• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bighorn Origin Build Thread

Has anyone had issues with installing triggers into brand new origin? I tried installing tt special in my brand origin today and i just could not get one of the trigger retaining pins to seat. In general the pins would barely go in. Is this normal? Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 80D06D43-3E96-4CB5-AAE0-CD02723E77B3.jpeg
    80D06D43-3E96-4CB5-AAE0-CD02723E77B3.jpeg
    485 KB · Views: 137
Has anyone had issues with installing triggers into brand new origin? I tried installing tt special in my brand origin today and i just could not get one of the trigger retaining pins to seat. In general the pins would barely go in. Is this normal? Any suggestions?
Does it seat without the trigger, what if you swap front and rear pins, do they go in then? Aka, does the problem move with the pin or the hole or both?

Does it seat without the trigger, what if you swap front and rear pins, do they go in then? Aka, does the problem move with the pin or the hole or both?

They do not seat without the trigger, the holes in the trigger have a much looser tolerance than the action itself. Both pins are very tough to insert regardless of which hole I put them in.

Dredging the thread to the top....

Hey fellas, anyone running the Origin SA in BDL format?

If so, how well does it feed?

Got a bunch of spare parts laying around and can cobble one together albeit in BDL SA.

Thanks!

I'm running a BDL setup. I had mine cut for a wyatts box locally and run 6.5 PRC out of it. I didn't have to touch the feed rails, mostly just fiddled with the box and follower so it wouldn't hang up. This was before they had a PRC specific follower. Anyway, it feeds well. If you were running a standard/non-mag bolt face short action round it should work great. Only (minor) complaint is top loading the fat PRC rounds through the ejection port is a learned skill. Should be easier on standard bolt face rounds, but just know theres not as much of an opening there as there is on a Remington 700.

My first rifle I've ever built/chambered.

Big Horn Origin
Bartlein Barrel 3B contour cut to 18.5"
Chambered in 7mm/08
Grayboe Terrain Stock
TT Trigger
PTG bottom metal
Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18
How did that 7mm/08 shoot out to range? What twist did you choose. Was it a 1100 yard rifle or was it transonic out there? Curious

How did that 7mm/08 shoot out to range? What twist did you choose. Was it a 1100 yard rifle or was it transonic out there? Curious

Honestly, I've never shot it passed about 800 yards, and I've only done that a few times. I don't have access to a range with that kind of distance so I have no idea where my transonic distance would be.

It's a1:8 twist barrel, I don't reload and probably won't in the near future. It shoots factory Nosler Trophy Grade 140 Accubonds excellent, I think it was right around 2700 FPS with those rounds. I shot a little bit of the Hornady ELDX, but it's gotten harder to find and I liked the performance of the Accubonds for hunting which is the primary use for this rifle.

Reactions: CcoFirst
My 6.5CM Origin is finally together and ready for the range!

KRG Xray
Proof 24” Sendero in 6.5CM
Badger Rings
TT special
Trijicon tenmile FFP 4.5-30x56

Attachments

• 9E3D8361-ED4A-4127-B607-817D224F9EF6.jpeg
    9E3D8361-ED4A-4127-B607-817D224F9EF6.jpeg
    678.1 KB · Views: 190
Honestly, I've never shot it passed about 800 yards, and I've only done that a few times. I don't have access to a range with that kind of distance so I have no idea where my transonic distance would be.

It's a1:8 twist barrel, I don't reload and probably won't in the near future. It shoots factory Nosler Trophy Grade 140 Accubonds excellent, I think it was right around 2700 FPS with those rounds. I shot a little bit of the Hornady ELDX, but it's gotten harder to find and I liked the performance of the Accubonds for hunting which is the primary use for this rifle.
I have wanted a 7/08 for hunting. Just hard to lay down the old reliables from my safe

I am throwing together an Origin build with parts on hand. Hard to order some parts for now. Short action in the safe and I am bored.
Looking at using the Athlon Cronus 56 mm scope, eventually with a Proof carbon fiber barrel but with one of the barrels on hand for now. Magpul Pro or a KRG Bravo stock.
What height scope rings? Would like enough clearance for flip up scope lens covers.

Cameraland has some Cronus combo deals with Steiner MSR, Athlon MSR, or Athlon medium rings.

I had an Origin with a proof carbon sendero barrel and a Cronus scope, with 1.125 rings and it was fine with scope caps. The 1.125 rings are mediums if I remember correctly, but of course ring heights are a matter of personal preference, but those worked fine for me.

Reactions: Matagorda308
Had Gunware build my dream hunting rifle recently. Bare rifle was just shy of 7lbs, total weight was right at 10lbs.

Bighorn Origin long action magnum
Proof carbon fiber 20 inch 1-10 twist 300 Winchester magnum
Manners Eh1 stock
Hawkins Precision long action DBM CIP length
TriggerTech special trigger
Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50
ARC M10 Rings
Silencerco Omega 30 can

View attachment 7520823View attachment 7520825View attachment 7520827View attachment 7520828
View attachment 7520831

What height ARC rings did you use?

Im getting ready to order a Origin for a 6.5CM build. Is anyone running a Proof Stainless Pre-Fit? Would like to see what the Compition contour looks like and how the barrel shoots.

Top to bottom-
26" Proof Competition
24" MTU by PVA
26" Rem Varmint
22" Marksman by PVA

I haven't shot the Proof yet. I'll get some pics of it in a MPA chassis. It barely clears the NV hood.

Attachments

• PXL_20210125_031026990.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20210125_031026990.PORTRAIT.jpg
    426.3 KB · Views: 227
I also posted this in main Bolt Action before I saw this thread

I just got my second Bighorn / KRG Bravo rifle built - The first has a 6.5 CM Steel and 300 WSM Proof Carbon barrel with a TL3.

The second is a Origin / KRG Bravo with a 6.5 PRC Proof CF barrel - Both are extremely accurate and have Tactical Bolt Handles and Timney Calvin Elite Triggers.

Much to my surprise the Origin Bolt sweeps back 45 degrees and raps my trigger finger knuckle (it is a light rifle with the proof carbon) and the 6.5 PRC makes it jump a bit when I fire - It is like a catholic nun rapping your hand with a ruler in school.

The fine folks at Bighorn will help me fix the problem as well as my gunsmith so I am not worried it will not get resolved - we are first going to swap out the tactical bold handle for a teardrop that has a smaller circumference and see it that fixes it. If not perhaps one of the smaller bolt handles like a spiral - but I want to avoid the small handle as I think it would make the follow up shot slower.

I did quite a bit or research on the Origin and never identified the substantial difference on the bolt angle from the TL3 or I would have just got a second one of those. I consider it a design flaw although they got a ton or requests asking for it.

Has anyone experienced this, why would someone want a sweeped back handle instead of straight like the TL3 and am I alone in the way I have my trigger finger placed where this would happen - just curious and would appreciate commentary

I also posted this in main Bolt Action before I saw this thread

I just got my second Bighorn / KRG Bravo rifle built - The first has a 6.5 CM Steel and 300 WSM Proof Carbon barrel with a TL3.

The second is a Origin / KRG Bravo with a 6.5 PRC Proof CF barrel - Both are extremely accurate and have Tactical Bolt Handles and Timney Calvin Elite Triggers.

Much to my surprise the Origin Bolt sweeps back 45 degrees and raps my trigger finger knuckle (it is a light rifle with the proof carbon) and the 6.5 PRC makes it jump a bit when I fire - It is like a catholic nun rapping your hand with a ruler in school.

The fine folks at Bighorn will help me fix the problem as well as my gunsmith so I am not worried it will not get resolved - we are first going to swap out the tactical bold handle for a teardrop that has a smaller circumference and see it that fixes it. If not perhaps one of the smaller bolt handles like a spiral - but I want to avoid the small handle as I think it would make the follow up shot slower.

I did quite a bit or research on the Origin and never identified the substantial difference on the bolt angle from the TL3 or I would have just got a second one of those. I consider it a design flaw although they got a ton or requests asking for it.

Has anyone experienced this, why would someone want a sweeped back handle instead of straight like the TL3 and am I alone in the way I have my trigger finger placed where this would happen - just curious and would appreciate commentary
Haven't had that problem. I swapped out my handle because the original hit the Whiskey3 chassis. I like the smaller shorter Badger Mini that is in the pic above. I also would have preferred a straight handle. I love this action, but I probably won't get another.

Haven't had that problem. I swapped out my handle because the original hit the Whiskey3 chassis. I like the smaller shorter Badger Mini that is in the pic above. I also would have preferred a straight handle. I love this action, but I probably won't get another.
I agree and thanks for responding - the Badger Mini looks like one of the Bighorn Teardrops - I switched to my original post as there seemed to be more responses there - where there are more pictures if anyone is interested

Yes, the handle is swept back on the Origin action to mimic the swept back handle of a factory Model 700 action.

Why choose the Origin over the TL3? I am wondering just for the fact I want to buy one of the two.

Why choose the Origin over the TL3? I am wondering just for the fact I want to buy one of the two.
You get most of the features of the TL3 for $425 less. The only thing I would like to see changed on the Origin is the swept bolt handle. I'm being super picky but I wish I had bought the TL3 just because of that.

Reactions: BigTy313
If you want the swept bolt handle or want to save $425 on your action and don't identify a need for an integral recoil lug.
You get most of the features of the TL3 for $425 less. The only thing I would like to see changed on the Origin is the swept bolt handle. I'm being super picky but I wish I had bought the TL3 just because of that.
It's so funny to read this type of feedback. I know it's not a serious issue, but I love hearing the feedback from every angle.

In 2017 when we were designing the Origin, the predominant feedback on the TL3 was that people wanted a swept bolt handle instead of straight. Same goes for the RimX. We hear people wanting straight handles on those instead and others saying the love the swept handle.

At least there are options, right?

Thanks - Ray

I still love running my Origins. Swept handle and all.

If anyone is thinking about which knob to run, I'm a huge fan of the Extended Spiral on my new Origin. Have the Helical Diamond on my first Origin and, while it's still really nice, most likely will be switching it out.

I prefer the straight handle on my tl3. I prefer my tl3 over my origin in general, to me the tl3 is just slicker/faster.
I still love the origin, hell I'm thinking about getting another one this year for my next build.

I prefer the straight handle on my tl3. I prefer my tl3 over my origin in general, to me the tl3 is just slicker/faster.
I still love the origin, hell I'm thinking about getting another one this year for my next build.
And I prefer the swept handle of the Origin. I asked Ray for a swept handle on the TL3-SR3 and sadly, he politely said no. Rats. But I still love my Origin.

Reactions: Vandoogle13
If anyone is thinking about which knob to run, I'm a huge fan of the Extended Spiral on my new Origin. Have the Helical Diamond on my first Origin and, while it's still really nice, most likely will be switching it out.
Could you post a pic sometime? I just ordered mine a few days ago with it but haven't really seen good up close pics

Could you post a pic sometime? I just ordered mine a few days ago with it but haven't really seen good up close pics
Lighting is terrible, but you should be able to get an idea.

IMG_0032.jpg

Vs the Helical Diamond on my other. Honestly, if you want to try the extended spiral and decide you don't like it, shoot me a message and I'd trade the helical below with you.

IMG_0033.jpg

Reactions: Army First
THe compeition bolt knob is nice. Also wish there was an option for 30MOA rail. Swept bolt is fine

I just think the straight handles look better. Functionally it hasn't matter and I definitely didn't care enough to spring for a TL3 just for that. Currently resisting buying a long action. Don't even know what I would do with it, just need a spare bolt head and part of me figures may as well get a whole action.

I just think the straight handles look better. Functionally it hasn't matter and I definitely didn't care enough to spring for a TL3 just for that. Currently resisting buying a long action. Don't even know what I would do with it,just need a spare bolt head and part of me figures may as well get a whole action.
I like how you think! lol

Reactions: Matagorda308
For anyone who might stumble upon this and be wondering, lead time looks to be around 18 weeks. Ordered 2/13 and was given a shipping date of 6/21

Can anyone point me to a 223 proof shouldered prefit or any other shouldered 223 prefit for the origin? Or even the tl3? In stock of course.

For anyone who might stumble upon this and be wondering, lead time looks to be around 18 weeks. Ordered 2/13 and was given a shipping date of 6/21
This is pretty accurate at the moment.

Like always, it's best to contact one of our dealers rather than ordering direct from us. We'll always be happy to give you a list of places to try first for a shorter lead time.

Thanks - Ray

Hello,
I am getting Origin together with a KRG Bravo and have a 22-250 barrel on the way. Will the 308 mags work, or do I need some wazoo setup?

Post your Bighorn Origin builds here.

Mine is another masterpiece by Jon Beanland.

Bighorn Origin
#3 Bartlein 5R chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor finished at 24”
McMillan Adjustable Game Scout in Desert Carbon Ambush
Triggertech Diamond
APA Bottom Metal
Bighorn 20 MOA rail
SWFA rings
Bushnell 3-12 LRTSi
Flush cups on left side.

Load development was easy. Wind was unusually calm so I decided to do it at 500. Not picky at all. Biggest group of the day was the 130gr Berger AR Hybrids at .632 MOA. Best was 42gr H4350 behind the Berger 140gr Elite Hunter. That went .498 MOA. Five 5-shot groups with 5 different loads averaged .555 MOA at 500 yards. Taking this one for Caribou in a couple of weeks.

John

C7-B3-A901-8148-414-F-AC63-D2-D2-CB8-C85-AD.jpg

I picked the best charge from my 500 yard load development and put 5 rounds on paper at 100 today to make sure I had a good zero. Wind was gusting hard and bench was really wobbly or it would have been better. Made a .1 adjustment and reset the zero indicator. Battery ran out on my chronograph so I made a guess on velocity and took it to 820 to use the velocity truing function on Ballistic AE. Group was 4.5” low at 820 so I put that in Ballistic AE and it determined true velocity was 2790. Fired one more group at 820 using 2790 velocity and it was centered on aiming point. I think we’re ready for Caribou.

John

5-B8-AFE22-5-CBD-48-C6-9062-2-C353-C165-D45.jpg

Still loving my Origin. Only change I’ve made is putting it in an MPA ultra Lite chassis. Still shoots. Five 145gr Match Burners at five hundred yards.

John

CBC6120-C-B6-E0-4-A4-C-AA47-37772-A6-C766-B.jpg

D44-D9269-77-F7-46-C8-B433-F1402-D8042-A8.jpg

Reactions: Army First