a long action Origin last night. Tested both before install on stock as that was suggested to me previously.

Barrel tenon length should be 0.8900" +.0000" / -.0100" per our print.

Last edited:
Thanks all. I packed up the barrel to send back to the smith. With something that can cause physical harm, I think its best for them to inspect/resolve.

C318D79D-F791-4DD5-9535-CC55E58FFE00.jpeg

Origin action (obviously)
X-caliber Savage pre fit
6.5 Creedmoor 24 inch MTU
MDT Oryx chassis
Triggertech Primary
Area 419 Hellfire
Arken EP4 4-16

Tried to throw a build together that was affordable but still decent quality. 50 rounds down the pipe so far and already around a half inch at 100 fireforming brass. Probably will upgrade trigger to a TT Special as I have one on another rifle and it definitely is worth it over the primary. Action has been great, however my bolt lift is pretty heavy (almost but not quite Savage heavy) so I’m afraid there might be a little bit of timing weirdness going on. Bolt close has been very effortless and smooth. Any advice regarding the lift would be appreciated. Otherwise very happy with the build so far and look forward to unlocking its full potential going forward.

Last edited:
View attachment 7276168

X-caliber Savage pre fit
MDT Oryx chassis
Triggertech Primary
Area 419 Hellfire
Arken EP4 4-16

Tried to throw a build together that was affordable but still decent quality. 50 rounds down the pipe so far and already around a half inch at 100 fireforming brass. Probably will upgrade trigger to a TT Special as I have one on another rifle and it definitely is worth it over the primary. Action has been great, however my bolt lift is pretty heavy (almost but not quite Savage heavy) so I’m afraid there might be a little bit of timing weirdness going on. Bolt close has been very effortless and smooth. Any advice regarding the lift would be appreciated. Otherwise very happy with the build so far and look forward to unlocking its full potential going forward.

How do you like the Oryx? Looks nice.

View attachment 7276168

X-caliber Savage pre fit
MDT Oryx chassis
Triggertech Primary
Area 419 Hellfire
Arken EP4 4-16

Might need a little timing magic, give ray over at @Zermatt Arms an email about what you’re feeling and he’ll get to on the right path. I believe the origins cock mostly on the bolt rise, as opposed to the tl3’s that are a 50/50 cocking cycle which feel awesome. That being said my origin feels buttery smooth now that I got the revision bolt along with the different cocking piece to correct the slight over cocking.

Reactions: txguero
How do you like the Oryx? Looks nice.

So far pretty good. I like the weight balance on it a lot and it looks pretty good. I have to say I’m probably a little partial to my KRG bravos for the price but that might change a little over time. Probably will be changing grip out pretty soon for something more vertical.

Reactions: 223Pete
So far pretty good. I like the weight balance on it a lot and it looks pretty good. I have to say I’m probably a little partial to my KRG bravos for the price but that might change a little over time. Probably will be changing grip out pretty soon for something more vertical.
How do you like the arken?

How do you like the arken?

Clarity and overall glass quality is excellent. Limited tracking so far seems pretty good. The turrets have a little bit of weird over travel between clicks but it’s not hard to feel what’s happening. The zoom and parallax adjustments are super tight but I’m sure that’ll get better with time. Only serious complaint is that the reticle is way too fine. In sunlight it’s not too bad but if you’re shooting low light or something with a dark backdrop it gets kinda hard to see the center aiming point. Solid scope for the price though.

Might need a little timing magic, give ray over at @Zermatt Arms an email about what you’re feeling and he’ll get to on the right path. I believe the origins cock mostly on the bolt rise, as opposed to the tl3’s that are a 50/50 cocking cycle which feel awesome. That being said my origin feels buttery smooth now that I got the revision bolt along with the different cocking piece to correct the slight over cocking.
Lift isn't affected by timing. Only close.

Unfortunately there isn't much that can be done to lighten lift. There's a chance there's a burr on the firing pin spring that's rubbing the firing pin shaft. Or the clearance on the barrel could be a little tight. There are a few different ways to check all of that. If you'd send me an email, I can walk you through checking different things with the bolt lift.

Thanks - Ray

Has anyone used the Hunts LR recoil lug on the Origin SA with a TL3 barrel? Any issues or business as usual?

DSC_1002.jpg

Here is the first photo of the build for now (it's up on my instagram as well: @sterling.a.williams) . Origin, Proof barrel, Leupold Mark V 5-25, APA little bastard, KRG Bravo, Triggertech Diamond, Atlas CAL gen 2, accurate mag.

I am selling the KRG bravo if anyone is interested (Rem 700 short RH)

I broke my firing pin. I had 2700+ live rounds and approx 15,000 dry fires on it when it went.

Lift isn't affected by timing. Only close.

Unfortunately there isn't much that can be done to lighten lift. There's a chance there's a burr on the firing pin spring that's rubbing the firing pin shaft. Or the clearance on the barrel could be a little tight. There are a few different ways to check all of that. If you'd send me an email, I can walk you through checking different things with the bolt lift.

Thanks - Ray

Very happy to report that after disassembling/cleaning bolt, firing about 50 more rounds, and cycling quite a few times, the lift has substantially decreased! Much smoother now luckily.

Very happy to report that after disassembling/cleaning bolt, firing about 50 more rounds, and cycling quite a few times, the lift has substantially decreased! Much smoother now luckily.
Great to hear. This is typically the solution to stiff or sticky bolts. Debris makes things a lot stiffer and good lubrication is always recommended for the smoothest operation.

If you have any issues, just let us know. We're always happy to help.

Mine (ordered 01/10/20) Shipped out yesterday. Should be at my FFL tomorrow. It is the last piece to the puzzle. I'm excited.

Reactions: MarinePMI
I'm getting some firing pin drop on slow bolt close. Gave them some measurements and now I'm gonna be receiving new cocking piece. Great customer service

I filed a bit off of cocking piece. Had a bit of cock on close. Now there isnt any but firing falls like .010

My first origin had .025 or .030 coc. I stoned it .005 short of the target amount. I paid close attention to original angle and shape of face of cocking piece. Did not have an issues with ignition.

Edit: that action had a bix tacsport pro 2 stage with correct top sear. The origin I have now had zero coc with a giessele 2 stage. It was a new action with standard cocking piece.

I was just curious... wonder if the metal underneath was softer than the surface?

Mine is off at a gunsmith for a bit of tweaking. Lots of things I'll DIY; fire control / ignition systems aren't one of them.

Bighorn 223 trainer done
Criterion 223 match chamber 26"
Mpa lite
Jewel trigger
Atlas cal gen 2
Vortex pst 2

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200329-113844_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20200329-113844_Messages.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 180
Reactions: Army First
As far as builds go, here's mine

20200319_092627.jpg
20200319_092603.jpg
20200319_092616.jpg

Origin action, McMillan A6 PRS stock, 26" Krieger MTU 8tw in 223 Rem. Timney Calvin Elite trigger, Seekins DBM bottom metal.

Bedding by Rolen Gunworks
Barrel by RBros Rifles

Reactions: txguero
Posted in the 300 PRC thread but figure I might as well share this here to. My build for the NF ELR match.

Bighorn Origin LA Action
26inch Bartlein 1-8 Barrel - chambered by DMR LLC
MDT ACC Chassis
Trigger Tech Diamond
APA Fat Bastard Gen 3

Attachments

• DSC_5683.jpg
    DSC_5683.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 215
Here's my Dasher. It's in a PRS-1 with a 26" Proof Competition in 7.5" twist, Hawkins bottom metal, and a Timney Calvin Elite. It's borrowing the Mark IV off of another rifle for the time being. I'd like to get another Nightforce NX8 or an ATACR for it when funds allow. I'm really digging the construction and look of Foundations and think I might opt for one of them in the future instead of the PRS-1.
Whats the color combo on this? Also might be will to throw around the idea of a trade if you're looking to get rid of this for a foundation.

Great to hear. This is typically the solution to stiff or sticky bolts. Debris makes things a lot stiffer and good lubrication is always recommended for the smoothest operation.

If you have any issues, just let us know. We're always happy to help.
Probably a dumb question, but what’s the best way to lube the bolt?

Patiently waiting for my big horn action pork sword build but all these pics in here are making me jealous